Pellegrini Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you name me one player in this current squad make-up who actually thinks they are doing us a favour by being here?

No Mario, no Carlos, no Adebayor, no Robinho, no Kolo.

It's taken a while, but the players we retain and those we now look to attain, all share something in common.

They want to win and are also nice guys.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Can you name me one player in this current squad make-up who actually thinks they are doing us a favour by being here?

It's taken a while, but the players we retain and those we now look to attain, all share something in common.

The common traits that our squad have (certainly those players who are still with us) - character, desire, professionalism, and a level of humility which stops them from feeling entitled.

BillyShears said:
franksinatra said:
The year we won the league the togetherness was there, otherwise we would not have been able to turn around the number of games we did or clinch so many last minute winners. Sadly last season it was not evident.

It wasn't mate, far from it. Balotelli was a cancer in the dressing room and our turn around coincided with his exile from the team. Togetherness comes from the management down and that's why people are mentioning it now - because it's something we've sorely lacked for the last few years.

Do you think he was unpopular in the dressing room then? I myself was not the biggest fan of his antics on the pitch but never really got the impression he was disliked in the dressing room.

I was really impressed with the team at weekend, beating a Newcastle side prepared to resort to any measure to beat us. Previously I still thought we needed to show a bit more steel and mental strength away from home to be fully deserving of the plaudits of late. That game answered a lot of questions for me and gave me a lot more faith for the tests away from home to come.

Togetherness is a funny thing though. Look at some of the characters at United over the years. Keane, Sheringham and Coles' mutual dislike, but you cannot say they did not show togetherness on the pitch. I think on the pitch we showed a 'togetherness' to win the league. If there were arguments internally I think that is a natural where egos and competitive individuals are involved.<br /><br />-- Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:38 pm --<br /><br />
BillyShears said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

The common traits that our squad have (certainly those players who are still with us) - character, desire, professionalism, and a level of humility which stops them from feeling entitled.

I would agree with that, but that process started a few years ago and as pointed out was a crucial part of the transition process.

franksinatra said:
Do you think he was unpopular in the dressing room then? I myself was not the biggest fan of his antics on the pitch but never really got the impression he was disliked in the dressing room.

I was really impressed with the team at weekend, beating a Newcastle side prepared to resort to any measure to beat us. Previously I still thought we needed to show a bit more steel and mental strength away from home to be fully deserving of the plaudits of late. That game answered a lot of questions for me and gave me a lot more faith for the tests away from home to come.

Togetherness is a funny thing though. Look at some of the characters at United over the years. Keane, Sheringham and Coles' mutual dislike, but you cannot say they did not show togetherness on the pitch. I think on the pitch we showed a 'togetherness' to win the league. If there were arguments internally I think that is a natural where egos and competitive individuals are involved.

I think with Mario the guy everyone liked his buffoonery. But Mario the footballer - not sure many in the squad were enamoured by his antics during training and during matches. Overall he was certainly more of a hinderance than a help which I reckon is why Txiki shipped him out within a couple of months of starting his job.

I take your point about different way of showing togetherness. I think for me it comes down to character. I remember in the early spring 2012 being incredibly disappointed with the players lack of character and fight as United whittled down our lead at the top of the league then overtook us.

Overall though we're in good hands and good shape now and that's all that matters!<br /><br />-- Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:45 pm --<br /><br />
franksinatra said:
I would agree with that, but that process started a few years ago and as pointed out was a crucial part of the transition process.

I think the players we signed who are still with us are the core reason why the process of togetherness/character whatever you want to call it started a few years ago. We are blessed to have players like Zaba, Hart, Kompany, Lescott, Silva, Yaya, Clichy, etc who are all IMO model professionals and super low maintenance.

tolmie's hairdoo said:

You've missed someone who thought they were doing us a favour by being here ;-)

BillyShears said:
franksinatra said:

Togetherness is a funny thing though. Look at some of the characters at United over the years. Keane, Sheringham and Coles' mutual dislike, but you cannot say they did not show togetherness on the pitch. I think on the pitch we showed a 'togetherness' to win the league. If there were arguments internally I think that is a natural where egos and competitive individuals are involved.

I think with Mario the guy everyone liked his buffoonery. But Mario the footballer - not sure many in the squad were enamoured by his antics during training and during matches. Overall he was certainly more of a hinderance than a help which I reckon is why Txiki shipped him out within a couple of months of starting his job.

I take your point about different way of showing togetherness. I think for me it comes down to character. I remember in the early spring 2012 being incredibly disappointed with the players lack of character and fight as United whittled down our lead at the top of the league then overtook us.

Overall though we're in good hands and good shape now and that's all that matters!

I can see that with Mario. Funnily enough, if anything, Mancini probably over indulged him, to the detriment of Mario and City, a criticism not often directed at him.

For me though the players like Bellamy, Robinho, Ade were the real characters who needed removing from the equation. Bellamy seemed to have very little self-perception of the way he behaved, Ade, just as now, only wished to display his talents for a short period of time and Robinho had little regard for the club besides self-promotion.

That dropping of points was disappointing, but more reflects the small margin of error that season, as if you looked at it we only lost five games all season. We hardly capitulated United just kept on winning.

Without question Navas, Negredo and Fernandinho are the type of characters we should be targeting rather than gamble on a player with huge potential but with a questionable attitude. Great additions to previous transfers windows when top class players like Aguero, Silva, Yaya and Milner were added who also have an excellent attitude.

Didsbury Dave said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

You've missed someone who thought they were doing us a favour by being here ;-)

Stop it mate. ive got a set of 3 year old twins being naughty enough today without you starting ;-)

tolmie's hairdoo said:

I agree with you, but I think its fair to say that we also needed a certain type of player to raise our profile enough after the takeover, to even begin to attract the best players, we needed players with big ego's, and players who undoubtedly only came for the money, though the early signings of Kompany and Zab were key too, and something we still owe a debt to Hughes for. (I think you are probably a bit harsh on Kolo, I never thought his ego was bigger than the club, (his pay probably was but that wasn't his fault) and for me he always gave his best, its just his best was superseded by the club very quickly, but even last year he was an able deputy on many occasions.)

The growth in the club between 2008 and now has been enormous, but without signing the likes of Bellamy, Adebayor, Tevez, and even Balotelli, we wouldn't have got here so quickly, so we shouldn't dismiss them as they are part of our success.

The balance we now appear to have though is great, of everyone, the only one I think that still doesn't really fit is Edin Dzeko, who - and this will no doubt attract his fan boys to crucify me - is one of the few that thinks more about "me", than the club, though in recent weeks he's definitely shown signs of getting over it, and I'm convinced someone has given a large boost in confidence.

It seems everyone else is now pulling together for the club, something that couldn't be said under the 2 previous managers, and I'd include both managers in that, as they were also more about "me" than the club as well. In Mancini's case, I think he was what was needed at the time, and it worked, it got us silverware.

We've moved on now though and we look far better for it, it still doesn't guarantee trophies obviously, though personally I think things look good on that front.

Billy you have missed one name from your good list, James Milner, probably the most unselfish player in our squad, if he was asked to go in goal I suspect he would. We never hear much from him, he plays in nearly every match, and he'll play just about anywhere, a very under rated professional in many ways.

cleavers said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

I agree with you, but I think its fair to say that we also needed a certain type of player to raise our profile enough after the takeover, to even begin to attract the best players, we needed players with big ego's, and players who undoubtedly only came for the money, though the early signings of Kompany and Zab were key too, and something we still owe a debt to Hughes for. (I think you are probably a bit harsh on Kolo, I never thought his ego was bigger than the club, (his pay probably was but that wasn't his fault) and for me he always gave his best, its just his best was superseded by the club very quickly, but even last year he was an able deputy on many occasions.)

The growth in the club between 2008 and now has been enormous, but without signing the likes of Bellamy, Adebayor, Tevez, and even Balotelli, we wouldn't have got here so quickly, so we shouldn't dismiss them as they are part of our success.

The balance we now appear to have though is great, of everyone, the only one I think that still doesn't really fit is Edin Dzeko, who - and this will no doubt attract his fan boys to crucify me - is one of the few that thinks more about "me", than the club, though in recent weeks he's definitely shown signs of getting over it, and I'm convinced someone has given a large boost in confidence.

It seems everyone else is now pulling together for the club, something that couldn't be said under the 2 previous managers, and I'd include both managers in that, as they were also more about "me" than the club as well. In Mancini's case, I think he was what was needed at the time, and it worked, it got us silverware.

We've moved on now though and we look far better for it, it still doesn't guarantee trophies obviously, though personally I think things look good on that front.

Billy you have missed one name from your good list, James Milner, probably the most unselfish player in our squad, if he was asked to go in goal I suspect he would. We never hear much from him, he plays in nearly every match, and he'll play just about anywhere, a very under rated professional in many ways.

It was fascinating to watch the press conference for New York City FC, and in particular the comments by the new Manager, Jason Kreis, on the type of player that he is seeking to recruit for the new franchise.

He spoke at length about the character of the individual, about the recruitment process not just being focused on the quality of the football skills. He said he wanted players who were the right fit for the club.

This is why we will probably wont see the mad Mario type in the club anymore. Txiki looks for players who put the shirt before individual rewards. You see this when Negredo and Fernandinho are interviewed after games. It's not about them. They are modest and quite humble. Both speak about the team rather than their own achievements. I noted that Jimmy Milner said that the new players are all great lads. I think he recognises kindred spirits in the new players.

So in the rapid evolution of the club, there was a time and a place for the madness of Mario and Carlos. A time and a place for the colour and dash of Roberto. However that era is now over. In the future I think we will continue to recruit players with the right character.

In doing so the club will grow to even greater success.

I think we have a squad that consists for the most part of players that will work hard, train hard and listen to the manager and who want to win trophies. Listening to comments about Ronaldo this week after his ballon d'or win, his coaches have said how hard he works in training and how he is still trying to learn from them. I think there is a danger when clubs have lots of money, in buying players that think they deserve to be winning things rather than thinking if they work hard they can win things. If Mario had the mentality of Negredo for example then he would be one of the best players in the world. Milner is a fantastic footballer who has sacrificed lifestyle to ensure he has a better career. He may not always be a match winner but he will give 100% and work hard for 90mins in order to help the team win. We bought players like Kompany, Zabaleta, Navas and Negredo who played for good sides but didnt have much opportunity to win things, they have come in and excelled for City and have that hard working attitude. We have complimented that with players like Yaya, Silva, Nasri, Aguero who could have gone to numerous clubs but have shown the team spirit and attitude to help us win trophies. Although Yaya is often criticised, his performances in the FA Cup semi derby, FA Cup final, game away v Newcastle and numerous big games shows how important he is.

I have often said that because of our quick transition we needed to go from C class players to B class to A class and beyond, it wasn't possible to go straight to the top. On that journey we have had Robinho, Bellamy, Bridge, Kolo, Mario, Tevez and also picked up stars of our squad in Zab and Kompany. Moving forward if we continue to buy well we can have a Barcelona style policy of a style of play and a mentality that players will want to be a part of. And not having a Real Madrid policy of buying the name and filling a squad with egotistical players. The way Pellegrini has managed to integrate our new signings suggests both our scouting network and our management staff are looking very very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.