Pep’s approach to youth

But it’s not being most profitable if sancho and Brahim end up getting transfer fees of 70m+. With some more game time, we could have kept them.

I get that most people seem to disagree with me, and maybe I sound like I want a complete overhaul of how we operate, but I’ll have to agree to disagree with most if they think beating burton Albion 9-0 with a very strong team and losing Brahim Díaz, is better than winning 2-0 and keeping him.

Diaz likely would've played that game against Burton had he stuck around, just like academy boys Garcia and Muric did. Diaz started all three of the League Cup games before Christmas.

But it’s not being most profitable if sancho and Brahim end up getting transfer fees of 70m+. With some more game time, we could have kept them.

I get that most people seem to disagree with me, and maybe I sound like I want a complete overhaul of how we operate, but I’ll have to agree to disagree with most if they think beating burton Albion 9-0 with a very strong team and losing Brahim Díaz, is better than winning 2-0 and keeping him.

Lots of ifs and maybes. Yes they could have stayed and might have played and we might have won 2-0, or we might have lost.

I’m happy counting our trophies and forgetting about players who don’t want to be here.

But Brahim has gone to Madrid, and particularly under Zidane, has done very well. Jadon the same. We’re obviously better than both of those sides, but the players are clearly good enough that they could have done latex a bigger part than they were being offered (such as regular cup games, league starts against Huddersfield etc) but we never offered them that. Their improvement would come through being part of those games. Loan options are great, but it’s too late for that when we’ve allowed their contracts to get into a final year.

We can play the line of ‘if it’s messi then he’ll play’ but we’ll keep losing these players, who will become great players and we will wish we hadn’t lost them further down the line.

Foden is an example of it working, but, tbh, he could have been given opportunities against Huddersfield etc much earlier, and if he wasn’t blue through and through, I think there’s a massive chance he’d have left us also.

Not sure Diaz has done too well at Madrid - considering they've been a poor team this year. Sancho just wanted to play - anywhere - and chose a country where there is a two team league. Some players want an easy pathway - others are prepared to fight. I know which categories Sancho and Foden fall into. We don't keep losing players. All teams lose players, the media just like to highlight those that leave City

A euro league for u/23's is needed, that way the club can concentrate on first team players whilst the next crop are playing meaningful competitive games, without the background noise of impatient critics.Playing the best euro sides will hasten the path to "mens football", the present system does nothing to narrow that gap. All imo of course.

Majority aren’t good enough to make it at the top level. Clubs like us and others will snap up the potential talent whilst they can, then when it’s quickly apparent they’re not up to standard they will get shipped on after hardly featuring around the squad.

I trust that Pep can see the ones that are suitable for our aspirations.

I think it's only natural that he cannot focus on the academy considering the timeframe he will be the head coach. At Barcelona he worked closely with the coaching staff of the youth teams and would regularly integrate them into the first team - not sure he has the same luxury at City but just my observation. I am sure he cares about it but also recognizes it is not the same as how it is done in the Primera Liga
not playing the youth more and not focusing on the youth are not the same thing.
i'll bet he knows all our youth very well, and is constantly evaluating them.

Reactions: CC1
Dax777 had a good line,
"get in line"
young or old you work for your spot, If you feel your not getting your chance then by all means move on, good luck, we wish you the best.
the manager has the final say, and we all scratch our heads sometimes,
but overall Pep has proved to make good decisions based on RESULTS.
I like the results.
The owners want results, and when we have the luxury to buy more of the better established players, youth opportunities are going to suffer.
I certainly don't think not playing youth and resting veterans cost us against Spurs in the CL.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.