Pep- dont expect......

All season we here about how terrible Pellars has been and how he has underachieved with this squad. And then at season end, the very same folks who thought Pellars uselessness is why we lost, now think we need 5 Starters to compete?

It's more to do with age I think. The style of football Guardiola is likely to demand from his players is not going to suit some of our ageing players. They could just about manage under Pellegrini's style but next season will see more being expected of them and they'll be another year older. Some are going to need replacing sooner rather than later.

While I agree with you, I am happy Bill holds the view he does. Coz at least it shows a consistency most on this threads are lacking.

All season we here about how terrible Pellars has been and how he has underachieved with this squad. And then at season end, the very same folks who thought Pellars uselessness is why we lost, now think we need 5 Starters to compete?

That just sounds incongruent to me. If we need 4 or 5 starters to compete, then one can't but view Pellars last season as a success when he wins a cup, gets to the Semis of another, in spite of major injury to every top player on his squad bar Hart.

Oh well. I guess that's for another thread :)

It's about improving.

Every other club in the league is going to, a lot, especially the better ones. Leicester won it this season without competition from us Chelsea Liverpool or Utd.

If they win it next season, they will have to fend off competition from some of those clubs. We need to be in that list.

While I agree with you, I am happy Bill holds the view he does. Coz at least it shows a consistency most on this threads are lacking.

That just sounds incongruent to me. If we need 4 or 5 starters to compete, then one can't but view Pellars last season as a success when he wins a cup, gets to the Semis of another, in spite of major injury to every top player on his squad bar Hart.

Oh well. I guess that's for another thread :)

Thanks for your reasoned response. I disagreed with Bill for the reasons that you state. For me, the biggest concern this year has been the lack of strength in depth of our squad, and when we were carrying the injuries we had to our stellar names, I believe we were found wanting.

Thanks for your reasoned response. I disagreed with Bill for the reasons that you state. For me, the biggest concern this year has been the lack of strength in depth of our squad, and when we were carrying the injuries we had to our stellar names, I believe we were found wanting.
Mp should have adjusted our game to take account of key players missing but he ploughed on playing the same way but with players that weren't suited to it,square pegs in round holes etc

It's more to do with age I think. The style of football Guardiola is likely to demand from his players is not going to suit some of our ageing players. They could just about manage under Pellegrini's style but next season will see more being expected of them and they'll be another year older. Some are going to need replacing sooner rather than later.
I don't disagree. But I'd argue they were already too old this season and hence why we struggled. They couldn't hold up the whole season and play the Pelegrini way. We looked great the 1st 5 weeks when they were all fresh off a summer rest. But as the week's turned to months, the age began to show. Yaya ( never the most hardworking to start with) Silva, Kompany, Demi ( when forced on due to Injury) Fernandihno, Sagna, Kola, and Clichy. All have lost half a step.

Individually it's not that much of an issue. But collectively, it is damning. You see more off days from players. Tremendous drop in performance on '2 a week' weeks and the like. Higher propensity for injury and longer periods before a return optimum performance levels ( if they return at all) E.t.c.

When you factor that in, and yes some of Pellars errors, it's no surprise we had a subpar season.

It's about improving.

Every other club in the league is going to, a lot, especially the better ones. Leicester won it this season without competition from us Chelsea Liverpool or Utd.

If they win it next season, they will have to fend off competition from some of those clubs. We need to be in that list.
I agree with you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.