Pep Guardiola - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, it's worthless to discuss that, tbh, I'd leave it after next two sentences. Simeone made a great results with Atletico, but I'd never ever like to see him anywhere close to City. His teams play neanderthal football and are miles, miles away from the style our players are suited for. Unlike Pochettino's.

Same with Poch

Think Ten Hag would be the most City like manager after Pep to continue the possession model the club has. Nagelsmann good option too. Thomas Tuchel as well. Luis Enrique maybe as well?

All worthy options to think about. After Pochettino :) maybe, maybe Enrique is something as safe as Pochettino.

I'm not sure how you can say Pep wants a settled team when he makes 4/5 changes every game. The only thing that is settled is Ederson, Sterling, Kev and Dinho play.

The team against rags and spurs was almost identical, especially regarding midfield and attack.

dont get the obsession with trophies. its all about which manager is the most suited to the club.

Txiki hired Rijkaard in 2003 who got relegated in Netherlands. 3 years later won the Champions League

Exactly. Find the right man for our job and trophies will follow.

I'm not saying Pochettino should follow Pep but it's a bit weird to say one's brand of football is more likely to win trophies when the other has never been afforded the luxuries of the other.

I'm still in the "he is the best we can get" camp, but if he doesn't intend to extend his contract, then I'm not keen watching team next year playing for manager they know they won't play the season after. That's usually a receipt for shit season.

In case of non-extending, I'd take pochettino in the summer.

You have at least had it in you to put a name forward. Poch is a good manager, we could do worse than him.

But i'd still prefer to see pep see out his contract. Extension or not. Bayern knew he was leaving, still swept it domestically and had a go in champs league. Barca knew long before he made it official, still saw some amazing 'farewell' football. No reason that can't happen too, knee-jerk thinking otherwise.

I think a lot of people underestimate the role of injuries. After Kompany retired our first choice CBs were supposed to be Laporte and Stones. From 12 months between them they have missed 9, and that might be generous. Otamendi has seriously regressed and Dinho isn't a CB in the first place, apart from being 34 y.o. In addition to that Mendy has struggled again, Zinch was injured 2 months too, Angelino wasn't good. There have been also many small injuries, Raz had to play many games because Sane was out...

Thought Pep had to use more often 3 at the back and experiment with Kyle at CB. He has his reasons to prefer other options though. Shit seasons happen. We can still rescue this one and make it a big success story but are the energy and determination of the players there to do it?
Being devil’s advocate here:

• If we were thought to be light at CB on Vinny’s retirement, we could have bought someone. And I don’t mean Slabhead at £80m.
  • Instead it appears - and I’m not knocking it - the club believed they had sufficient resources in Laporte, Ota, Stones and Garcia plus a potential conversion in Fern. (Kyle? No thanks.)
  • Garcia - like Foden - lives on the bench despite showing promise. If Pep deems him shit, why was he in the CB equation?
  • Yes, Sane has been out but Mahrez has finally established himself this season. Good stats. Not everybody likes his application but the same was true of Sane
  • KDB is back after missing a lot of 2018/19
  • Mendy is back, but his fragility was a known factor in the close season.
  • Was Angelino bought as genuine cover or to sell on?
  • Zinc - bless his cotton socks - wasn’t a huge miss at LB.
  • Defensive coaching appears to be either wank or non-existent.
That said, Eric has been sorely missed.

I agree with your last sentence. Let’s go for whatever we can the rest of the season, give our kids a fair fcuking crack and re-group next year. Regrettably I think the CL is pie in the sky.

I'm still in the "he is the best we can get" camp, but if he doesn't intend to extend his contract, then I'm not keen watching team next year playing for manager they know they won't play the season after. That's usually a receipt for shit season.
In case of non-extending, I'd take pochettino in the summer.
This^
The team needs a rebuild.
If the owners are prepared to sanction the large investment required they are entitled to ask Pep for a three year commitment to carry that process through.
You can't have a situation where Pep stays for just one year with all the uncertainty that will bring - players will be reluctant to come and play for Pep not knowing if he's staying, constant media questions to Pep about his future, existing players could also become unsettled, and any new manager that came in would be saddled with somebody else's team maybe not to his liking.
We may get overtaken by events if we exit the CL and then it may be that a parting of the ways will then come in the summer.
Personally I would be happy if Pep agreed an extra two years and I hope the owners would.
Bottom line is - one year from Pep without any further commitment is the worst of all worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.