Pep Guardiola - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with everything you said except Klopp part. But Klopp didn't have the best resources at Liverpool?!
I would also put in Mourinho's porto who won everything in 3rd criteria.
Interesting.

Yes, Mourinho’s success with Porto would certainly fit category 3. However, despite that plus his excellent achievements in terms of trophies, Pep‘s superiority on criterion 2 shades it for me. He’s been supremely “functional”.

Add to that, I can’t stand the moaning cnut!

I disagree with you on Klopp. He has thrived on much lower resources than Mourinho at Chelsea or Pep at any club (Including City). He didn’t inherit a Messi, Merlin, Kun or Vinny. His team building has been far more cost efficient, even allowing for the Coutinho financial miracle. Again though, his artistic merit factor is inferior to Pep’s. A brilliant manager though.

Horses for courses. All three are serious contenders in their own ways.

Interesting.

Yes, Mourinho’s success with Porto would certainly fit category 3. However, despite that plus his excellent achievements in terms of trophies, Pep‘s superiority on criterion 2 shades it for me. He’s been supremely “functional”.

Add to that, I can’t stand the moaning cnut!

I disagree with you on Klopp. He has thrived on much lower resources than Mourinho at Chelsea or Pep at any club (Including City). He didn’t inherit a Messi, Merlin, Kun or Vinny. His team building has been far more cost efficient, even allowing for the Coutinho financial miracle. Again though, his artistic merit factor is inferior to Pep’s. A brilliant manager though.

Horses for courses. All three are serious contenders in their own ways.
Klopp and Guardiola just work different. Whereas it is the "beauty of the game" with Pep it is about "mentality" and teamwork with Pep. Klopp's main playmaker is pressing - Pep's is passing and positioning. Be careful - all elements can be found in both styles, too - it is just what the coaches emphasize on.

This awards are bullocks. When it is about one year all of the coaching awards should have gone to Flick. When it is about many years Guardiola probably had the biggest influence not just on his teams but on new coaches, too. Getting trophies a lot has too match - it is not just about coaching.

We
Klopp and Guardiola just work different. Whereas it is the "beauty of the game" with Pep it is about "mentality" and teamwork with Pep. Klopp's main playmaker is pressing - Pep's is passing and positioning. Be careful - all elements can be found in both styles, too - it is just what the coaches emphasize on.

This awards are bullocks. When it is about one year all of the coaching awards should have gone to Flick. When it is about many years Guardiola probably had the biggest influence not just on his teams but on new coaches, too. Getting trophies a lot has too match - it is not just about coaching.
We were discussing “Coach of the Century, 2001-2020” and my post was in that context.

(For which read century so far, because it‘s otherwise a stupid label.)

One of the best performances of his career as a manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.