Pep Guardiola - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s talking about us playing 235
Yes i know,but he stated he prepared as per the game last season.

Irrespective of Peps approach yesterday.....Surely factoring Haaland into our team would have made his game plan pointless.

I've got mixed feelings but mainly due to how sterile it all felt, particularly in the first half. We had some space out wide due to crowding the middle but we couldn't really do much with it. But equally, West Ham are a dangerous side who are very effective on the counter and considering the results they got at home last season to win so comfortably is testament to how brilliant the system worked. They had no opportunity to slice through us or counter attack, we forced them to go wider because we had numbers in the middle and they didn't really know what to do, it wasn't something they were expecting so we just kept the ball. I'd imagine even if it was 0-0 with 15 minutes to go they'd have been spent having chased the ball and we'd have created opportunities with a subtle tweak in formation.

The inverted role has been something Pep's used with Delph, Zin and Cancelo (very effective from the RB role). Having both in there was new - at least I can't recall a game where I've noticed it! Walker is never going to be creating the way Cancelo can but he can keep the ball and it means that the opposition have to go long to try and get past us and he'll be there preventing runners from slicing through us and if Dias/Ake get beaten out wide Walker will be back in a central position to cover. Cancelo has the ability to beat a man and then play in Haaland or an attacking midfielder...

It's bloody genius on reflection!

Yes i know,but he stated he prepared as per the game last season.

Irrespective of Peps approach yesterday.....Surely factoring Haaland into our team would have made his game plan pointless.
I'm sure Moyes factored Haaland in :-)

The great thing, hopefully, for us is that opponents can make plans for Haaland and De Bruyne but unless they sit a lot of men very deep and have zero lapses in concentration, they are likely to get cut open at some point.

Pep and City are still going to have to find ways to breakdown massed defences but maybe an Exocet has been repalced by a nuke in Pep's arsenal.

I've got mixed feelings but mainly due to how sterile it all felt, particularly in the first half. We had some space out wide due to crowding the middle but we couldn't really do much with it. But equally, West Ham are a dangerous side who are very effective on the counter and considering the results they got at home last season to win so comfortably is testament to how brilliant the system worked. They had no opportunity to slice through us or counter attack, we forced them to go wider because we had numbers in the middle and they didn't really know what to do, it wasn't something they were expecting so we just kept the ball. I'd imagine even if it was 0-0 with 15 minutes to go they'd have been spent having chased the ball and we'd have created opportunities with a subtle tweak in formation.

The inverted role has been something Pep's used with Delph, Zin and Cancelo (very effective from the RB role). Having both in there was new - at least I can't recall a game where I've noticed it! Walker is never going to be creating the way Cancelo can but he can keep the ball and it means that the opposition have to go long to try and get past us and he'll be there preventing runners from slicing through us and if Dias/Ake get beaten out wide Walker will be back in a central position to cover. Cancelo has the ability to beat a man and then play in Haaland or an attacking midfielder...

It's bloody genius on reflection!
Antonio agrees.....

️ Michail Antonio on Man City:

"Their system is liquid. It's liquid. It can't be contained. When I say to you, it's that they're rotating everywhere. [Joao] Cancelo's popping up in midfield, Kyle Walker playing midfield, then [Jack] Grealish would be out wide..."

"Then Bernardo [Silva] would be inside him, so the full-backs can't come and mark and get tight. It was a masterclass. It's just one of those things where you've got to put your hands up and say they were unbelievable..."

Antonio agrees.....

"Their system is liquid. It's liquid. It can't be contained. When I say to you, it's that they're rotating everywhere. [Joao] Cancelo's popping up in midfield, Kyle Walker playing midfield, then [Jack] Grealish would be out wide..."

"Then Bernardo [Silva] would be inside him, so the full-backs can't come and mark and get tight. It was a masterclass. It's just one of those things where you've got to put your hands up and say they were unbelievable..."

A lot of the media have commented on how poor or lacking in intensity West Ham were but Moyes and now Antonio have revealed it was purely down to how we played. They wanted to get at us, they just couldn't get nor keep the ball for long enough to do anything.

Antonio agrees.....

I listened to his interview and it genuinely sounds like Antonio had never seen anything like it. I will always remember these times.

Seems to me , he basically confirmed his extension. "We will try this season , next season"

Antonio agrees.....

Que?

Between this and the 'you're going to be the one who asks me about Haaland every week aren't you?' - it seems Pep can't be arsed with fanatical Erling questions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.