Pep Guardiola - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has always valued the team above the individual, hence those decisions to remove Ronaldinho, Deco, et al. from the Barcelona team.

There is a myth with that.

Ronaldinho leaves Barça because the doctors in the medical exam diagnosed "not suitable for elite sport". Not because of Pep.

He wanted to kick Piqué out, for example, and he couldn't, that's why he leaves Barça (in addition to other reasons).

But in fact, Pep is a guy very idealist and too much idealist for being a football man.

For you understand, Pep hates typical player who if police stop him for committing a traffic offense he answers to the cop "but.... do you know who you're talking to?".

Piqué, Ibrahimovic or Etoo are typical guys that would answer that.

Puyol, De Bruyne or Haaland, no.

Last edited:
I've got mixed feelings but mainly due to how sterile it all felt, particularly in the first half. We had some space out wide due to crowding the middle but we couldn't really do much with it. But equally, West Ham are a dangerous side who are very effective on the counter and considering the results they got at home last season to win so comfortably is testament to how brilliant the system worked. They had no opportunity to slice through us or counter attack, we forced them to go wider because we had numbers in the middle and they didn't really know what to do, it wasn't something they were expecting so we just kept the ball. I'd imagine even if it was 0-0 with 15 minutes to go they'd have been spent having chased the ball and we'd have created opportunities with a subtle tweak in formation.

The inverted role has been something Pep's used with Delph, Zin and Cancelo (very effective from the RB role). Having both in there was new - at least I can't recall a game where I've noticed it! Walker is never going to be creating the way Cancelo can but he can keep the ball and it means that the opposition have to go long to try and get past us and he'll be there preventing runners from slicing through us and if Dias/Ake get beaten out wide Walker will be back in a central position to cover. Cancelo has the ability to beat a man and then play in Haaland or an attacking midfielder...

It's bloody genius on reflection!

with all due respect it wasnt new at all, in fact im almost 100% sure he did in his first game as a city coach, both clichy and sagna played as interiors vs Sunderland (who were coached by Moyes too) And im sure he did it at Bayern numerous times. In fact, Pep said the same to the press after the match

Its also used not purely as a defensive measure but ofensive as well, it prevents teams locking in and stiffling rodri and our build up. The obvious counter is to man mark the three and dare the center backs to come out with the ball but then we have numerical superiority which means we win

Moyes just wasnt expecting it and got exposed, guess he should've watched more old tapes

Last edited:
Nice interview with Pep today on Sky:

hhttps://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...etter-after-world-cup-i-will-decide-my-future

Says he will decide his future after the World Cup. His comments reinforce the view that the most likely reason for him not to extend is because he wants a break. I do hope that if that should be the case, City say to him take a year off and we will find an interim solution so long as you promise to come back for "x" more years.

Would need careful handling and might invovle some short-term sacrifice for long-term gain but with an expereinced squad and coaching staff, it might not be much of a sacrifice.

If any team could allow Pep time off to recharge the batteries then its us. A season of Big Sam would work wonders on the squad realising how good they have it at City !!!! Serious about the first bit, obviously not the second bit !

hhttps://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...etter-after-world-cup-i-will-decide-my-future

Says he will decide his future after the World Cup. His comments reinforce the view that the most likely reason for him not to extend is because he wants a break. I do hope that if that should be the case, City say to him take a year off and we will find an interim solution so long as you promise to come back for "x" more years.

Would need careful handling and might invovle some short-term sacrifice for long-term gain but with an expereinced squad and coaching staff, it might not be much of a sacrifice.
What if the interim does very well and is liked though, and would any elite manager take a job that he knows even if he does well, he won’t be able to continue?

Anyway I trust Pep and the board to make the right decisions that they feel is best for the club.

A year of Rodolpho and the gang keeping things ticking over, probably not hitting the same heights but continuing with the club's current philosophies, in exchange for Pep coming back rejuvenated and happy to stay for several more years, seems a small price to pay.

What if the interim does very well and is liked though, and would any elite manager take a job that he knows even if he does well, he won’t be able to continue?

Anyway I trust Pep and the board to make the right decisions that they feel is best for the club.

If it happens i very much doubt it will, it be from within the appointment I’d guess..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.