Pep Guardiola - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will get hammered for saying it, I’m sure, and while last season creates a treasure trove of reasons why I will be called crazy, but I think Pep’s time at City has almost run its course and the lack of bringing in the talent we clearly needed during the off season to replace the level of quality of those who left is only exacerbating Pep’s weaknesses.

He NEEDS the best players in the world to play his “full pitch Rondo” style and, as we have seen with Phillips, if you don’t have that in such a key position, then the whole system suffers.

We also saw it with Dias bringing the ball out from the back and pinging it forward to Alvarez and Haaland, who rarely made the ball stick because the pass was errant or they were under too much pressure to accept the pinged pass.

Lastly, I think some people still don’t understand just how technically gifted a player has to be to play in a Pep team, and when there are decrements in that area, either acutely in one game or chronically over a sustained period, then the player sticks out like a sore thumb and the entire system suffers.

Accepting the ball under pressure, controlling it and accurately, and then passing it into a lane where the player receiving it wants to receive it…over an over and over again (600-700 times a game) is the second hardest thing in football after putting it in the net.

We are, often and perhaps (somewhat arrogantly) expectedly of late, a well oiled machine when the big names are playing and on their game. Over the last 4 hrs, though, not only have we not had the big names, but their understudies have illustrated just how good those big name stars are when trying to replicate the skill and precision required. That doesn’t bode well for the next 2 away games in which Draws might be seen as a good result, leaving City with no wins in 4!

January and Summer 24 are going to be massive transfer windows for City. We have aging stars, stars at their peak and potential stars who need to show more than just their potential.

Without a very deliberate reorganization of who, what and where…which I feel went off the rails this summer and has left us with too many stop-gaps…we may very well fall back into the Top Six pack looking to qualify for the Champions League.

There are teams being built right now to try to replicate our success. It only takes one or two to be fairly successful to create a little chaos at the top…and that’s with Chelsea and United still struggling!

With Pe supposedly only 1 more season from being done at City, the next 12-18 months are going to be a very interesting period, especially given this project was literally built on getting Ferran & Txiki to build the club that Pep would want to lead!

I know it is “hair on fire” stuff yo even suggest it after two bad games, but last season may have been “Peak Man City” for my lifetime, which has included watching the club in person for about 55 years and hopefully another 20 or so!

We are a “defend with a 5-4-1 and break out on the counter” opponent for far too many clubs for us not to have an answer to that by now, but I fear that when “lesser” teams use this tactic against us so successfully, it becomes the norm, yet we haven’t found the answer against far too many of them!

Success has bred these opponents, but it is too productive (1 shot on target and we lose 2-1) to NOT use it!

I’m certainly not a “Pep out!” idiot, but I’m starting to become a little bit of a “WTF Pep?!” at some of what I’m seeing.
You people will never, ever, ever, ever learn, will you. Never.

We broke every record in English football and you didn't learn.
We won the domestic treble and you didn't learn.
We won the league three times in a row and you didn't learn

Now we've won the proper treble and you still haven't learned.

Tthis is such an idiotic post that I will remember it and I will bump it on this very forum at the end of the season. For fuck's sake.

Its no different to last season or the season before or the season before that. Everton at home. Brentford at home. Plenty of other games we have looked susceptible to the counter. We are never on it all season, we peak by design.

This season is playing out like all the rest so far. I think we're doing better than expected considering 4 of our most important players are missing for 3 games and 3 of them have been out for longer. Add to that Gundogan is gone who was another incredibly important player on and off the pitch.

And if we dont win the league, then thats how it goes sometimes. We have injuries to key players and a season of transition. No one I would trust more than Pep to guide us through it.
I see that completely, and understand it. That said, it just feels so staid and disjointed this season to me. We haven’t really played anyone, we are top of the League and only lost 1 game, so I also understand why the “FFS?!” from people, but it just feels different to me this season.

Hand to God, I hope we win everything and beat everyone, but we just seem so I’ll-equipped at the moment and I’m not sure Pep knows the “who, in what position, in what formation, with what tactics” yet. Hopefully, that comes sooner than later, because the current “everyone can play everywhere” looks a bit shit and devoid of substance. I mean, Gomez from Right Wing to Left Full Back is quite a switch, then people moan he doesn’t do the business in either position and just isn’t good enough?!

You people will never, ever, ever, ever learn, will you. Never.

We broke every record in English football and you didn't learn.
We won the domestic treble and you didn't learn.
We won the league three times in a row and you didn't learn

Now we've won the proper treble and you still haven't learned.

Tthis is such an idiotic post that I will remember it and I will bump it on this very forum at the end of the season. For fuck's sake.
Im not sure who “You people” are, but if you mean lifelong football fans who played professionally and just feel like they’re seeing something a little different, then you got it exactly right!

I don’t go on the match day threads and set my hair on fire, but I do watch every game and try to sort out my thoughts on what I saw.

Regardless of what happens, and I hope it is brilliance again in every competition from here, I won’t waste my time, or an ounce of vitriol, shoving your Internet forum thoughts, concerns, or musings up your arse for any reason ever.

I see that completely, and understand it. That said, it just feels so staid and disjointed this season to me. We haven’t really played anyone, we are top of the League and only lost 1 game, so I also understand why the “FFS?!” from people, but it just feels different to me this season.

Hand to God, I hope we win everything and beat everyone, but we just seem so I’ll-equipped at the moment and I’m not sure Pep knows the “who, in what position, in what formation, with what tactics” yet. Hopefully, that comes sooner than later, because the current “everyone can play everywhere” looks a bit shit and devoid of substance. I mean, Gomez from Right Wing to Left Full Back is quite a switch, then people moan he doesn’t do the business in either position and just isn’t good enough?!
I know where youre coming from, Pep has plenty of mad ideas and they dont always work. Stones always looked a cert for DM and a couple of seasons ago, he played there v Palace at home and was lost. He was pretty bad. Fast forward to last year and he looked born to the role. Sometimes the idea is right, it just takes a little more time. Gomez at RW i think was an experiment in a game that we could afford to experiment in. I highly doubt we would see it in the league or CL. Or maybbe we will :P

We can see already Pep has made adjustments for the loss of KBD. Walker occupying the RW on his own when we have the ball. I dont particularly like it against some opposition. I think it will be a useful tactic though against others. But I'm willing to bet when it gels its dynamite.

It could be this season is a struggle. I can fully understand after the gargantuan effort last season. But I bet unlike, Liverpool, Arsenal, United and Chelsea, our "off season" still gets us top 3.

But I think we'll roll along till December, stay in the race and turn on the burners. If we dont do it, then 4 on the run still stands unbroken and for good reason.

I think we've got to factor in that Grealish is only just back to full fitness, no stones, no kev, bernardo missing the last couple of games, kovacic injured. When you add that all up and the loss of Gundo it was always going to be tough. I completely get what you're saying and admire your bravery for saying it out loud! - Lets see where we are in 6 weeks.

edit - the gomez thing was daft, i think even the bluest of blues would admit that.

I know where youre coming from, Pep has plenty of mad ideas and they dont always work. Stones always looked a cert for DM and a couple of seasons ago, he played there v Palace at home and was lost. He was pretty bad. Fast forward to last year and he looked born to the role. Sometimes the idea is right, it just takes a little more time. Gomez at RW i think was an experiment in a game that we could afford to experiment in. I highly doubt we would see it in the league or CL. Or maybbe we will :P

We can see already Pep has made adjustments for the loss of KBD. Walker occupying the RW on his own when we have the ball. I dont particularly like it against some opposition. I think it will be a useful tactic though against others. But I'm willing to bet when it gels its dynamite.

It could be this season is a struggle. I can fully understand after the gargantuan effort last season. But I bet unlike, Liverpool, Arsenal, United and Chelsea, our "off season" still gets us top 3.

But I think we'll roll along till December, stay in the race and turn on the burners. If we dont do it, then 4 on the run still stands unbroken and for good reason.
Thank you for the thoughtful response.

I think we've got to factor in that Grealish is only just back to full fitness, no stones, no kev, bernardo missing the last couple of games, kovacic injured. When you add that all up and the loss of Gundo it was always going to be tough. I completely get what you're saying and admire your bravery for saying it out loud! - Lets see where we are in 6 weeks.

edit - the gomez thing was daft, i think even the bluest of blues would admit that.
Thank you for the considered response. It’s almost like we’re having a discussion! ;-)

Crazy, huh?!

Anyone notice how relaxed he looks this season . (Apart from the off outburst on the touch line ;) ) after last season heroics it seems to have lifted a weight of his shoulders winning the Champs League. Post match interview was brilliant, a very jovial and hungry Pep!!

O

On the Stones point,
Most managers would have seen the Palace game and said nope, doesn’t work
pep took at a 17 year old and made him do the same job for a few games
Then told Stones that’s how’s it’s done,’off you go
The result (unpopular opinion perhaps) - John Stones in the champions legal final, one of the greatest performances to grace such a stage

I know we weren’t great overall on the night, but Stones put it in a masterclass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.