Pep's contract situation

Haven't really seen it suggested but now might be the time to change manager. Pep is the best league manager probably ever but I can't see us doing 5 in a row. Seemed to do it mostly off muscle memory last season as we certainly weren't fantastic. Our transfers in the last couple seasons Haarland apart haven't been good which will catch up to us at some point.

In the cups we've been anything but dominant, if the Carling didn't exist there'd still be fair pressure on Pep for it. 2 of our 3 wins in the big cups came in the same spell where we finally played with more compactness and physicality that you need for cup competition. I now suspect this came from Lillo as Pep reverted back to what he knows straight away. Claims it's "impossible" to control transitions from United, Liverpool, Madrid etc. but then leaves them half a field to run into which makes no sense to me.

One of the things with having Guardiola is the players know they can't be acting the maggot as the manager will be backed every time, been a huge problem down the years at Chelsea for example. I don't know if that's still the case with him leaving shortly. I really didn't think it would mean much when it was announced Pellegrini was leaving but then the players could barely rouse themselves to scrape top 4 ahead of an awful United side. Only West Ham playing United in their last game at their old ground saved us playing Europa league in Pep's first season, even though he took over the best squad as we keep hearing from opposition supporters.

Haven't really seen it suggested but now might be the time to change manager. Pep is the best league manager probably ever but I can't see us doing 5 in a row. Seemed to do it mostly off muscle memory last season as we certainly weren't fantastic. Our transfers in the last couple seasons Haarland apart haven't been good which will catch up to us at some point.

In the cups we've been anything but dominant, if the Carling didn't exist there'd still be fair pressure on Pep for it. 2 of our 3 wins in the big cups came in the same spell where we finally played with more compactness and physicality that you need for cup competition. I now suspect this came from Lillo as Pep reverted back to what he knows straight away. Claims it's "impossible" to control transitions from United, Liverpool, Madrid etc. but then leaves them half a field to run into which makes no sense to me.

One of the things with having Guardiola is the players know they can't be acting the maggot as the manager will be backed every time, been a huge problem down the years at Chelsea for example. I don't know if that's still the case with him leaving shortly. I really didn't think it would mean much when it was announced Pellegrini was leaving but then the players could barely rouse themselves to scrape top 4 ahead of an awful United side. Only West Ham playing United in their last game at their old ground saved us playing Europa league in Pep's first season, even though he took over the best squad as we keep hearing from opposition supporters.
Bit of a flip-floppy meandering opinion you got there, chum.
1st, give me another name who is more likely to make it 5 in a row.
If we changed manager now, out of the pool of managers available, which one rates higher than Pep?

Yes, dreadful signings in the last couple of seasons. Apart from Akanji, Ortega, Alvarez,Haaland, Doku, Gvardiol and Kovacic, who have we brought in who’s been half decent?

Wow.
Haarland.
We’re all entitled to our own opinion but just wow.
‘In the cups we’ve been anything but dominant’ - you’re really saying that 12 months after a Treble season.
We owned the Carabao Cup for four seasons before we prioritised the Premier league and Champions league.
Be very careful what you ask for.
I for one would love to see Pep stay for a minimum two and hopefully more years. He’s an absolute phenomenon. Whoever comes after him has very big shoes to fill.

Really, you think it was muscle memory….. we were the better team than Rags, Dippers & Madrid but for missed chances.

I think he’s worth another season.

Incidentally how did you rate how Ten Hag, Klopp & Ancelotti set up against City.

Bit of a flip-floppy meandering opinion you got there, chum.
1st, give me another name who is more likely to make it 5 in a row.
If we changed manager now, out of the pool of managers available, which one rates higher than Pep?

I don't think we'd win the league next season either way. If we can get Pep to extend then obviously keep him, my point is I don't think 1 more year is enough time to regenerate this team to continue being dominant in the league, and if we did the follow up manager won't be as good in the league as Pep. Focus more on the cups for a couple seasons instead of stretching ourselves too thin.

We've signed the likes of Alvarez and Nunes who seem better suited to playing against us than for us. Add someone like Guimarães + a fast winger and we have the basis for a more counter attacking cup side. Don't like him at all but Touchal would make us dangerous in the cups (if Pep doesn't extend).

I don't think we'd win the league next season either way. If we can get Pep to extend then obviously keep him, my point is I don't think 1 more year is enough time to regenerate this team to continue being dominant in the league, and if we did the follow up manager won't be as good in the league as Pep. Focus more on the cups for a couple seasons instead of stretching ourselves too thin.

We've signed the likes of Alvarez and Nunes who seem better suited to playing against us than for us. Add someone like Guimarães + a fast winger and we have the basis for a more counter attacking cup side. Don't like him at all but Touchal would make us dangerous in the cups (if Pep doesn't extend).
Bonkers, team doesn’t need regenerating anymore than any other summer. 2 or maybe 3 signings added to the team that lost 3 league games, Pep as manager we go into next season,who’s better. Nobody.
Counter attacking cup team Tuchel, no thanks, try the rags sound like what you’re looking for.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.