Pep's contract situation

Once Dias is here Im hoping Pep has enough confidence in the defence to stop playing two holding players. We have always looked a better team with two attacking midfieldetd and have better players to play that formstion.

If Pep keeps playing two defensive midfielders we will have anothrr avrrage season and he'll leave

I’m not sure how any one else feels , but I said it on here last season , it just seems like it’s coming to the end of the pep cycle .
We had a couple of amazing years, but last season there was a lot of signs the players just aren’t responding as well to his methods .
Early days yet obviously to make those statements for this season but there’s worrying signs .

Taking the emotional aspect out of it , he’s been great for us , the positive’s is he has raised the profile of the club , had us playing probably the best football you’ll see in the premier league , the 17 -18 season in particular.
Back to back titles , 100 points , domestic treble .
Defended us vigorously during the whole ffp debacle.

the negatives , never getting past the quarters of a champions league ,last season even though we won the caraboa cup , finished way behind Liverpool , if we have a poor season this season (which is subjective ) it would be 3 arguably poor years of his 5 years here .
Also spent a fortune particularly on defenders where we still look weak after all the money spent .

Tbh if pep does leave I wish him well thank him for the memories, but look forward to a fresh approach with a new hungry young manager , some one like nagglesman ticks a lot of boxes for me .

I think the in the modern game , sometimes it’s just as simple as a fresh approach is needed to inspire the players .
Very rare now for managers to stay at a club 5 years or more , even for someone as great as pep .

Liverpool are in a great moment now , but we were there in 18/19 , shows how cyclical football is, and how quick things change , in a year or two Liverpool may be struggling with the players not responding any more to Klopp’s methods it happened at Dortmund before he left .

whatever happens whether we’re shite or winning titles I’ll support the team .
And with pep or without there’s reasons to be positive for the future :) .

I disagreed with the tactics but its hardly Peps fault that both Sterling and Jesus missed golden chances and Ederson fumbled an easy save. Never mind refs fucking us over by not giving the foul on Laporte.

The players should be looking at themselves rather than just blaming Pep. That is the way of modern football I suppose, easier to get rid of the manager then a squad of players though.....
Team selection, tactics and attitude were appaling.

We got the result we deserved.

Yes very concerning - I have worries we could have a season like Chelsea 5 years ago, Mourinho last one for Chelsea where they lost a lot of early season games and he got sacked.
He won't ever be sacked but I could see him walking .

We have a very big month coming up, anymore performances like Sunday and things will start to get heavy.

All 3 pens Leicester got where pens caused by bad defending. Nothing sinister there at all you are coming over all hysterical. We lost the game because we couldn’t contain the counter attacks or press when they had the ball.

Blame the ref if it makes you feel better but on this occasion it is making you look like a complete nut job. Don’t get me wrong there has been times where the refs have made very questionable decisions but in the case of the last 2 games are fragility at the back has been exposed and it has nothing to do with refereeing.

I feel like some posters find it hard to admit that we are struggling defensively at the moment and Liverpool are the best side in the country. Yes it is frustrating but we will be back

For me, the second penalty was arguable but the other two were nailed on. It isn’t the ref’s fault that we lost. I’m afraid I agree with other posters - the players don’t look happy any more.

There are two possibilities regarding Pep's thought process and neither are great for the club. He has either decided already he is off at the end of this season or he is undecided if he wants to stay longer or not. If it is the former then the question is has he communicated his decision to the club so they can go all out to secure a top level replacement for next season? If it is the latter then the club are stuck as no top manager is going to enter into discussions on the basis that Pep 'might' leave. Either way it's hard to see that he will be fully focused on the job if he is unsure about staying or he has decided to move on.

It's possibly the big downside to the Barca axis at the club being so close as regardless of the status of Pep this is not a great position for the club to be in. You can't imagine they will be waiting for an answer at the end of the season.

As I said, despite what team was picked, the players fucked up as well. Pep cant put the ball in the net for them.
You don't leave players of the caliber of Silva, Bernardo and Mahrez on the bench in a quarter final of the Champions league against the 7th best team in France.
You don't pick a 18yr old CB at the heart of a weak defence and a 18yr old who 2 weeks earlier told one and all he no longer wanted to be at the club.
When you have one of the finest attacking sides in the world, why worry about the strengths of the 7th best team in France and leave a majority of our attacking players on the bench?
It was a monumental f@@k up by "the world greatest football coach" and it was not the first time he has done this, he had previous with Barca, Bayern and us once before.

I have immense respect for him and what he did for us, but I am not sure he is able to make another leap with us. A few odd results when we had an off day in 17/18 and 18/19 seasons became a norm for the duration of the last season. We lost 10 out of the last 36 games, that's like a mid-table performance level; total inability to play against back five and counter-attack, with each game it's been worse and worse; inability to come back from going behind; losing games after having lead; folding up under pressure in must-win games; etc. He's been definitely affected by all of this, therefore a sudden change to 4-2-3-1. Of course we have injuries, COVID, no preseason, but I was shocked with his post match interview saying he was happy how we were playing, we were one nil up, but the players thought they were no playing well because they were not creating chances, so they became nervous. So there is definitely inability on his part to convince players what they were/are doing. And if he was happy, why taking off Fern and putting on 17 year old forward. Foden had to wait for years to get 15 minutes on the pitch, even in the games when result was irrelevant. All of this tells me he is under mega pressure and needs to forget trophies and extending his contract right now. Just stop this regress man, that will be your success!

I don't think he will and to be honest, I'm not sure he should. Love the fella, but if the fire is gone, theres no point on trying to continue on his past glories (as amazing as they were), its the worst thing we could do as a club.

Big season coming up and that Leicester spanking has set an uneasy tone. In the past I would expect us to bounce beck from a defeat, look stronger and string a solid run of wins together. Last season we were pitiful at that, lets see if anything has changed. Fuck me, I hope so but theres plenty of warning signs flashing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.