Pep's Press Conferences - Watford (A) Post Match (Page 129)

Is the solution to give away no chances, ever, then?

It's frustrating that for whatever reason no one can miss against us at the moment (every opponent is suddenly a world class finisher), but Pep is right in what he's saying IMO - we should be scoring more goals given our possession and our players, and when we start doing that we'll win many more times than we lose (or draw). We stop making individual defensive mistakes (or more likely replace those players) that will also help.

For one reason or another we are playing largely with the same team as last year, just another year older. Bravo looks horrific at the moment (not that I think there was anything he could really have done today to change the result) but surely everyone realises he's better than this? We need to support him, the manager and the team through a difficult spell.

The only way Guardiola is leaving is in the case of an absolute catastrophe, and I would hope no City fan is genuinely wishing for that to happen. He's had one transfer window, during which he was assessing the team and we had a disrupted/farcical pre-season. We tried to fix the central defence but for whatever reason that didn't happen (would we ever be this open with Bonucci? No chance) so it's not like he thinks it all good, and Kompany and Gundogan's injuries. while predictable, have not helped.

Today was hellish (well, the second half) but many said we would have some sticky times this season - we can't be even in anger talking about Pep out at this stage, it's fucking ridiculous.

No one can miss as as I said previous the chances are pretty easy......Lukakus first today a semi pro would have put away just as easily. Yes its individual errors but they are being compounded by very poor defensive tactics seeming from he midfield set up and into the back line.

No one wants Pep to leave.......just want him to see what is blindingly obvious which I'm sure he can and therefore do something about it and stop making the same mistakes as Pellers did before him and he has made numerous times already this year,,,,,adapt to the team you are playing and also adapt to the players you have at your disposal instead of asking them to play in a way that they just are not capable of.

The defence would be much more secure with one of the midfielders detailed to play right in front of them in a proper holding role...

Our problem comes from the fact that the we are playing out from the back (no prob with that little bit) but what happens is that yaya (usually) drops between the two centre halves...who then split wide of him..............the two fullbacks invariably push up the pitch very high...and one of the other midfielders usually come short...so you are left with something like this

------------------------------------------Bravo------------------------------------

Otto----------------------------------yaya--------------------------------------Stones

30-40 yds up the pitch

Sagna-----------------------------------------silva----------------------------------------------------clichy

now when we pass the half way line we are still like this but now the opposition have started to press the ball where ever it is..........

and when we lose it you can see automatically what will and can happen...................you could drive a bus through the gams between the centre halves and yaya....if he is still there and the fullbacks are no where to be seen.........so many times this has been the case and teams are just waiting to pick us off.........and when they do it is easy due tot he amount of space they have to work in

No one can miss as as I said previous the chances are pretty easy......Lukakus first today a semi pro would have put away just as easily. Yes its individual errors but they are being compounded by very poor defensive tactics seeming from he midfield set up and into the back line.

No one wants Pep to leave.......just want him to see what is blindingly obvious which I'm sure he can and therefore do something about it and stop making the same mistakes as Pellers did before him and he has made numerous times already this year,,,,,adapt to the team you are playing and also adapt to the players you have at your disposal instead of asking them to play in a way that they just are not capable of.

The defence would be much more secure with one of the midfielders detailed to play right in front of them in a proper holding role...

Our problem comes from the fact that the we are playing out from the back (no prob with that little bit) but what happens is that yaya (usually) drops between the two centre halves...who then split wide of him..............the two fullbacks invariably push up the pitch very high...and one of the other midfielders usually come short...so you are left with something like this

------------------------------------------Bravo------------------------------------

Otto----------------------------------yaya--------------------------------------Stones

30-40 yds up the pitch

Sagna-----------------------------------------silva----------------------------------------------------clichy

now when we pass the half way line we are still like this but now the opposition have started to press the ball where ever it is..........

and when we lose it you can see automatically what will and can happen...................you could drive a bus through the gams between the centre halves and yaya....if he is still there and the fullbacks are no where to be seen.........so many times this has been the case and teams are just waiting to pick us off.........and when they do it is easy due tot he amount of space they have to work in
Kinell ! Clichy doesn't get that far up the pitch !

No one can miss as I said previous the chances are pretty easy......Lukakus first today a semi pro would have put away just as easily. Yes its individual errors but they are being compounded by very poor defensive tactics seeming from he midfield set up and into the back line.

30-40 yds up the pitch

This is what I think every time Pep talks about us having numerous chances and the opposition scoring from their only chance. I saw a stat on the BBC website today stating that city have "conceded from the first shot they have faced in four of their last seven games", it is the quality rather than the quantity of chances. Our chances have quality in their build-up, but once we get into the box there is no room to get a shot in, hence the chance is lost or just too difficult to execute. The opposition waits for an opportunity (a mis-placed pass, a chance to tackle) to counter us and runs through large gaps that are badly patrolled and has an open shot at a net with only a poor shot-stopper keeper to contend with.

I would never consider myself qualified enough to tell a great manager like Pep what to do but your other point about adapting your team to the opposition and the players at your disposal seems very obvious. I noticed a quote in the MEN a few weeks ago from KDB stating that Pep spends a lot of time analysing an opposition and working out a strategy only for the other team to play a different long ball game against us.

What ever the solution is it starts at the back, we are not good enough to have a defence based on possession, only Barca have (had?) that. Until we have the players to play that way we need to more pragmatic, why not play the opposition at their own game and sit back and pick them off? It works against Barca so it will work against lesser team. Lets see if they have the quality to break down a crowded 6 yard area.

When you suffer a setback you rely on your leader to raise your spirits and show optimism based on a plan or vision. Sadly, for the first time, I'm feeling a little sceptical.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.