Pep's Press Conferences - Watford (A) Post Match (Page 129)

Have to say his comments about not knowing why we keep conceding has got me concerned. I previously thought that he knew the solution and the problem was getting the players to execute it. But him openly admitting he doesn't have a scooby why we keep conceding goals is a bit shocking.

I admire his honesty. He literally has no idea why it is happening. I read earlier we have conceded 7 times this season from the opposition's first shot on goal.
I think I know why it is happening. We are playing without a goalkeeper and we are making literally dozens of passes in and around our own penalty area with a view to getting the ball to the halfway line at which point we invariably lose it.
If something keeps happening over and over and over again it is not a fluke.
I believe his stubbornness will ultimately be his undoing, which is a real shame. It matters not one fucking iota that we have 70 percent possession in most matches when we cannot defend for the 30 percent of the game when we do not have the ball. He is completely all or nothing. It has to be 50 passes or long ball, he refuses to recognise that there are more ways to play than just this. He has very little respect for the majority of our opponents.

Why? I am here every day.

I actually expected the problems. It was too easy at the beginning. It takes time to implement a system and, yes, maybe it needs luck and the right players, too. I thought you would struggle at the beginning - but maybe the problem is that it ran so fine at the beginning and the problems came later. The theatre of the press is just the normal run of things. I just cannot stand the-EPL-is-so-special bullocks that it is this difficult league that is the problem. It is not. The problem is not the idea but the execution.

For me Pep's system is the best system - I think the discussions about it, like about the high line - do not make sense as apart from maybe the odd match it is just necessary for his kind of play. The most people just have too less patience. At Bayern and Barcelona he worked with players that got implemented a similar system for seasons or even since their football beginnings. You do not. It might not even be a functioning team - atleast that was what I felt the seasons before. You might be able to mask that with a new coach as long as it is new and there is no problems - but it somewhen will show.

You cannot change Pep. He is fine making adapations - he did enough at Bayern - to adapt to situations. But he will not change his playing philosophies and what he believes in. But it takes time to build big things - to have success for a short time is an easy achievement.

That I cannot remember seeing him in a similar condition in the Bayern years I really meant. He is a bad actor. He lives football 24/7 and the whole theatre and problems right now are getting to him - and it shows. Actually he somehow looks similar to Müller in his recent goal drought - not really knowing what is wrong but like somebody who always had a bit of luck but recently it has turned into misfortune. He is a great tactical coach and teacher - I do not know how good he is with motivation. I do not think that at Bayern he needed to be the big motivator because of the characters in that team.

I am pretty neutral about City - atleast as long they do not directly compete with Bayern. But right now I just want Pep's system to function. And I do not really want Chelsea, Mou or Klopp to have success. Or Arsenal.

Young kids growing up now will have only ever known Bayern winning the league. They monopolise the whole bundesliga. It is absolutely tragic that so many big clubs with huge followings know before the season kicks off that they have zero chance of winning anything whatsoever. On that basis your league is absolute complete bullshit. So the fact you have very little respect for our league makes me all the more suspicious as to what your actual illness might be. Because to read the forum of a random team in a league you have no respect for every single day is buffoonery at best. I'm sure if I did the same on a Dynamo Dresden website the majority of their fans would think I was retarded. At best a buffoon.

Seriously.....are you taking the piss?
If this was any other manager would you be asking that question? If gary megson was our manager would you be surprised to see him out of a job by easter. My guess would be that you would think Easter is being incredibly optimistic, as would I.

Joe made the odd blooper but this guy doesn't even attempt to make a save, might as well have a cardboard cutout on the goal line
The law of averages says the cut out would make more saves. How tragic that I can actually write that and be deadly serious.

He's cracking for sure. That's the worrying sign if I were a City fan. If you were losing but the manager was positive, upbeat saying "we know we can do better" "expect a response" etc etc. Then all is well.

He seems to be devoid of energy in interviews. I don't know. I don't know him as well as you lot do, so my opinion is almost irrelevant. But that's an outsiders view, if it counts for anything

I really liked the part where you said your opinion is completely irrelevant. How many points are Liverpool above city? Is your bespectacled amphetamine addled manager cracking? It's never your fault you know. Always the victim.

I'm not sure he's cracking. I think he looks as confused as his players. He's never had this sort of problem before.
To say that he doesn't know why we concede so easily is embarrassing. He bloody well should do. And if he does, he shouldn't be saying he doesn't.

I don't know for all the criticism we give players for giving up too easy there's plenty of fans that are worse(nobody likes to lose but we should have some perspective... some try and quantify it with "I could take losing if...." yet they never react well to loss no matter what, which says it all), some were ready to give up on Pep after the 10 game winning streak ended. If and when he turns this around he will have every reason to be as smug as he likes about it, criticism is fine when warranted but there's been a lack of class from so many corners from the press to, opposing fans and our own... not surprised he looks unhappy when you really take a step back but I don't think he's cracking, he'll probably be thinking something along the lines of he who laughs last laughs loudest.

Last edited:
I don't know for all the criticism we give players for giving up to easy most fans are far worse, some were ready to give up on Pep after the 10 game winning streak ended. If and when he turns this around he will have every reason to be as smug as he likes about it, criticism is fine when warranted but there's been a lack of class from so many corners from the press to, opposing fans and our own... not surprised he looks unhappy when you really take a step back but I don't think he's cracking, he'll probably thinking something along the lines of he who laughs last laughs loudest.

The media always want a target and someone to fail and the bigger the better.

We should all ignore the media and starve them of the oxygen they don't deserve.

He deserves to be scrutinised internally if he is failing to meet his objectives.

Get him the players that can buy into what he wants and if he cannot get success then we know what comes next.

The current side is cactus , no manager could get them doing much better than Pep has to date.

The media always want a target and someone to fail and the bigger the better.

We should all ignore the media and starve them of the oxygen they don't deserve.

He deserves to be scrutinised internally if he is failing to meet his objectives.

Get him the players that can buy into what he wants and if he cannot get success then we know what comes next.

The current side is cactus , no manager could get them doing much better than Pep has to date.
Like I said criticism is fine but some of it has been petty and over the top he's made some mistakes but he's also been let down by the players a few times and there's been no shortage of bad luck/bad refs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.