Pep's Press Conferences - Watford (A) Post Match (Page 129)

I really liked the part where you said your opinion is completely irrelevant. How many points are Liverpool above city? Is your bespectacled amphetamine addled manager cracking? It's never your fault you know. Always the victim.

Wow. Was that necessary? Seriously? This forum gets a lot of stick on other forums for being the worst for accommodating other fans.

I put that part in to ensure I didn't get a reaction like that. I stated an opinion. It's just my opinion that's all, I could be wrong. I could be very wrong. That's just how I'm seeing it. You guys know him better than me so if he isn't then that's good. Shows his resilience. And you're right. Points wise you're not far behind. So if you are having a "crisis" it's hardly a big one. Which is good.

Not like us. Our crisis usually involves us dropping down from 2nd to 8th. You have Spurs next. Win there and all looks good again. It's a 6 pointer.

Wow. Was that necessary? Seriously? This forum gets a lot of stick on other forums for being the worst for accommodating other fans.

I put that part in to ensure I didn't get a reaction like that. I stated an opinion. It's just my opinion that's all, I could be wrong. I could be very wrong. That's just how I'm seeing it. You guys know him better than me so if he isn't then that's good. Shows his resilience. And you're right. Points wise you're not far behind. So if you are having a "crisis" it's hardly a big one. Which is good.

Not like us. Our crisis usually involves us dropping down from 2nd to 8th. You have Spurs next. Win there and all looks good again. It's a 6 pointer.
I didn't think there was a huge amount wrong with what you said, Pep looks fairly close to the end of his tether to some City fans too. I think we are generally pretty accommodating to reasonable opposing fans on here but I am sure you understand that emotions are pretty raw on here currently and most of us are all quite capable of arguing with fellow blues so it isn't hugely surprising that some people aren't really in the mood to be told by other clubs' fans that our manager looks like he's struggling.

Far too predictable and no plan B. Individually a great team of players but not great players making a team. The lack of height up front is a major problem unlike when Dzeko was with us for example in our title winning year and we could "mix" things up according to the opposition.

Why not give the ball to De Bryune and stick Yaya up top to cross to yesterday? But that's the problem, he only plays one way and it only takes a pressing team and we've had it. No height to put crosses in.

We also seem lightweight with the likes of Silva and Sterling and Yaya can't get back to protect a useless defence and goalkeeper.

There's your problem.

I wouldn't read too much in to Pep's body language. He's always been described as a bit sulky even on the training pitch etc. I don't think he's like Klopp who can put a happy face on, I think when Pep loses he falls in to a stinking mood and he doesn't bother to hide it. I don't think that's a bad thing at all, it's just different to the majority of other managers.

I didn't think there was a huge amount wrong with what you said, Pep looks fairly close to the end of his tether to some City fans too. I think we are generally pretty accommodating to reasonable opposing fans on here but I am sure you understand that emotions are pretty raw on here currently and most of us are all quite capable of arguing with fellow blues so it isn't hugely surprising that some people aren't really in the mood to be told by other clubs' fans that our manager looks like he's struggling.

I wouldn't read too much in to Pep's body language. He's always been described as a bit sulky even on the training pitch etc. I don't think he's like Klopp who can put a happy face on, I think when Pep loses he falls in to a stinking mood and he doesn't bother to hide it. I don't think that's a bad thing at all, it's just different to the majority of other managers.

Finally, some good posts. Thank you.

I'll try to be a bit more cautious when posting in future. :-)
Agreed BluePhil, in fact sometimes I don't like when Klopp turns on all emotions and goes nuts. It's nice to see a calm and collected person.

Reminds me of Rafa. Although.... he didn't show any emotion... like ever. I'm pretty sure even when we won the 2005 CL he just was blank face, writing notes on his little pad

Fine margins, had we scored with any of the chances in first half and gone 1-0 up we could have won comfortably.

Our team, and this has been the case for years, is great when confidence is flowing and poor when it's not. West Ham we looked unplayable only after taking the lead, the same can be said in most games. Yes generally we are better than the opposition, yes we do tend to keep the ball more, yes we do move it forward too slowly, yes some of these current players are past it or just not good enough. But that was all the case last year as well.

Pep has not had chance to sort his team out, we are not playing well etc etc but we are 3pts off Second - think about that, we are playing poorly and after half a season we are 3 points of second.

We will get better, We will improve. I get the media etc having a go and being stupid but anyone with a brain can see we are not far. Yep Pep will make mistakes,every manager does, but when the margins are that fine. Let's not go mental when we lose.

Support your team, support your players (even if you think they are not good enough), support Pep.
This! ^

Finally, some good posts. Thank you.

I'll try to be a bit more cautious when posting in future. :-)
Agreed BluePhil, in fact sometimes I don't like when Klopp turns on all emotions and goes nuts. It's nice to see a calm and collected person.

Reminds me of Rafa. Although.... he didn't show any emotion... like ever. I'm pretty sure even when we won the 2005 CL he just was blank face, writing notes on his little pad
It's important to notice that Klopp was an actual TV pundit after his playing career was over, before going into coaching, so of course he looks more natural on the camera and can play act a bit if you like.

I partially agree. Its telling that our best results are against teams that are more open and play us at our own game, and when we get turned over its generally a counter attacking team. Its not like he didn't see this at Barca and Munich though so in the past he has been able to tactically deal with counters. So it has to be the players that are not executing his methods, and he hasn't flexed his tactics to accommodate players of limited quality.

I agree with you except that i would say instead of the players not execution this methods, I would say that quite a few of them are actually incapable of doing it and never will be capable of it.....Yaya for instance ins' dynamic enough...nver has been except when running forward with the ball....he has never been great defensively and never will be

KDB is terrible at defending from the front...I cant see him being converted into a tough tackling player who is great at harassing the opponent

I cant see Kun being able to become a player in the tevez mould who can drop deep and help create...it actually lessens his effectiveness.

None of the fullbacks are dynamic enough going forward to play the way he wants and none are good enough with the ball at their feet.

Ottomendi's temperament is never going to be one of the calmness that Pep requires......

What's the solution then?

Ive said it previously but ill say some of it again

1. Stop asking the fullbacks to push so high...this is where huge amount of our problems are coming from )especially on the left hand side as neither Kolarov or clichy are great at defending but especially when chasing players...neither of them are great going forward from fullback so they offer very little _Kolarov has always imho been highly overrated in this aspect)

2. Play a midfielder who will actually sit and shield the two centre halves........this has to be one of the ferns - now here in lies 2 problems....what players are capable of and what pep is telling them to do.....Both Fernando and Fernandihnio are capable of being more defensive.......however when fernando has played he is being asked to be something he is not.(i.e. be a more creative player).....and when fernandihnio plays he is going forward so much that he isn't defending ...and we know Yaya is very poor at it.

3.Stop asking Kun to drop deep...its actually lessening his effectiveness...I know Pep wants him to be more involved with play but it aint helping us...and besides he aint that good at it either (one good game at it vs West ham doesn't prove anything especially with the amount of room we were afforded in that game)..he is so much more effective playing not he shoulder of the last man......this also gives their defenders something to constantly think about and the rest of their team as well......we know how lethal he is when in those positions...this is where his pace is useful..that first 5 yds to get in behind or just to stand them up for a second and then go again.....playing from deep he can do neither.

4. Make it clear to the forwards and midfielders to start defending from the half way line...as soon as w lose the ball we defend from there and drop....the problem is that at the moment some are pushing on to defend from the front and some aren't...leaving huge gaps which are easily passable through. We do one or the other...at the moment we are doing neither....as Pep said there is very little point to pressing up from as teams just knock it long but at present some of the players are still doing it.

5. Ask the players to take more risks in passing forward......there is too much (and too slow) passing sideways.........if we stay more compact by having a holding midfielder we don't have to worry about losing the ball with more risky passes as teams won't be able to break on us (also with the fullbacks not so far up the pitch - move as units....we are not doing it at the moment.

6. Realise that teams aren't pressing us so we don't need a keeper who is good with his feet....... (ok that one is a bit of a rant about Bravo and something he cant change at the moment but its his decision int he end and it's backfired hugely)

The crucial bit is the balance in midfield - you cant play all creative players...it just aint working as none of them can defend and have no inclination to do so.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.