Pep's tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I prefer to talk about how he sees each individual player and the roles that they'll play rather than talk about formations. We're far too fluid and flexible to nail down formations, which in itself is brilliant. Can you imagine being an opposing manager trying to prepare a game plan to play against us?!

Yeah it's more to do with where the players are at any given point in time & what their job is, at that moment. The 'average position' map I saw actually showed the fullbacks not far off where you would expect conventional fullbacks to be, but the reality is something completely different.

Already, Pep has done stuff which has rarely, if ever, been seen in the Premier League.

An Opposition View
As I see things the object of Pep's tactics playing out from the back Is to keep possession & play forward through the midfield & attack. By doing this in theory the opposing team will press our defenders thus creating more space in midfield.
Surly the best option for the opposing team is when we play out from the back they don't press & retreat to a deeper line say near the half way line & make it difficult to play through.
I'm sure someone on here will explain why that wouldn't work.

I smiled at the formation on Saturday reminding me about the formation lots of us grew up with 2 - 3 - 5 with the centre half dropping deep into the centre back role and the right and left half's operating wide and in the middle!
Showing your age there pal! It's as if Guardiola's been watching old videos of the Mighty Magyars
125814_Hungary.jpg

An Opposition View
As I see things the object of Pep's tactics playing out from the back Is to keep possession & play forward through the midfield & attack. By doing this in theory the opposing team will press our defenders thus creating more space in midfield.
Surly the best option for the opposing team is when we play out from the back they don't press & retreat to a deeper line say near the half way line & make it difficult to play through.

because we pass it round between ourselves relentlessly, moving it from one side to the other, till someone loses their concentration as they're human and supposedly less talented and makes an attempt to intercept or press out, then we just play round in behind and the whole barricade, in theory at least, falls.

It requires Atleti levels of discipline and concentration to keep it up for 90 minutes.

An Opposition View
That's what we want them to do, pressing us at the half way line. This plan 2-3-2-3 works well when the team have superior players in the field. When they press us there will be more space in their box. But if they have good players in midfield and press us well we are at our own risk. They will go one on one with our GK all the time or we have to knock the ball back to GK a lot and only possession without penetration. Surely we will have different game plan throughout this season or in same match but I can see Pep will choose this plan when playing with bottom half table teams.

I see from last 2 games, when CB moves with the ball Fernandinho run back to stand in CB position immediately (so if CB lose possession they will not one on one with our GK) . The player who will play in new system Centre half (DM) need to have ability to hold CB position, Left/Right Half as well. I cannot see Gundogan, Silva, KDB in there so I still think this position is Fernandinho position in long run. And also we don't need the most creative midfielder in Centre Half (DM) position because we not play 2-3-5 . In 2-3-2-3 inside forward (Silva, KDB) operate attacking in last third. I still want to see what Pep will bring tomorrow. He may surprises us with new formation/ player selection.
I do believe the new system need one touch football in two third of the pitch and wait to see this tomorrow.

Again I think you're putting too much defensive emphasis on the pivot role. Slotting in to a centre back position when one of our centre backs carries the ball forward is not the same as being a defensive player or good enough to play centre back. Remember, in this scenario we are the ones in possession and that is 9 tenths of the law to Pep. By filling in at cb, the pivot is merely showing tactical awareness and ensuring that we're not vulnerable to a counter attack. He isn't supposed to be playing as a centre back as such.

We'll see how it unfolds, but I reckon Fernandinho will be the right back and Gundogan the pivot for the majority of our games.

An Opposition View

That's effectively parking the bus. Good luck trying to do that for 90 minutes against a Pep side.

Edit: I think what Premier League managers will try to do first is push their wide midfielders right up to our full backs. It would leave their own full backs one on one against our players, which is exactly what we want, but it would be one way of trying to disrupt our formation and being dangerous on the counter attack.

How about this when Gundogan's back...

Without possession..

--------------------------Bravo------------------------------
Dinho----------Stones------------Otamendi-------Delph

------------------------Gundogan---------------------------
-------------KDB--------------------------Silva-------------
Sane---------------------------------------------Sterling/Nolito
-------------------------Aguero-----------------------------

Which means that with possession we'll be...

--------------------------Bravo------------------------------
----------Stones---------------------Otamendi------------
-----------------------Gundogan----------------------------
----------------Dinho-------------Delph-------------------
Sane----------KDB---------------Silva-------------Sterling/Nolito
------------------------Aguero-----------------------------

Just a thought for if we really wanted to control games, and Delph/Dinho would be much more comfortable in the CM role than Clichy/Sagna, and both are good enough at defending to handle the full back defensive roles.

That's effectively parking the bus. Good luck trying to do that for 90 minutes against a Pep side.

Edit: I think what Premier League managers will try to do first is push their wide midfielders right up to our full backs. It would leave their own full backs one on one against our players, which is exactly what we want, but it would be one way of trying to disrupt our formation and being dangerous on the counter attack.
It will be interesting as the season progresses to see how teams try to cope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.