Pet Hates on the road!

honkytonkman187 said:
That's exactly what you should have done - stopped until it was safe to join the carriageway. It doesn't matter if there's one or 20 cars behind you on the slip-road.

You're correct - there isn't any point discussing it further, as I'm right
Comedy, you want me and everyone behind me to wait an hour until the end of rush hour. Where did you escape from?

Skashion said:
honkytonkman187 said:
That's exactly what you should have done - stopped until it was safe to join the carriageway. It doesn't matter if there's one or 20 cars behind you on the slip-road.

You're correct - there isn't any point discussing it further, as I'm right
Comedy, you want me and everyone behind me to wait an hour until the end of rush hour. Where did you escape from?

Not necessarily an hour - just until it's safe for you to join the carriageway without having to 'butt in' between cars doing 50odd miles an hour.
Not a difficult concept to grasp, for us who are not hard of thinking.

Skashion said:
honkytonkman187 said:
Not necessarily an hour.
But quite possibly an hour? Funny stuff. The roads of rush hour Britain come to a halt by command of honkytonkman.
Yes - that's exactly what I said, isn't it? I control the traffic.
The fact you cannot understand something so fundamental as who has the right of way is worrying - did you get your licence in a cracker ?

Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

give priority to traffic already on the motorway
check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder
stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.

stony said:
Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.

That can't be right, i try to hoof it straight out into the fast lane as quickly as possible so I don't have to hang around with the slow twats in the other two lanes.

honkytonkman187 said:
Yes - that's exactly what I said, isn't it? I control the traffic.
The fact you cannot understand something so fundamental as who has the right of way is worrying - did you get your licence in a cracker ?
Yes, it is what you said actually. You said at rush hour I should stop at the end of a slip road. This in turn not only endangers everyone behind me but makes the possibility of finding another gap in traffic far less because I'm not a similar speed meaning I need a much bigger gap, this would also apply to anyone behind me. If everyone followed your bizarre way of driving this country would be at a standstill. Luckily most drivers follow etiquette and when they see a driver needs to join from a dead-end slip road will create a gap. Most people can be courteous to the point of not endangering other people recklessly for the sake of 'right of way', but really it's not about right of way, and if it was, endangering other people because you are under no compulsion to be courteous, those people are psychopaths who place their right way of way above the safety of others. Really though, it's about some people being so frightened of motorway speed that they will go into the inside lane and drive at 60 MPH and will not deviate from that because they are too frightened to do anything else because either they have no confidence in their reactions or decision-making.

Interesting that you mention licences. I'd be quite happy to take a retest every ten years or so because I'm confident I'd pass because I'm not a frightened rabbit. You see, on testing they look for confidence and I suspect the frightened people on the road would fail that, especially if there was a motorway section to the retest.

-- Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:42 pm --

stony said:

and in reality, that doesn't work, because slip roads are not infinitely long and sometimes it gets busy in rush hour. In reality, most people try to look out for each other and create gaps. Except for psychopaths who value the highway code above safety. Also, the highway code says I should match speed to the traffic flow. Stopping at the end of a slip road is doing the exact opposite to an extreme.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.