Peter Barnes

He was something special
Remember he score against Arsenal 1977?
After beating 3000 men and chipping the ball past the keeper at the Platt Lane
I was at the top of the North Stand what
a goal
And of course the goal v Spurs same season, geat days

Although i watched him live often when I was a kid I didn't realise how good he was. Just watching some of his goals and assists made me realise what a player he was. He scored in the league cup final when he was only 19.
Barnes & Tueart were my favourite players of that era. Imagine the heights both could have reached at today's City?

Aficionados of the "Get the ball and run with it to the by-line.
The crowd literally rose to their feet every time Barnes or Tueart received the ball.

We had Royle & Kidd as the two forwards, Hartford & Owen in centre-mid & Clements, Doyle, Watson & Donachie in defence with Corrigan in goal.

What a team!

Did a legends tour a few years ago and Peter was the legend that day that took us round and then had a meal with us after. Have to say what a great person he is to be with and spoke fondly of his time with us and admitted he cried when told he was being sold to the Albion as he certainly didn’t want to go

Pretty sure that Swales claimed at the time that Tony Book had actually asked him to bring Mal back. Like you say never his fault when it went tits.
No definitely not, Ian Niven was the Alison fan boy and Swales thought he’d be the push to the title but then let him totally dismantle the team with crazy signings and we suffered the consequences until the sale to Sheikh Mansour

No definitely not, Ian Niven was the Alison fan boy and Swales thought he’d be the push to the title but then let him totally dismantle the team with crazy signings and we suffered the consequences until the sale to Sheikh Mansour

Allison inherited a team that probably needed to be judiciously remoulded, but the players he brought in were far worse than the ones who left. In a period of a little over six months in 1979, we bought Steve Daley, Michael Robinson, Steve MacKenzie, Dragoslav Stepanovic, Bobby Shinton and Stuart Lee. Making way for them were Kidd, Watson, Hartford. Barnes, Owen and Channon. (I've disregarded Barry Silkman here, as he both arrived and left during 1979).

Not only did that represent a serious drop in quality, though. The fees we received for the departing stars came to around £2.2 million for three current international regulars, the England under-21 captain of the era and two former England players. For the acquisitions, we laid out over £3 million. Allison was clearly culpable for the selection of the players both outgoing and incoming, but the real madness lay in the vastly inflated fees we splashed out on the latter, compounded by adding Kevin Reeves, a decent player but for a clearly excessive £1.25 million, before the season was out.

Swales and Allison both blamed one another for the level of the fees we paid. However, there's neutral account that settles the matter. Tony Book, known in the game as a man of integrity, unequivocally states in his autobiography that it was Swales who negotiated the fees. First of all, Book was in a position to know, and, secondly, he has no reason to lie about this. We could have recovered from Allison's weakening of the team alone, but not from that alongside Swales's associated wastefulness. Thus, Swales takes the lion's share of the blame for the damage caused to MCFC.

Allison inherited a team that probably needed to be judiciously remoulded, but the players he brought in were far worse than the ones who left. In a period of a little over six months in 1979, we bought Steve Daley, Michael Robinson, Steve MacKenzie, Dragoslav Stepanovic, Bobby Shinton and Stuart Lee. Making way for them were Kidd, Watson, Hartford. Barnes, Owen and Channon. (I've disregarded Barry Silkman here, as he both arrived and left during 1979).

Not only did that represent a serious drop in quality, though. The fees we received for the departing stars came to around £2.2 million for three current international regulars, the England under-21 captain of the era and two former England players. For the acquisitions, we laid out over £3 million. Allison was clearly culpable for the selection of the players both outgoing and incoming, but the real madness lay in the vastly inflated fees we splashed out on the latter, compounded by adding Kevin Reeves, a decent player but for a clearly excessive £1.25 million, before the season was out.

Swales and Allison both blamed one another for the level of the fees we paid. However, there's neutral account that settles the matter. Tony Book, known in the game as a man of integrity, unequivocally states in his autobiography that it was Swales who negotiated the fees. First of all, Book was in a position to know, and, secondly, he has no reason to lie about this. We could have recovered from Allison's weakening of the team alone, but not from that alongside Swales's associated wastefulness. Thus, Swales takes the lion's share of the blame for the damage caused to MCFC.
I'm still not over this 40+ years later!

How the fuck did we allow Allison to dismantle a team stuffed full of major international players, to be replaced by players from Wolves, Brighton etc, who'd struggle to get into an England B squad? :-/

I even recall both Swales & Allison on a late night Granada programme defending million pound players, saying they were good for football, when most others were saying our reckless spending on overpriced, million pound footballers was utter madness!

As you say, it took until Sheikh Mansour's acquisition before we recovered, & even then I wouldn't say we fully recovered. The mental scars are still there for me. What Allison & Swales did left me emotionally damaged & distraught.

I'll never forget my Rag mates taking the piss & asking what the fuck were we doing? frowning-face_2639-fe0f.png

Excellent summary. I've not read Tony Book's book nor would doubt his integrity but I've long thought he was in hock to Malcolm. He would have been nothing jn football without Allison and I wonder, of course I could not profess to know for sure, whether he could truly criticise Allison.
Okay, Swales might have overspent like a 3 day millionaire but who decided Asa, Barnes, Owen etc xhould be sold and who identified Bobby Shinton as a first division forward and Dragoslav Stepanovic was better than Watson?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.