Peter Doherty

Beckham didnt get voted into utds best 11 by utd fans...

What did best do 5yrs?...when he grew his first beard it was all over....kop johan in his 36th yr smashing it for Feyenoord...no comparison.

On a train journey once with an olde knowledgable red, he said it was between finney and doherty....he said edwards didnt reign long enough to evaluate and looked like he would thicken with age.

What did he think of best. A lot of reds believe he was greatest player of all time.

What is your game, mate?
You revived an 11 year old George Best thread earlier this week, you seem determined for people to say Best was the GOAT
Haha! You must have read some of his previous posts, mate? He's not even a fucking City fan!! His contributions to anything Foden related are his best work though.

The chap had seen the hungarians...knowledgable geezer, he didnt need google.
Was the 1954 world cup on telly? I remember seeing some documentary about in on Eurosport in 1994 around that WC time, but very little footage available. It would be extremely hard to form opinions on foreign players in those days. Apart from the famous match at Wembley, Puskas and even more recent players like Garrincha, was what people read in the paper.

What did he think of best. A lot of reds believe he was greatest player of all time.

He thought he was most naturally talented but charlton the more complete..

Said doherty had it off with a winger called lineker (sp?)...bit of a toshak-keegan affair but lineker broke his leg early into his career...and passed remark doherty carried on regardless

I think the forgotten man and arguably our greatest player deserves a thread of his own.
I think the fact that he is forgotten is because he played for City so long ago.

It's 85+ years since he signed for us.

I mentioned it only the other day in another thread, but we used to see a gent in his 90s in the lift on the way to and from CBL3.

He said that Peter was the best City player he ever saw; better than The King and any of the-then current élite stars we had, like Merlin, Yaya and Sergio.

As others have said, he must have been some player.

He thought he was most naturally talented but charlton the more complete..

Said doherty had it off with a winger called lineker (sp?)...bit of a toshak-keegan affair but lineker broke his leg early into his career...and passed remark doherty carried on regardless

Most naturally talented player of all time or in the united team.

I saw Best a lot as a kid but I never saw him perform on the bigger stages, except at Wembley in the European Cup final on TV, in 1968, I was already a blue, but my dad took us to City 1 week and United the next. Best was a media darling; exciting tricky dribbler, who could shoot with both feet, but he wasn't better than Lee or Bell, who could do the same - and more; I wouldn't have swapped either of them for him.
My dad used to enthuse about Doherty, but he always loved King Colin; the M.E.N. back in the day used to always refer to Bell as the new Peter Doherty. All I can say is that, going off Bell's standards, Doherty must have been a hell of a player, and I wish I could have seen him to judge for myself.
Do you remember the "Bell, Lee, Summerbee" video?

In it, Sir Joe is talking about King Colin, and says something like, "Colin could become City’s best player since Peter Doherty".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.