Peter Doherty

Posts about some junkie pop star in a thread about one of our greatest players is beyond the pale and I put it down to ignorance.

My grandad saw us at Hyde Road, he passed away in 1976 and he said to me that Peter Doherty was the best player he had ever seen, I recall him saying better than Bell, better than Best. My grandad also had soft spots for Fred Tilson, Dave Ewing and Roy Paul and despite him living through two World Wars considered Bert to be just above Swifty

I obviously never saw them play and my hero was Bell, so when my Grandad told me Doherty was better I listened.

Posts about some junkie pop star in a thread about one of our greatest players is beyond the pale and I put it down to ignorance.

My grandad saw us at Hyde Road, he passed away in 1976 and he said to me that Peter Doherty was the best player he had ever seen, I recall him saying better than Bell, better than Best. My grandad also had soft spots for Fred Tilson, Dave Ewing and Roy Paul and despite him living through two World Wars considered Bert to be just above Swifty

I obviously never saw them play and my hero was Bell, so when my Grandad told me Doherty was better I listened.

Stanley Mathew's said that Pete doherty was the best Northern Ireland player until George Best came along.

All the people who mention doherty as the best player they have ever seen are blues. It's only objective analysis thar matters when it comes to assessing players. People who aren't fans of city.

For example if you talk to most rag fans. They will tell you david beckham was one of best players in the world.

Where as any neutral observer would tell you he was no where near. Most overrated player in the history of the game most would say.

Looking at the fifa pes stats for Peter Doherty and George Best. Best looks a much more gifted footballer.

Doesn't matter Shankly has always said finney is greatest player he has ever seen.
Why have you said that when you were shown these quotes as a reply in your own thread:

I've also dug out this page, which has a short biography of him: https://www.vintagefootballers.com/product/doherty-peter-image-7-manchester-city-1938/

The following quotes are well worth reading:

Bill Shankly:
Di Stefano, Puskas, Gento, Kopa, Pele, Eusebio, Bobby Charlton, Finney and Matthews.

It was an honour to play with and against the last two. But top of them all I would place Peter Doherty of Manchester City. He always gave me the greatest trouble. He was perpetual motion. You could dog, challenge and even hurt him. But you couldn’t dismay him. He kept coming.

Len Shackleton:
Peter Doherty was surely the genius among geniuses. Possessor of the most baffling body swerve in football, able to perform all the tricks with the ball, owning a shot like the kick of a mule, and, with all this, having such tremendous enthusiasm for the game that he would work like a horse for ninety minutes. That was pipe-smoking Peter Doherty, the Irish redhead who, I am convinced, had enough football skill to stroll through a game smoking that pipe-and still make the other twenty-one players appear second-raters. But of course Peter never strolled through anything. His energy had to be seen to be appreciated.

So some pretty decent testimonials there for Doherty putting him as one of the true greats.

Why have you said that when you were shown these quotes as a reply in your own thread:

Straight from the horses mouth. In this video Shankly says Finney was the greatest player he ever saw.

Last edited:
Stanley Mathew's said that Pete doherty was the best Northern Ireland player until George Best came along.

All the people who mention doherty as the best player they have ever seen are blues. It's only objective analysis thar matters when it comes to assessing players. People who aren't fans of city.

For example if you talk to most rag fans. They will tell you david beckham was one of best players in the world.

Where as any neutral observer would tell you he was no where near. Most overrated player in the history of the game most would say.
And as many, many others have said, it is incredibly difficult to compare players from different eras.

Fucking hell, it’s even a hard task to decide who is the best player from the same team in the same decade, most of whom played together.

Of Merlin, Vinnie, Sergio, Yaya, Kevin, I have seen posters say that each of those five is the best. In another five or six years, it is quite possible that Phil Foden will be pert of this conversation too..

Looking at the fifa pes stats for Peter Doherty and George Best. Best looks a much more gifted footballer.
Peter Doherty and Best played 30 years apart.

The game, and the statistics used to prove a player’s worth, had moved on in leaps and bounds in that time, just as the game and the statistics have changed unrecognisably from the late '60s/early '70s to today.

It is impossible to compare players from different eras in any meaningful way.

Peter Doherty and Best played 30 years apart.

The game, and the statistics used to prove a player’s worth, had moved on in leaps and bounds in that time, just as the game and the statistics have changed unrecognisably from the late '60s/early '70s to today.

It is impossible to compare players from different eras in any meaningful way.

Well on pes stars best higher with dribble speed and accuracy, technique. That's nothin to do with the game moving on. It's shows he was the more talented footballer.

Well on pes stars best higher with dribble speed and accuracy, technique. That's nothin to do with the game moving on. It's shows he was the more talented footballer.

Ive not seen pes stats but i'd imagine Best would trump Doherty for not turning up.

Ive not seen pes stats but i'd imagine Best would trump Doherty for not turning up.

I am not talking about consistency and your right even Bobby Charlton said best would blow hot and cold. But the pes stats show best was a more talented player than Doherty.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.