Peter Swales

Ah. an example of fake news well before the phrase ever gained currency. This was a LIE spread by the Swales camp to discredit protestors. The matron of the nursing home in question said she was completely unaware of the alleged incident that was widely reported at the time, and if Central Library in town still has its microfiche archive, you can go down there and confirm it.

Still, job done by the vile John Maddock. Blues continue to believe this falsehood nearly 30 years on.

No he fucking wasn't. That piece of shit Swales left the club in such a dire financial state that the decline was almost inevitable without a vast injection of cash that Lee was unable to deliver (through my job, I saw the disclosure files presented to Lee's legal team when he was buying into the club and, believe me, they'd shock you). Lee made many mistakes for which he can justifiably be criticised and, ironically given his background, some of the most telling related to the club's footballing operations.

If we could have hung on without getting relegated from the PL for another couple of years, we may just about have clung on and emerged from the financial crisis. Lee's errors of judgement, most notably appointing Alan Ball, contributed to our taking the drop. But "just as bad as Swales"? No fucking way.

I always knew the story about protestors abusing Swales dieing mother in a nursing home was complete bullshit so it's good to get confirmation after all these years.

Swales had a business empire that consisted entirely of a few electrical goods shops (mainly rental TVs) scattered around Greater Manchester and that was his level. How the fuck he ended up running the club into the ground for as long as he did with his small shareholding is both an eternal mystery and a fucking disgrace.

This bloke was are chairmen for 20 years .this bloke liked sacking managers.This bloke helped manchester city get relegated twice in the 80s.This bloke made maine road look a dump.Not a lot of nice things to say about swales he was a bit like bates at leeds not liked by the fans
Also sold off our merchandising rights if I remember rightly

I always knew the story about protestors abusing Swales dieing mother in a nursing home was complete bullshit so it's good to get confirmation after all these years.

Swales had a business empire that consisted entirely of a few electrical goods shops (mainly rental TVs) scattered around Greater Manchester and that was his level. How the fuck he ended up running the club into the ground for as long as he did with his small shareholding is both an eternal mystery and a fucking disgrace.
rag agent !

As a 13 year old who had just started going unattended so to speak, the Swales out campaign was really exciting. I was not old enough to know any better and did not understand the true ramifications of what was going on really, but I remember running round from the old Kippax to the corner of Main stand and North stand. Everyone would congregate there and spill their vitriol.
Does anyone remember that mad priest who somehow managed to be the kind of ring leader and face of the campaign? I remember having Swales out and Forward with Franny badges, sure they were given out by the Mirror.

The way Swales quit with some blues jumping into his mums nursing home was bang out of order.

I will say this though, after all the fanfare. Franny Lee was just as bad. Would not mind but he was a football man.
Steve Parrish?

He was blue to his core. Got it wrong in the end but blue.
Exactly, was city to his dying day .He made mistakes like everyone in life. His biggest was trying to make city bigger than the rags. At the end of the day he’s part of our history good or bad. He was city through and through just like anybody on this forum.

Exactly. Others have given the odd good word for him and I'm sure he had some good qualities but as chairman of MCFC he was a disaster and utterly useless running the club like a chip shop. People can give their anecdotal stories but the big picture was that him and his cronies on the board almost destroyed the club.

Lovely hair.

Great thread and enjoyed reading the posts.
I always recalled my dad going on about Swales at about the time I really started to follow football and remember his picture on LookNorthWest or Granada Reports. The suit and that hair!!
I never really understood why my dad would go on about him and have much to say/complain about the chairman of another club and always had a very negative view of Swales. So reading the input from real City fans was enlightening.
Thanks all

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.