Peter Swales

He made huge mistakes, i dont hate him though, i never did and never will.

He wanted the very very best for City, that will do for me. Citys failures hurt him, hurt his family and yes they hurt us as fans. But we all hurt together.

Under Swales in the late 70s we were a fantastic team, we qualified for Europe regularly, we had players such as the likes of Hartford, Tueart, Barnes, Watson, Channon. We were the big four then alonside the rags, Liverpool and Everton. No London team was close.

One year we got within 4k of the rags average attendance, we have broke it since we moved to the etihad.

If he was guily of anything it was over ambition and it fucked us up for years, but he got close without any money

The reason he hung around too long was because he was also on the FA's International Committee, so it was a nice little number for him.

Tommy Doc once told the joke ''Peter Swales wears an ID bracelet. It says ''if in the event of an emergency, please call a press conference''.

Neville Kneville said:
He became deeply unpopular once he bought the club on the cheap. When he arrived, he had a used tv shop. When he left he was rich. He made millions out of running City into the dirt.

Utter shithouse.

It was hardly a 'used tv shop'. He was part of owner of the White and Swales chain of electronics shops.

He ran City into the ground rather than ripped them off. He chopped and changed with managers but my complaint with him was the total mess he made of Maine Road culminating in the dreadful Kippax Street stand. Once he was finished Maine Road looked like an architectural experiment gone wrong.

Itv i think, did a documentary on City in the last year of Malcolm Allison and Tony Books reign when we got relegated and it is cringeworthy in the extreme.It shows what a shambles a once great club had become.

Peter Swales meant well and he loved City, he really did, but he was hopelessly out of his depth.I still have two letters he sent me when i wrote to him in the eighties and they were hand written too,not a typed,''Sign here'' letter.

While we may have had some laughs along the way for 35 years we were dreadful and on the whole a total laughing stock.Dark,dark days and i pray we never ever see them again......ever!

paulchapo said:
Itv i think, did a documentary on City in the last year of Malcolm Allison and Tony Books reign when we got relegated and it is cringeworthy in the extreme.It shows what a shambles a once great club had become.

Peter Swales meant well and he loved City, he really did, but he was hopelessly out of his depth.I still have two letters he sent me when i wrote to him in the eighties and they were hand written too,not a typed,''Sign here'' letter.

While we may have had some laughs along the way for 35 years we were dreadful and on the whole a total laughing stock.Dark,dark days and i pray we never ever see them again......ever!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3KVEy1XKoc[/youtube]

Ell-ano said:
Vienna_70 said:
Just read his Wikipedia entry:

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Swales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Swales</a>

It doesn't make him sound like much of a hero to me.

And that's probably because he wasn't!
if you go on <a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_City_F.C._ownership_and_finances" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester ... d_finances</a> it says: ''Swales was offered a role as life president at the club'' and '' It was a sad departure for a chairman who loyally invested large sums of money into Manchester City'' this sounds to me like a well liked chairman rather than a hated man

he was not very popular at all

I think ultimately whilst he had City's best interests at heart , to be honest he completely destroyed us in the late 70's by replacing established internationals with nobodies. He brokered the deal to bring Steve Daley without Malcolm's knowledge I seem to recall!!

Wonder what he'd make of today's City......

liam81101 said:
I think ultimately whilst he had City's best interests at heart , to be honest he completely destroyed us in the late 70's by replacing established internationals with nobodies. He brokered the deal to bring Steve Daley without Malcolm's knowledge I seem to recall!!

Wonder what he'd make of today's City......

im sure he would of loved it,he made mistakes that lasted a long time,he didnt deserve half the abuse he got,i was sat near him once at a match and he got covered in egg.

think we should leave the swales hate thats in our history,he loved the club but didnt know how to run it and set us back some 35 years.

inglebert said:
ianyone remember going to maine road and guessing the attendance, you'd say 30,000, mate says 39 and the guy next to you said 35, and the tanoy would, 16.000, cash at the gate them days were
this..........47.000 at the charlton promotion game in 1985,,,mmmm.don,t think so

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.