Peter William Sutcliffe

It is a morbid series which not only covers the events well but highlights the sexism which was rife at the time.

Everything is easy in hindsight and also to judge when we live in a world which now has technological advances but that police work was shoddy. I got the impression that West Yorkshire Police went for quantity rather than quality with that silly filing system. The police really should have threw everything at the £5 note lead which traced back to Clark's where Sutcliffe worked. Were the police just fatigued from interviewing so many blokes? Peter Hook was even interviewed solely because he had a beard. I suppose "prank calls" may not have been a prevent thing at the time in those days but ridiculous they solely followed that lead and didn't consider that it was false. It may also have been obvious that ex girlfriends and rivals would falsely tip off somebody they didn't like as being the suspect.

As has been highlighted several times on here, it is ridiculous that Sutcliffe was interviewed 9 times before being caught and an anonymous pen pusher dismissed Holland's suspicion solely because Sutcliffe didn't have a geordie accent. No doubt that office is now dead but wonder if he enjoyed a gold plated pension despite his incompetence.

I can't imagine how horrifying it was at the time for women in Yorkshire and Manchester to go out alone.

The more i read about Peter the less i like about him. Glad he didnt use a claw hammer, but do we know whether he preferred a flat head or a philips screwdriver?

Just in case anyone with an interest in this case fancies a listen, criminal behavioural analyst Laura Richards has started a new podcast and is starting off with a multi-part look at Sutcliffe's crimes. The first episode is out today (8 January):

Link here: Crime Analyst (crime-analyst.com)

crime analyst.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.