Phil Foden - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to agree with the OP - he's been a bit underwhelming so far. Maybe he's just been told to keep it tidy and not lose possession, but I'd like to see him start to influence the game a bit more. I know he's young, but there's reason to believe he's capable of a lot more than we've seen so far this preseason - even in the Prem last season, he took a few chances round the box and looked a real prospect - I'd like to see a bit more of that against Bayern.

I know people will disagree but I don't think he has that natural fitness and endurance to break through to the first team in any major way right now.

Almost every single Foden start has gone the same way in the last year. At the start of the game he looks really good and shows you all the reasons why he gets the hype with ubiquitous levels of game control and skill, but eventually he always becomes uninvolved and isolated.

So I have to assume this constant fizzling out is physical. Whilst he's clearly bigger, he's still relatively small. Plus I don't believe there's a mental problem behind this, I've only ever heard big things about his mentality.

I don't believe he needs a loan or anything to bulk up like I may have used to. Considering the quality he's got and the potential he has I believe it might just be the case that the best option is to be patient.

He's 18 now, which is an age where he/we might think he ought to start. But generally teenagers who feature regularly despite their young age tend to have a real physical element about them, like some were insanely strong (Eg Lukaku, Kompany, Rooney) or fast and agile (Eg Owen, Aguero, Sterling) or insanely fit (Eg Milner). All really talented, but they had that physical element to allow them to start younger.

If we keep Foden around and exposed to the first team and Pep it'll be best for him IMO. Just we all should wait a bit for him to fully fill out before we expect too much. I don't think it'd be a problem if Phil only has limited game time, this year at least. If he can get off the bench a few more times than last year that'd be positive progress enough.

My thought is that he’s been told that he’s going to be a fairly regular member of the game day squad this season and that he doesn’t need to bust a gut trying to win Pep over in preseason, just to concentrate on conditioning without picking up an injury throwing himself around the pitch.
Some squad members are literally playing for their footballing future. They will be doing all possible to make a good impression.
This doesn’t apply to Foden.

I know people will disagree but I don't think he has that natural fitness and endurance to break through to the first team in any major way right now.

Almost every single Foden start has gone the same way in the last year. At the start of the game he looks really good and shows you all the reasons why he gets the hype with ubiquitous levels of game control and skill, but eventually he always becomes uninvolved and isolated.

So I have to assume this constant fizzling out is physical. Whilst he's clearly bigger, he's still relatively small. Plus I don't believe there's a mental problem behind this, I've only ever heard big things about his mentality.

I don't believe he needs a loan or anything to bulk up like I may have used to. Considering the quality he's got and the potential he has I believe it might just be the case that the best option is to be patient.

He's 18 now, which is an age where he/we might think he ought to start. But generally teenagers who feature regularly despite their young age tend to have a real physical element about them, like some were insanely strong (Eg Lukaku, Kompany, Rooney) or fast and agile (Eg Owen, Aguero, Sterling) or insanely fit (Eg Milner). All really talented, but they had that physical element to allow them to start younger.

If we keep Foden around and exposed to the first team and Pep it'll be best for him IMO. Just we all should wait a bit for him to fully fill out before we expect too much. I don't think it'd be a problem if Phil only has limited game time, this year at least. If he can get off the bench a few more times than last year that'd be positive progress enough.

What you mean is he lacks endurance and stamina. Being big and muscular doesn't mean that you'll be able to play full 90mins with the same intensity. Muscles have nothing to do with endurance. Marathon runners are the skinniest people on earth. Fernandinho and Kante both aren't very big and muscular but they have an incredible stamina and can run around for 90min. Mahrez is equally skinny compared to Phil. Same can be applied to Merlin. Phil is a playmaker, the likes of Rooney, Lukaku, Aguero are the strikers, therefore, their position on the pitch kind of demands them to have a strong body.

What you mean is he lacks endurance and stamina. Being big and muscular doesn't mean that you'll be able to play full 90mins with the same intensity. Muscles have nothing to do with endurance. Marathon runners are the skinniest people on earth. Fernandinho and Kante both aren't very big and muscular but they have an incredible stamina and can run around for 90min. Mahrez is equally skinny compared to Phil. Same can be applied to Merlin. Phil is a playmaker, the likes of Rooney, Lukaku, Aguero are the strikers, therefore, their position on the pitch kind of demands them to have a strong body.
I'm not saying he needs to be big and muscular

It’s preseason yes but he’s been lackluster. Our whole system revolves around our 8s bossing the games. I’m sure Pep will get his head right, not that it isn’t, but I think he will need to stay hungry. My City friend asked if he was getting too comfortable and I couldn’t say for sure.

Obv not trying to overreact here but it is the performances board and the last thread was locked.

you absolutely are overreacting. he played two games. two games which are basically glorified training matches and you are already judging him. its going to be impossible for any young player if your expecting world class performances every game. we have one of the best young players in england and we are already cirticisng him.

some of the comments of this thread are ridiculous.

Great first half from Phil. More lively and looked better on the right side. That touch and through ball to Bolton was incredible.

It is fair to call a spade a spade so FOH btw as he was average at best the first two games.

Much better tonight. I think the game being more open and fast paced gave him a much better platform and he showed some real glimpses of quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.