#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from few moments of quality to me he just doesn't look anything special on wing. This isn't the first time either.
I think he is playing there as we are a bit light there with Sane gone and Pep wants to rest Sterling and Mahrez for weekend. Next season with hopefully Ferran Torres joining he won't be forced on the wing.

Issue with that is if Guardiola is allowed to buy Torres, Aouar etc, will he still get regular starts, or become peripheral again? If Bernardo and Gundogan stay, they’ll be absorbing a lot of his potential minutes.

He needs a full season playing centrally every week to really develop; a season on loan at Leeds under Bielsa would benefit him - and the club - more long term than him being a squad player here.

If he’s Silva’s in-house replacement next season, which he’s earned the right to be, he’ll be ok - but if Aouar arrives then he’d be naive to stay.

Issue with that is if Guardiola is allowed to buy Torres, Aouar etc, will he still get regular starts, or become peripheral again? If Bernardo and Gundogan stay, they’ll be absorbing a lot of his potential minutes.

He needs a full season playing centrally every week to really develop; a season on loan at Leeds under Bielsa would benefit him - and the club - more long term than him being a squad player here.

If he’s Silva’s in-house replacement next season, which he’s earned the right to be, he’ll be ok - but if Aouar arrives then he’d be naive to stay.
I think the reason why Pep wants Aouar is because he actually has the qualities to replace Silva. He can control the game, good midfield ability on the ball kind of like Gundogan, but can also create. Foden maybe in time could be like this, but for now he's actually better in advanced roles. Phil is a better goal scorer than Silva so he usually links up with Jesus or like he did with Kev against the dippers to score. He plays on the wings a lot, but is tucked into more central areas to try to score.

So you could have in some games Phil on the left wing, but tucked in with Aouar being the #8 perhaps holding a bit more and Mendy providing the width.

Pep taking off Bernardo at a half time and in lots of games and keeping Phil on is more telling to me that Bernardo won't start as much as Phil next season unless he steps it up.

Torres would be the winger who could provide width which we don't have ATM.
Gundogan to me would just rotate with Rodri more or if needed in a 2 man midfield.

Not his best game at all, but to be fair to him he was out there with effectively our worst 11 and playing vs a team with an outside shot at fading relegation didn't help. He almost scored a wonderful goal, but gliding all around the pitch didn't do him many favors either. Picking up Aouar wasn't really high up on my pecking list of signings because it'll take minutes away from Phil at his best position in the 8 role. Unfortunately, I don't think Phil/Gundogan gives me enough confidence locking up that let sided 8 role. I reckon we're looking at another year of continued development before he's ready to lock down the position for good. COME ON DAVE, ONE MORE YEAR!

Not stressing though. Pep will have his trajectory mapped either way.

Not his best game at all, but to be fair to him he was out there with effectively our worst 11 and playing vs a team with an outside shot at fading relegation didn't help. He almost scored a wonderful goal, but gliding all around the pitch didn't do him many favors either. Picking up Aouar wasn't really high up on my pecking list of signings because it'll take minutes away from Phil at his best position in the 8 role. Unfortunately, I don't think Phil/Gundogan gives me enough confidence locking up that let sided 8 role. I reckon we're looking at another year of continued development before he's ready to lock down the position for good. COME ON DAVE, ONE MORE YEAR!

Not stressing though. Pep will have his trajectory mapped either way.
It's akin to saying 'we already have Iniesta, so don't need Xavi'. Different players for different purposes. If we pass on Aouar, we'll have only one competent press-resistant DLP in Gundogan next season.

And I'm not sure 8 is Foden's best position currently, he had his best performances closer to the goals (LC Final vs Villa, Liverpool home). He's very far from a finished article as CM

Edit: @Larry Stranger has pretty much summed it up in his post

Last edited:
Foden plays better when we move the ball quickly. When we play slow like yesterday, he isn't so effective.

I don't think it is any surprise the performance of the team was flat. We have nothing to play for in the league and the players just want to avoid injury to remain fit for the bigger games to come. It's natural. Bournemouth had something to play for so gave us a good game. I wont judge Foden based on yesterday, most of the team were coasting.

Foden plays better when we move the ball quickly. When we play slow like yesterday, he isn't so effective.
this the diffrence between him,and david silva.

foden wiil learn how to play football,slow or fast.

this way silva is best on control the game.

I like Foden as much as the next guy, but NO-ONE gets a free pass into the first team. Phil has to live or die on his performances and can’t be afraid of competition for his place in a world class team, even if the club brings in quality players to improve depth.

Football is a cruel mistress, and Phil has already had more success than many players will ever achieve.

That said, his future is exceedingly bright and I hope he continues to grow in leaps and bounds and forces City to spend their money elsewhere, where it’s more needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.