Phil - Scapegoats and witch hunts

What frustrates me is we have a core of players who have basically come of age or worked with Pep, Klopp and to a lesser extent Arteta, have all worked similar systems of dominating the ball and pressing high and having an extra man in midfield, but we have a manager who can't make the most of what those managers have done at club level.
Because he’s a not sure what to do waistcoat wa**er stumbled to a euro final and a semi final of a World Cup down to the players desire and not his shall I or shall I not tactics ..

If the Waistcoat had a bit more faith in his players, and kept Trippier further up the pitch, after we’d scored, maybe, just maybe, they would have created more problems for Serbia, rather than allowing Serbia to come back into the game.

I think Gallagher would have been a better option alongside Rice, as he has played in that position (more or less) most of the season.

We all know Phil can play anywhere across the front line, but if the team is too defensive, he will have little chance to make any impact.

It’s so fucking obvious what to do, but EVERYTHING with England is trying to get all the “stars” on the field at once!

Simply play Walker and Stones the same way Pep often played them…with Stones stepping into midfield, as needed, or sliding across in the 3 when Walker goes down the line as a wing back. If Trent was half the player he’s supposed to be, he’d be able to play the inverted full back, but he can’t defend!

That would allow Bellingham and Foden to run the inside channels, using their intelligence to exploit the spaces they and Kane can create, with Gordon and Saka/Bowen on the wings.

When we are defending, a midfield 5 of Saka/Bowen, Foden, Rice, Bellingham, Gordon should simply collapse on any potential counter to regain the ball as Walker and Stones slide back into their defensive positions.

City play this way for fun, and Southgate watches us enough to see us play this way, but the problem is that, good as England’s players are, they are simply not as good as City’s players!

At this point, after seeing Foden play his best football playing as a 10, coming inside from the RIGHT, on his left foot, it seems unconscionable that we try to shoehorn him into the team as a left winger, with an overlapping left back who is right footed!!!

For me, it should be simple, but if Southgate isn’t going to play Foden where he plays best, then simply play Gordon as a LM/LW and save Foden for a sub.

As others have mentioned, and as seems ridiculous to have to say at this point, Southgate should play his best TEAM, not his best eleven players in whatever position he can play them!

…………………Pickford
Walker..Stones…Guehi…Trippier
……………..….Rice
……...Foden…..….Bellingham
Bowen……..Kane……..Gordon

Last edited:
Waistcoat can't play his best team, he has to appease the FAs sponsors and ensure he has the ratio of scum, dipper and arse players sprinkled into the team . I would not be surprised if Mainoo is not somehow shoehorned in for the Denmark game because well scum fans want to see him play in an England shirt . I doubt Hellmans will sponsor England again after being left with Mayonnaise on their faces with Grealish, but the FA have the sponsorship money so it's all good .

It’s so fucking obvious what to do, but EVERYTHING with England is trying to get all the “stars” on the field at once!

Simply play Walker and Stones the same way Pep often played them…with Stones stepping into midfield, as needed, or sliding across in the 3 when Walker goes down the line as a wing back. If Trent was half the player he’s supposed to be, he’d be able to play the inverted full back, but he can’t defend!

That would allow Bellingham and Foden to run the inside channels, using their intelligence to exploit the spaces they and Kane can create, with Gordon and Saka/Bowen on the wings.

When we are defending, a midfield 5 of Saka/Bowen, Foden, Rice, Bellingham, Gordon should simply collapse on any potential counter to regain the ball as Walker and Stones slide back into their defensive positions.

City play this way for fun, and Southgate watches us enough to see us play this way, but the problem is that, good as England’s players are, they are simply not as good as City’s players!

At this point, after seeing Foden play his best football playing as a 10, coming inside from the RIGHT, on his left foot, it seems unconscionable that we try to shoehorn him into the team as a left winger, with an overlapping left back who is right footed!!!

For me, it should be simple, but if Southgate isn’t going to play Foden where he plays best, then simply play Gordon as a LM/LW and save Foden for a sub.

As others have mentioned, and as seems ridiculous to have to say at this point, Southgate should play his best TEAM, not his best eleven players in whatever position he can play them!

…………………Pickford
Walker..Stones…Guehi…Trippier
……………..….Rice
……...Foden…..….Bellingham
Bowen……..Kane……..Gordon
Drop Phil , Walker and Stones and get them match fit for the big game……………Chelsea!!!

Are any of us surprised?

I called it as soon as he dropped Grealish……knew he’d play Phil on the left and instead of playing on the half turn in the middle like he does for us, he’d end up playing as a static left winger with the ball being played into him with his back to goal…..

Fuck them all they can suck bellinghams cock for all I care
He’s only 20 you know.

The thing here is 'the manager'.
Foden has said he and Bellingham need time to gel.
It's because Southgate isn't at Pep's level to make it work. I suspect he'd have Bellingham as an 8, Foden a 10 and take your pick out on the left!

The press are talking about being a choice between Foden and JB. Foden should (if he's not gonna be a 10) be on the right BUT that's not gonna happen because the Tarquins and the Tarquin loving media would foam at the mouth.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.