Philippines

Went to Bohol last April which is in Cebu Provence.. it was very nice. The beaches were very, very nice. I stayed on Panglao Island (spelling?!?) which is Connected to Bohol by a bridge.

beaches were probably as good as anything I have ever seen, in fact I would say the best I’ve seen in Asia and I’ve seen quite a lot of Asia.

I went for a family holiday and liked it, people seemed nice enough.. I did feel it was a bit more edgy than other parts of Asia I’ve visited but not South America edgy of anything like that.

In my opinion the food definitely lagged behind other Asian countries that I’ve visited. It wasn’t bad but nowhere near countries like Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka etc (I Absolutely love Asian food).

the diving was really good if you’re into that and on a par with Indonesia (maybe not quite as good) but as good as anywhere else I’ve dived In the world and certainly better then the other places I’ve dived in Asia such as Thailand and Malaysia.

It was also very cheap.. much cheaper than say Thailand. Especially doing trips and stuff. Getting a small private boat for half a day to go and see dolphins was like £15 or something for the whole family. Going to see Whalesharks on some flash boat with free food and booze was only about £50 for the day. Diving was cheap. Getting a driver for a full day to take you around the island to see things like the Tasiers (worlds smallest primate) was about £20 and 45 minute Taxi ride was £3 or so.

the only thing I would say was there is a whole load of travel to get to the nicer islands...we were in transit for about 36 hours (Flights, ferries, taxis) before we got to where we were staying.. with young kids in tow that was hard work and the misses wouldn’t let me forget it as I was the one that wanted to go (for the diving).

beer is cheap and some of it is quite strong.. red horse messed me right up.. especially the day I was on it till 5am staying up to see us get knocked out of the CL by Spurs :(

Also I didn’t meet many English people (apart from a blue in a city kit) or Europeans for that matter (not that that’s a bad thing). My hotel and the area I was staying pretty much consisted of just locals and Asian tourists (mainly Chinese, South Korean and Japanese) which was quite nice actually.

I would definitely consider going again.

Not sure I'm brave enough to drink coffee made from shit haha

5 nights in Ubud but only 4 days as it's late arrival from UK, definitely want to do the sunrise volcano trek and was thinking of hiring a driver on another day to cram a full day tour in for the things I wanna see. Would leave a couple of days spare of which I'll certainly be looking to enjoy the hotel/resort I'm staying in, got a villa with a private infinity pool overlooking some jungle/forest (bargain price too)

https://www.natyahotel.com/en/hotel/natya-resort-ubud

Picked Sanur as I wanted some time on the beach after Ubud. Already done Kuta, didn't fancy Nusa Dua as heard it's a bit manmade and not much going on beyond the hotels, so it was a toss up between Seminyak/Legian and Sanur.
In the end the deal I have on the Fairmont hotel in Sanur won over. Heard good things about the area and that it's a little more traditional than other areas. Sadly I'm too old for the party scene so all I need these days is a nice beach and a few bars :)

I did look at Lombok, and the Gili Islands, but they might have to be done on a separate trip in the future as was getting a little congested/complex to cram either in for the last 2 nights.

Nusa Lembongan seemed a good fit; only 30 mins speedboat from Sanur which is ideal for the final leg.
Found a good priced hotel that only has 5 units, with incredible views back towards Bali. Will look to do some snorkelling there, inbetween enjoying another infinity plunge pool.

https://www.lembongansanctuaryvillas.com/

I'm a total peasant but the value in Bali means you can get these incredible properties for what you'd pay for a Travelodge in London.

I just had my 3 week trip to Ubud-Gilli Air-Nusa Lembongan and finishing off in Sanur cancelled due to COVID :(

I love Bali and surrounding islands.. my favourite place In the world. Been 5 times although I need to stop trying to go the Gilli islands.. every time I try and go something happens.. two years ago they had that earthquake on Lombok 2 days before I was meant to arrive.. this year it’s a pandemic.. I’m hoping to go next year now, so expect world war 3.

I always dive at Nusa Lembongan in day trips from Sanur and the islands look beautiful (well from the boat). Hence why I booked there this time. Also make sure you go out and see the Mantas.. they are almost guaranteed and you can snorkel if you don’t dive.

Sanur is in my humble opinion by far the best costal resort on the island. It’s chilled with lots of nice restaurants and far less traffic than say Seminyak or Kuta which although the former has nice restaurants and funky bars, neither are my bag as they are too busy (especially Kuta). There is also a decent place to watch the footie in Sanur.. Lazer Sports bar.. fond memories.. watched us win the FA cup in 2011 in there as well as Liverpool fuck up against Palace in 2014 before we won it on the final day. All made sweeter by the fact that the Indonesian chap that runs it is a dipper lol.

just writing this has got me annoyed that my flights were cancelled.

Agree with a lot of what you say about Philippines, Beanhead.
I also stayed on Panglao Island in Bohol and absolutely loved it.
I'm far from a foodie but can certainly see that it trails it's SE Asian neighbours in that respect.
Also found it to be cheap, though its amazing how you can burn through money even when things are so cheap haha
The only thing I don't agree with is it being 'edgy'. Everyone I encountered in my 2.5 weeks there was lovely and very friendly, not once did I feel in a potentially dodgy situation or on edge. In Thailand you sometimes feel like you're a walking £ sign so it was nice to not have that feeling whatsoever.

Sorry to hear about Bali coming unstuck this year, though I'm sure you'll make it out again next year.
Good to hear about Sanur; everything I've read suggests its one of the best beach areas on the island, bit more relaxed and not too crowded, and I'm very much looking forward to that stop. I'll be sure to check out that sports bar as no doubt there will be some football on.
I can't dive (wish I'd learnt!) but I'll be doing some snorkelling during my final 2 nights based on Nusa Lembongan.
Can't wait to go in February but mindful that there could be some COVID based hurdles yet to come.

My sister is moving to Philippines as soon as their lockdown restrictions ease for foreign nationals. She is moving from Dubai so i think it'll be a bit of a change!

Agree with a lot of what you say about Philippines, Beanhead.
I also stayed on Panglao Island in Bohol and absolutely loved it.
I'm far from a foodie but can certainly see that it trails it's SE Asian neighbours in that respect.
Also found it to be cheap, though its amazing how you can burn through money even when things are so cheap haha
The only thing I don't agree with is it being 'edgy'. Everyone I encountered in my 2.5 weeks there was lovely and very friendly, not once did I feel in a potentially dodgy situation or on edge. In Thailand you sometimes feel like you're a walking £ sign so it was nice to not have that feeling whatsoever.

Sorry to hear about Bali coming unstuck this year, though I'm sure you'll make it out again next year.
Good to hear about Sanur; everything I've read suggests its one of the best beach areas on the island, bit more relaxed and not too crowded, and I'm very much looking forward to that stop. I'll be sure to check out that sports bar as no doubt there will be some football on.
I can't dive (wish I'd learnt!) but I'll be doing some snorkelling during my final 2 nights based on Nusa Lembongan.
Can't wait to go in February but mindful that there could be some COVID based hurdles yet to come.

Did you stay on Alona beach at Panglao?

Sorry I should have been clearer when I said ‘edgy’ I was referring to Cebu and Manila as I stoped in both briefly on the way back. Just noticed a few taxi scams and such but like I say nothing really bad and that you wouldn’t expect from a sprawling city (Manila is huge). Like you say people on the costal resorts were really friendly and seemed super chilled, in fact to the point where you felt you had to actually ask them If you could buy things, which is definitely different to most parts of Asia.

If you loved Panglao you’ll love Sanur, obviously slightly more developed being in Bali but has the same chilled out vibe and the Balinese people are as friendly as ever. There is a nice beach with a foot path and people ridding up and down it on push bikes, with decent restaurants, cafes and shops dotted about. Feels like a village with a tourist hub, the place is horizontal... I love it!

hope everything is under control for your trip in February pal.

Did you stay on Alona beach at Panglao?

Sorry I should have been clearer when I said ‘edgy’ I was referring to Cebu and Manila as I stoped in both briefly on the way back. Just noticed a few taxi scams and such but like I say nothing really bad and that you wouldn’t expect from a sprawling city (Manila is huge). Like you say people on the costal resorts were really friendly and seemed super chilled, in fact to the point where you felt you had to actually ask them If you could buy things, which is definitely different to most parts of Asia.

If you loved Panglao you’ll love Sanur, obviously slightly more developed being in Bali but has the same chilled out vibe and the Balinese people are as friendly as ever. There is a nice beach with a foot path and people ridding up and down it on push bikes, with decent restaurants, cafes and shops dotted about. Feels like a village with a tourist hub, the place is horizontal... I love it!

hope everything is under control for your trip in February pal.

I stayed at this place on Panglao, it was about a 10 minute trike from Alona beach. One of the best hotels I've ever stayed at, the location right on the beach was out of this world. You had the benefit of Alona Beach within easy reach but this place felt like your own private paradise away from everything. The 5 nights went so fast, I've vowed to return to this hotel one day it made such an impression on me.

https://www.southpalmsresort.com/

87046259_10163002865740032_9045980485846564864_n.jpg

I'll be delighted if Sanur is similar to Panglao!
Wanted to be in a hotel right on the beach in Sanur, and got a crazy deal for 5 nights at Fairmont through Travelzoo recently. Various goodies thrown in and a heavily reduced rate.

https://www.fairmont.com/sanur-bali/

It's just that walking path that separates it from the beach so it's ideal, very excited to stay there and for the trip in general.
Don't even wanna think about the potential disappointment if COVID throws a spanner in the works :(

Not sure I'm brave enough to drink coffee made from shit haha

5 nights in Ubud but only 4 days as it's late arrival from UK, definitely want to do the sunrise volcano trek and was thinking of hiring a driver on another day to cram a full day tour in for the things I wanna see. Would leave a couple of days spare of which I'll certainly be looking to enjoy the hotel/resort I'm staying in, got a villa with a private infinity pool overlooking some jungle/forest (bargain price too)

https://www.natyahotel.com/en/hotel/natya-resort-ubud

Picked Sanur as I wanted some time on the beach after Ubud. Already done Kuta, didn't fancy Nusa Dua as heard it's a bit manmade and not much going on beyond the hotels, so it was a toss up between Seminyak/Legian and Sanur.
In the end the deal I have on the Fairmont hotel in Sanur won over. Heard good things about the area and that it's a little more traditional than other areas. Sadly I'm too old for the party scene so all I need these days is a nice beach and a few bars :)

I did look at Lombok, and the Gili Islands, but they might have to be done on a separate trip in the future as was getting a little congested/complex to cram either in for the last 2 nights.

Nusa Lembongan seemed a good fit; only 30 mins speedboat from Sanur which is ideal for the final leg.
Found a good priced hotel that only has 5 units, with incredible views back towards Bali. Will look to do some snorkelling there, inbetween enjoying another infinity plunge pool.

https://www.lembongansanctuaryvillas.com/

I'm a total peasant but the value in Bali means you can get these incredible properties for what you'd pay for a Travelodge in London.

Nice one mate, sounds like you've got it well planned out. Really hope covid doesn't stuff your plans up!

I stayed at this place on Panglao, it was about a 10 minute trike from Alona beach. One of the best hotels I've ever stayed at, the location right on the beach was out of this world. You had the benefit of Alona Beach within easy reach but this place felt like your own private paradise away from everything. The 5 nights went so fast, I've vowed to return to this hotel one day it made such an impression on me.

https://www.southpalmsresort.com/

87046259_10163002865740032_9045980485846564864_n.jpg

I'll be delighted if Sanur is similar to Panglao!
Wanted to be in a hotel right on the beach in Sanur, and got a crazy deal for 5 nights at Fairmont through Travelzoo recently. Various goodies thrown in and a heavily reduced rate.

https://www.fairmont.com/sanur-bali/

It's just that walking path that separates it from the beach so it's ideal, very excited to stay there and for the trip in general.
Don't even wanna think about the potential disappointment if COVID throws a spanner in the works :(

That is a seriously nice beach!

And I know where that beach / hotel is, we actually considered it but went with staying on Alona, mainly due to the kids being young and needing amenities on our door step. We stayed at that huge hotel on the widest (and nicest) part of the beach in the corner of Alona, this one:

https://www.henann.com/bohol/henannalonabeach/

wasn't too shabby either.

We always stay in the north of Sanur but I know exactly where your hotel is, it's just past the Hyatt Regency on the plot between the main street where the roundabout is and the beach. The dive centre usually pick me up on a motorbike and we go that way to get to the dive boat, also our hotel has a sister hotel near there, it's in a good spot mate.

It is in a similar spot to where I stay in that it's beach front with just the path separating you from the beach and the main street behind. Perfect position, as there aren't actually huge amount of places that are beach front in Sanur. We stay here and have done for at least some portion of each trip whenever we've gone to Bali:

https://santrian.com/griya-santrian/

Absolutely love the place, it's paradise and the staff are so nice and friendly, the majority were there when we first visited a decade ago so they've seen our kids grow from babies and always make a fuss of them.

I should have been flying next Sunday... gutted.. always next year though!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.