PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

This is an excellent summary.

I usually like his stuff but didn't like his headline on this. There is nothing in what he has demonstrated that would help him reach the conclusion that 'maybe' we are guilty. Quite the opposite. He uses excellent financial information to demonstrate exactly how our business plan has worked and worked brilliantly. I thought Colin did a far better job of putting the charges into context on Cheesys blog without the help of all them fancy charts.

Very quickly, now the TL,DR version:

UEFA accused us of having deliberately faked our accounts and other FFP submissions to deceive them into letting us spend money the rules didn't allow us to spend, which is an extremely grave allegation involving conduct that potentially constitutes a serious criminal offence on the part of some of the club's officers and employees.
If allegations proved will we get a tax rebate P?

:) Thanks for the comprehensive reply and this one. Really appreciate you trying to explain all this legal stuff to a poor accountant.

Sorry for making you waste your time and miss your deadline, though. On the bright side, maybe I am almost there.

Edit: At least I got a lawyer to be brief, if only through exasperation :)

Thanks. I managed to extend the deadline from 10 am to midday local time and sent my document just before half past eleven. Generally, I don't think people mind you quite narrowly missing a deadline if you keep them informed. I did say I'd been working on a piece of legal analysis that took longer than I expected. The guy will have thought I meant something connected with my real job, even though I took care not to say so, but he need never know that I was posted on BM!

As for the substantive point, I was partly amused but also partly incandescent when I discovered how weak UEFA's evidence was before the CAS. How fucking dare they make accusations as serious as that on such a pathetically flimsy basis!

So now I think we should keep in sharp focus the fact that the PL seems to be levelling exactly the same accusations. We should be reminding everybody as loudly as we can that this is what, to all appearances, they're doing. And you can't just throw charges like that around and hope they'll be proved unless you have particularly compelling evidence for doing so. (See the posts about cogency from several lawyers on here).

Richard Keys said today in Bein Sport En, that Rui Pinto is a hero because he desclosed all the information about City!!!! This guy is biased، idiot and really hate City.​

Just a hairy moron. Adds no value at all as a presenter-pundit. Don’t mind BeIN though they usually have some decent guests - and their commentary on BeIN Premium is a fall-back for me - it’s in Arabic !

Last edited:
If allegations proved will we get a tax rebate P?

Don't think so. We haven't paid much tax, have we? We made losses over the first several seasons after the takeover and now profits are fairly small because the shareholders try to reinvest the club's money rather than taking it out for themselves.

I usually like his stuff but didn't like his headline on this. There is nothing in what he has demonstrated that would help him reach the conclusion that 'maybe' we are guilty. Quite the opposite. He uses excellent financial information to demonstrate exactly how our business plan has worked and worked brilliantly. I thought Colin did a far better job of putting the charges into context on Cheesys blog without the help of all them fancy charts.

I was also slightly disappointed with the Swiss Ramble piece. He's obviously trying hard to be impartial, but IMO he's missed one or two important points in trying to be all

I also agree about the headline and concluding line: "Will City be found guilty? Maybe." He could easily have said, "Let's wait and see!" when speaking about the prospects, and that would have been a much wiser course given that neither he or anyone else really has any idea at this stage what the likely outcome is.

After all, none of us knows exactly what evidence the PL will be putting forward, so we can't assess the strength of the case. Of the points I mentioned above that he's missed, one is the fact that, if the charges are as serious as he says, this has an important effect on the standard of proof required in the case. It's very much something worth mentioning.

I haven't listened yet to Colin on Cheesy's blog. I will do later, though.

Don't think so. We haven't paid much tax, have we? We made losses over the first several seasons after the takeover and now profits are fairly small because the shareholders try to reinvest the club's money rather than taking it out for themselves.

I was also slightly disappointed with the Swiss Ramble piece. He's obviously trying hard to be impartial, but IMO he's missed one or two important points in trying to be all

I also agree about the headline and concluding line: "Will City be found guilty? Maybe." He could easily have said, "Let's wait and see!" when speaking about the prospects, and that would have been a much wiser course given that neither he or anyone else really has any idea at this stage what the likely outcome is.

After all, none of us knows exactly what evidence the PL will be putting forward, so we can't assess the strength of the case. Of the points I mentioned above that he's missed, one is the fact that, if the charges are as serious as he says, this has an important effect on the standard of proof required in the case. It's very much something worth mentioning.

I haven't listened yet to Colin on Cheesy's blog. I will do later, though.
Do you have a link for this blog? Not familiar with it. Thanks

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.