PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

Surely now though we are successful enough to not need etihad and can find other huge sponsors? Silver lake must know huge and wealthy companies who would want to be associated with us?! We also have Chinese investors and a bloody Chinese club ownership don’t we do we must have contacts?
We started to look for a replacement for Etihad but covid got in the way. We planned to split Stadium naming from Shirt front.
We no longer have Chinese shareholders (apart from a vestigial holding) as the Chinese gov told companies to reduce involvement with PL clubs. Silver lake effectively bought their shares.
Mansour 77%, Silver lake 23%.

Surely now though we are successful enough to not need etihad and can find other huge sponsors? Silver lake must know huge and wealthy companies who would want to be associated with us?! We also have Chinese investors and a bloody Chinese club ownership don’t we do we must have contacts?
Don’t you know, we’re a state owned club, we have to be sponsored by Abu Dhabi sponsors

Under the new PL rules, the PL could decide Etihad is “associated” which is their new term coined to get at us. IAS24 does not need to be applicable. PL has not defined what “associated” means. They will decide on a case by case basis. Ha!
So they are using different rules to UEFA? I didn't realise that. UEFA FFP rules are based on standard accounting practice.

Under the new PL rules, the PL could decide Etihad is “associated” which is their new term coined to get at us. IAS24 does not need to be applicable. PL has not defined what “associated” means. They will decide on a case by case basis. Ha!
Can they? I thought it was only for new sponsorships?

As I understand it, CAS determined that Etihad is not a related party? (An easy determination to make, since there are objective tests as to whether a party is related or not.)

If that is indeed the case, then Etihad as an unrelated party pays what it likes and that is by definition is fair value, i.e. A sponsorship deal is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, and provided they are an unrelated party, whatever they are prepared to pay, is fair value. We could get a sponsorship deal from Elon Musk for £10bn a year and that would be fair value, if Musk was daft enough to pay it.

Bottom line is, provided Etihad is deemed a non-related party, they can pay us what on earth they like and there is fuck all the PL or anyone else can do about it.
If I remember rightly, UEFA decided that the Etihad deal was fair value so didn't pursue the related party angle as it was pointless as it passed the first test. The Etisalat & Abarr(sp) steel company were passed but we were asked to not increase those 2 in the near future at least.

Don't get bogged down in the weeds by all the related party talk.

The main attack is our owner disguising investment through bonifide sponsors.

The bar is set very high to be able to lay a glove on that.

They can't and they know it.

The main attack on sponsorship, or the main attack of the charges as a whole?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.