PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

I’ve just missed a connecting flight so found myself with 8 hours to spare in Heathrow so I did some reading up on the full suite of charges. I’m a qualified accountant by trade but by no means an expert at this type of stuff. In my mind the charges all boil down to two overarching accusations:

1. Knowingly falsifying accounts for 9 years - essentially the backbone of the accusation and one of the most difficult things in civil law to prove. Hard to put into words quite how significant this claim is (volume of people involved and consequence) but the severity of the claim requires a suite of evidence that is just cannot imagine the PL being able to attain or prove. The knock on effect of this claim, if true, wouldn’t stop with football related charges but would spill well beyond that.

While not totally watertight the CAS verdict here is a very good indicator of the evidence seemingly available for this claim. While most people dismiss the CAS verdict because they think it’s mainly a time barred verdict, this isn’t actually entirely true and there are very clear outcomes within it that address this accusation, and determine that the evidence does not support such a claim.

2. Failure to comply appropriately. Not something to worry about for me. The club does have a right to provide things in a way it sees fit so it could well be that what the PL have requested is unreasonable. Equally you cannot provide things that do not exist. The independent committee will request evidence from both sides as they see fit to determine No.1 and the consequence of No.2 will be lost in the noise to prove No.1.

Most of the charges seem to sit in various guises under No.1 will a section for No.2. I wouldn’t want to go on record but based on the evidence leaked to date, the verdict of CAS, and the severity of the accusation, I feel like a strong set of lawyers will eat this particular set of allegations up. But let’s see…

I’ve just missed a connecting flight so found myself with 8 hours to spare in Heathrow so I did some reading up on the full suite of charges. I’m a qualified accountant by trade but by no means an expert at this type of stuff. In my mind the charges all boil down to two overarching accusations:

1. Knowingly falsifying accounts for 9 years - essentially the backbone of the accusation and one of the most difficult things in civil law to prove. Hard to put into words quite how significant this claim is (volume of people involved and consequence) but the severity of the claim requires a suite of evidence that is just cannot imagine the PL being able to attain or prove. The knock on effect of this claim, if true, wouldn’t stop with football related charges but would spill well beyond that.

While not totally watertight the CAS verdict here is a very good indicator of the evidence seemingly available for this claim. While most people dismiss the CAS verdict because they think it’s mainly a time barred verdict, this isn’t actually entirely true and there are very clear outcomes within it that address this accusation, and determine that the evidence does not support such a claim.

2. Failure to comply appropriately. Not something to worry about for me. The club does have a right to provide things in a way it sees fit so it could well be that what the PL have requested is unreasonable. Equally you cannot provide things that do not exist. The independent committee will request evidence from both sides as they see fit to determine No.1 and the consequence of No.2 will be lost in the noise to prove No.1.

Most of the charges seem to sit in various guises under No.1 will a section for No.2. I wouldn’t want to go on record but based on the evidence leaked to date, the verdict of CAS, and the severity of the accusation, I feel like a strong set of lawyers will eat this particular set of allegations up. But let’s see…
You are Benjani and I claim my £10

Do the premier league realise that they are accusing khaldoon, an Emirati Government official, of lying, deceit and fraud?

And do the premier league really know that they have accused the deputy prime minister of the UAE, Sheikh Mansour, of the same thing AND are accusing him of allowing the cooking of the books, lying, fraud, falsyfying accounts?

I mean, just read that and think wtf have the premier league done!

This is going to turn very messy i think.

Mistakes? In order for City to have done what the Prem has charged they are basically a corrupt organization from top to bottom willfully running a quasi-criminal enterprise for the better part of FIFTEEN years while conspiring with or defrauding an entire sub industry including investors (Spring Lake), auditors, players, managers, agents, officials, supporters and whoever else. Not buying it. This is a matter of intentional extreme overkill by the Prem in the hopes that something or other might stick while at the same time attempting to hinder our ability to succeed on the pitch and in the transfer market. I'm past opinions. This is the reality for anyone with the slightest bit of savvy of how the wheels go round and round. Are you sitting there and watching...
This is a really good post.

Same as CAS, I get the impression they have charged us with what they can without any co-operation from the club.

And like CAS we will present evidence for each charge that the committee will have to accept.

I seem to be the only one on the whole forum who is pretty relaxed about all this and not at all concerned by stories of accounting fraud and misleading auditors.

So I am probably wrong. :)
im the same , the cas thing was omg, but we've been here before and i've no concerns ,or give one single fuck

I'm not sure it is that comparable, and agree with domalino on this one. Thought the same myself earlier.

It taking a really long time as it goes through various courts, I can get. It would be expected, civil servants time and availability, general caseloads and commitments to things already in motion, waiting for its turn, on top of then the time it takes to review it and rule on the matter.

A panel, assembled purely for this purpose with no other commitments should really only take as long as it takes to review the information and come to a conclusion.

You are right in that the PL took 4 years, but in some ways you'd think there would have been a wait while the uefa investigation and then the cas process took place too. And even if not, if they were actively working on it for 4 years, doesnt mean it takes the same time to review it.

The cas review of Uefa's decision on took months. Uefa's regulatorybbody that dishes out punishment took months, once the charges were put forward. The one that took time was the investigation to come to the charges. I don't see why the regulatory panel decision part of this should take as long as many think.
It won't if they have already reached a conclusion before the evidence has been presented.

Local tv news tonight had an article re Vincent and the general tenor of the introduction was that Vinny was pointing the finger at City, but when we actually heard his own words out of his own mouth he was saying that he was uncomfortable with the shite that keeps coming MCFC's way - at least that's what I thought. And they did mention that City have IRREFUTABLE evidence to kibosh all the charges.

I can't make sense of all this to be honest, but I'm beginning to think for some reason certain people want Manchester City pre occupied/ distracted ( hence the number and magnitude of charges ) while other things happen.

As for the soulless journalists and hard of thinking fans of the cartel clubs who are giddy about possible punishments, they can only be compared to someone knocking one off to some beautiful celebrity... its nice for a short time but at the back of their mind they know it will never happen and they'll have to clean up!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.