Player Pay Cuts during Crisis

bewildered

How do we feel about the fact that so far we have not had any indication that players will take a significant financial hit during the current crisis?

I know some clubs have announced %reductions and deferrals of wages but frankly the idea that low wage staff are getting furloughed or losing their jobs altogether while players seem to be insulated financially from this, personally I find this to be disgusting.

Lets face it, if our first team squad waived their wages for the remaining quarter of the current season, I'm pretty sure it would fund every other job in the club.

I'm not specifically having a go at our players, I think this is a general thing, all players & clubs should be taking this step.

Lets be realistic about it, the first team players don't need the money.

Maybe it will happen in the next few weeks but tbh if I don't see some kind of significant gesture from the players it will be a disgrace and I might have attended my last game of premier league football.

Give them a chance,the PFA is teling them to wait on wages,they are donating money on their own,the club are paying the matchday staff for the rest of the season,wait and see what else happens,there are plenty of mega rich people who are not being asked to pay up including the cabinet and other millionare mp's

Players also have cast iron contracts,oues are performance related heavy so they will be losing a lot of money by not playing

Pay cuts will happen, but at this stage it's not clear when they'll be able to work again and under what conditions.

I wouldn't rush into a decision like that either.

Give them a chance,the PFA is teling them to wait on wages,they are donating money on their own,the club are paying the matchday staff for the rest of the season,wait and see what else happens,there are plenty of mega rich people who are not being asked to pay up including the cabinet and other millionare mp's

Yes, but the only thing driving the "must finish the season" brigade is legalities and money. Government shouldn't be subsidising football clubs where one group of staff earn more in a week than the rest of staff do in a week during the crisis.

PFA have once again shown themselves to be what they are. Head of that org earns far more than any MP.

Noses are firmly in troughs.

No problem with it at all.
Clubs furloghing staff is the fault of clubs' leadership teams not the players. Also the government (imo) who should have set a limit on the size of company that can furlogh staff but that's for another thread.

Yes, but the only thing driving the "must finish the season" brigade is legalities and money. Government shouldn't be subsidising football clubs where one group of staff earn more in a week than the rest of staff do in a week during the crisis.

PFA have once again shown themselves to be what they are. Head of that org earns far more than any MP.

Noses are firmly in troughs.
The people pushing to restart this season are the football bodies for whom money and getting the history clubs to the top is there only concern,we as a club have put out a statement that we wont risk any players or staff until this is over and safe to resume,i think we are being responsible as a club,the players are giving money,the question of wage cuts is for the unions and clubs to sort out
The three clubs who are doing the furloughing thing are wrong i think,esp spurs and the geordies

@karen7 Well I'd expect nothing from the PFA tbh, I'm really uncomfortable with the idea that the Gov & ultimately us as taxpayers will pick up the bill for workers either supported in jobs or who have lost jobs due to this. In the PL player wages are 50-78% of turnover. Its a crazy percentage and football is unique in that characteristic.

It's abhorrent.

Top level football across Europe is being shown up for what it is. Self interested, greedy, corporate.

Yep.

Sickening that clubs like Spurs and Newcastle are relying on the country to pay people's wages (while the country is effectively at war) rather than redistributing the wages of the highest earners so that the lowest earners can afford to pay the bills and keep a roof over their heads.

Players also have cast iron contracts,oues are performance related heavy so they will be losing a lot of money by not playing

The contracts will all have force majeure clauses so are unlikely to stand up in the current circumstances, you make a very good point about the perfromance related aspects. I suspect that not all clubs will have such well structured contracts (maybe a reason why some players have not come to us in recent times).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.