Player Topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps he should just be more agricultural. Even if he's giving away corners and throw ins, just stop the attack and don't try and be too clever.
The way our full backs are high up the pitch doesn't help him either. Nor does Toure and his lack of help in defence. It usually results in Otamendi, Mangala and Fernandinho being left to deal with midfield runners and at least one striker.

He's nowhere near as bad as some make out, he came with a target on him because of his price tag and for this reason the smallest error he makes is exaggerated wildly. A lot of room for improvement which I'd back him to make due to his great attitude.

Forget the price tag, the kid's a Human Being. He'll make his mistakes and his price tag is based on how he performed for Porto. What was the balance like in hat team, then or what were the league's strengths for that matter compared to ours? He's genuinely finding it tougher.

That said, none of Watford's strikers scored. Neither, so the back four did their jobs. No, it wasn't pretty and it can't always be so.

Igahlo has been scoring for fun and he came against a brick wall in Ela. As for the corner, he's tried shepherding it out in the past, only to have the ball nicked off his toes and he got slated for it. Today, he, inadvertently, touches it out (not convinced he got a touch anyway) and he gets slated for it. The kid can't win!!

He's had two tough games in different weather conditions and came up trumps against both in form strikers.

Give him a fooking break!

This is precisely what I've been thinking since the game.

All the pre-match talk on Sty was of how Deeney and Ighalo were going to cause all sorts of problems for Eli and Nico, and yet Watford's only goal came from a corner that shouldn't have been given.

Yes, Mangala made mistakes, but none of them was serious enough to lead to a goal and Manchester City won the game.

Being blamed for the Watford goal due to touching the ball while shielding it out of play,for me he was fouled by the striker was shoved in the back ref bottled it and give the corner instead of free-kick...

Agree the corner wasn't his fault. Every single game though I watch this kid and there will always be one moment when I watch him and think 'this guy has absolutely no fucking idea what he is doing at all, whatsoever'. But we live in hope

It's not easy to defend in a sport where the referees decisions are heavily weighted in the attackers favour.

Strikers will back into the defenders time and time again. They will also hold the defenders off with their strength when it suits them. However, they are also guaranteed a free kick 9 times out of 10 for going down under the slightest of pressure.

A prime example was the past two games. Against Leicester Vardy backed into Mangala and dropped to the floor and got a free kick. The commentators even called in smart play. However yesterday Ighalo clearly nudges Mangala in the back whilst he's running and no free kick is given.

The way we are set up to defend, as in defending with a high line can work. But not in the way we utilise it. Time and time again we try to Nick the ball from the attacker and give away needless free kicks. Compare this to Barca, who are the benchmark of the high press, and they force the opposition into mistakes and intercept passes rather than making direct tackles.

It's basic tactical shape and discipline which I think our whole team is lacking from a defensive standpoint. The moment Silva, Yaya or Kun just leave a player to waltz past them ruins the team shape. We manage to hold a good decent line but the laziness of the attacking players is the reason we are so susceptible to a simple diagonal pass through our defence. Hopefully Pep will master this.

If we had a left back who could actually defend or some proper cover in front of him then maybe he could actually get on with doing his job rather than having to overcome being sold down the river by his bone idle team mates?
No wonder the poor fucker is jumpy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.