Player Topic: Raheem Sterling (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not composure for me. look at the composure he showed against us at Anfield in what looked like a title decider. He isn't snatching at chances. He is side footing them. He just isn't a technically clean footballer. He's a very dangerous player but on ocassion, he doesn't make clean contact with the ball when he uses his instep. It catches a stud or it comes off his heel a little bit. He sometimes leaves it a bit behind himself when he sets off with it. I'm not slagging him off, I already love him. It adds to his unpredictability but we will have to take the rough with the smooth.

Finishing wise I think he needs to try something different. He's been in that position now about 4 times this season without scoring. Each time he has gone low across the keeper. Keepers watch tapes of players. Even I know what's coming when he gets there and I'm not even a good amatuer keeper. I think he just needs to try something different. Go high or go near post. Or play him on the opposite wing where his finishing can probably be a bit instinctive - laces rather than instep.

The good thing is he getting into those positions as frequently as he is doing. He looks a big goal threat until he shoots. I think something will click with him sooner rather than later and he will turn into a 15-20 goal a season player.

True, composure was probably the wrong word. "I want him to think more about what he's about to do" was what I was trying to say.

Sterling actually reminds me of Ronaldo after he left Sporting. You can see the talent and you can see the amount he could potentially run a game but he isn't quite there yet and needs to develop both technically and mentally. Not to suggest he will be as good as Ronaldo, just that his potential is that high in my eyes.

As you say, imagine if he had 3 years of working every day with people like Aguero and Silva behind him and how good he could be if he was clinical. Could potentially have scored about 6 in 6 games for us if he was better at finishing and this doesn't include the other parts of his game which will also improve.

I'm a big fan, I think we've bought the next global superstar here.

True, composure was probably the wrong word. "I want him to think more about what he's about to do" was what I was trying to say.

Sterling actually reminds me of Ronaldo after he left Sporting. You can see the talent and you can see the amount he could potentially run a game but he isn't quite there yet and needs to develop both technically and mentally. Not to suggest he will be as good as Ronaldo, just that his potential is that high in my eyes.

As you say, imagine if he had 3 years of working every day with people like Aguero and Silva behind him and how good he could be if he was clinical. Could potentially have scored about 6 in 6 games for us if he was better at finishing and this doesn't include the other parts of his game which will also improve.

I completely agree. He seems to be mentally strong and switched on as well which is important. You can see how much he helps out his full back and fulfills his defensive duties. He is tactically good which is quite rare in such a young player.

I just hope he can continue to improve at the rate we believe he is capable. Because if he does, I agree we have a superstar.

The lad just needs to get on that training ground and practice his striking of the ball,( also his body shape is all wrong when shooting, I wonder if he was ever told this or if he was just so good elsewhere it was deemed irrelevant) , every single day, some say it may be too late but I say never. Maybe get KDB to tutor him, he improves his striking abilities/finishing and he could rattle home 15-20 goals a season.

His finishing technique is just dreadful. He sidefoots it to the goalkeeper every time. He doesn't try to drill it low, or he doesn't put it over the keeper. He gives it the softest touch right to the goalkeepers waiting hands. He should be called for backpassing

Look at his finishes compared to DiMarias last night. Same kind of scenario, Di Maria curls it high over the keepers shoulder with pace. Sterling needs to mix it up and try this sometimes.

darius vassell got told the complete opposite.

I think he's overthinking the chances that are coming his way and he's probably being effected by expectation on him. His work in and around the box(scoring and assisting) in pre-season was top notch, now he's trying too hard thus making himself easy to read. Opening his body pretty early to get on his right foot. I think a few goals in a row will up his confidence and he'll begin netting more regularly.

Though statistically his finishing has been better than Agueros thus far aha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.