Player topic: Stevan Jovetic (2014/15)

Toje Vic said:
mekonmcfc said:
Toje Vic said:
I don't think I am, sunshine. I can't comprehend how anyone can think he's not a talented footballer.
Not delivering is a different matter all together.
you clearly wank yourself furiously to his picture every night, can tell just from your name he's your idol, SUNSHINE

honestly, i hadn't really followed him until he'd signed (still don't really). The only reason its my name is because for some reason there's been a strange number of people queuing up to board the Jovetic-hating band wagon. Bottom line, if Stev's legs weren't like sugar glass the all round consensus would be different.

IF my Auntie had bollocks she'd be my Uncle.
The guy is 25, showed us very little - if anything - out of the ordinary to say he's worth persisting with. He flatters to deceive at best, and the fact we are this far down the line and his injuries are still a problem; is a problem for us. At his age, he has missed nearly 3 years of his career development to injury, and at £22million we've passed the point of waiting on this 'talent' to blossom'. With our circumstances and demands, we needed him to have settled, regained fitness and start consistently showing us he was worth his transfer fee. He's barely settled, let alone the rest.

BlueTG said:
Toje Vic said:
mekonmcfc said:
you clearly wank yourself furiously to his picture every night, can tell just from your name he's your idol, SUNSHINE

honestly, i hadn't really followed him until he'd signed (still don't really). The only reason its my name is because for some reason there's been a strange number of people queuing up to board the Jovetic-hating band wagon. Bottom line, if Stev's legs weren't like sugar glass the all round consensus would be different.

The guy is 25, showed us very little - if anything - out of the ordinary to say he's worth persisting with. He flatters to deceive at best, and the fact we are this far down the line and his injuries are still a problem; is a problem for us. At his age, he has missed nearly 3 years of his career development to injury, and at £22million we've passed the point of waiting on this 'talent' to blossom'. With our circumstances and demands, we needed him to have settled, regained fitness and start consistently showing us he was worth his transfer fee. He's barely settled, let alone the rest.

hallelujah

BlueTG said:
Toje Vic said:
mekonmcfc said:

think you're bang on.
I'm not saying we should persist with him, the club is all that really matters and if he is constantly off the boil then there is an obvious cut off point, my argument is pretty much that he's a talented footballer.

BlueTG said:
Toje Vic said:
mekonmcfc said:

Are you speaking collectively for BM, individually for yourself or on behalf of the club.?

I agree that he has yet to show us what real potential is, but there have been glimses to say he does have it in his locker (e.g. Liverpool, Bayern etc). The fact he wasn't shipped out in Jan suggests the club are willing to see what giving him additional time will reveal.
I am on the side of lets him him a fair crack of the whip to show his skills, you are on the opposite side, that's fine and I have no argument with that.

I just get frustrated to hear quite a few write him off as Shite, when clearly he isn't.

mosssideblue said:
BlueTG said:
Toje Vic said:

Are you speaking collectively for BM, individually for yourself or on behalf of the club.?

I agree that he has yet to show us what real potential is, but there have been glimses to say he does have it in his locker (e.g. Liverpool, Bayern etc). The fact he wasn't shipped out in Jan suggests the club are willing to see what giving him additional time will reveal.
I am on the side of lets him him a fair crack of the whip to show his skills, you are on the opposite side, that's fine and I have no argument with that.

I just get frustrated to hear quite a few write him off as Shite, when clearly he isn't.

Well IMO, but backed up by the club in their choice of player to drop from the UCL list. I haven't written him off as shite, but in nearly 2 seasons at the club the games he has impressed in is very little in what we all would expect. He won't get a fair crack in the team, because his own injury record prevents it time and time again. Quite rightly no one was shipped out in January. With our sick note squad it'd have been title suicide.

mekonmcfc said:
Dribble said:
mekonmcfc said:
you are telling me on a forum i have to say how good jovetic is when he is clearly nowhere near good enough, just because you dont like fans having an opinion different to yours ? again you talk complete crap. If you had an ounce of footballing knowledge you would see he is simply not at the level a club like us should have.
Get back tp playing FIFA where he is probably everything you always dreamed he would be !!
It wasn't that long ago that many had the same opinion of Nasri. Sometimes it takes certain players just that little bit longer to live up to their potential and from what I've seen Jovetic falls into that category. Whether he'll be given that time is another matter, but Nasri was and who can say they regret the patience and faith we showed in the player?

so you're saying you want to keep playing him in the hope he will do something good, you tell me what he has shown you that warrants that kind of blinkered support ?
Nasri was a proven player in the premier league and we all know what he could do, and has more quality in his little toe than Jovetic shows week in week out. He's played 14 games i think it is this season in the league, is that not enough for you ?
It isn't blinkered support, its a reasoned observation by watching him with interest since he signed and I've seen enough to be convinced that given an injury free run in the squad, that he'll prove his worth. certain fans cursed Nasri for always playing the safe ball, but when Jovetic tries something creatively different he gets slaughtered. There is only one time I can recall where Jovetic tried something out of the ordinary and it led to us conceding a goal, but the same can be said of many of our squad so what should we do, jettison them all?

It's all about opinions and just like arseholes everyone's got one. I get it you don't rate him, but many who can see past his injury problems and his stop start appearances for us view the player differently to you and others. I would remind you that Nasri only came to fruition in his final season and a half at Arsenal as before that the Gooners mostly leveled your opinion of Jovetic at him.

As it stands they've never forgiven him for getting off from them to win trophies....... Fans like that have very very short memories indeed.

It might be worth reminding ourselves that he was pretty decent in the run-in last season. The lad's obviously a flawed talent, but a talent nevertheless and I am of the opinion that if he can stay fit (a big if, granted) he can grow to be a really top player. As it stands, he's too desperate to impress and therefore constantly trying fancy stuff all the time that doesn't come off. He needs to calm down, keep it simple and not try so hard. But it's an issue because with him getting little game time, he presumably feels unless he sets the world alight when he plays, he's not getting picked next game. I feel a bit sorry for the lad, because it seems like his hearts in the right place. Maybe it's just not meant to be at City, but I sure as hell will be miffed if we sell him for buttons and he ends up being top star at another club - and I would not rule that out.

Chippy_boy said:
It might be worth reminding ourselves that he was pretty decent in the run-in last season. The lad's obviously a flawed talent, but a talent nevertheless and I am of the opinion that if he can stay fit (a big if, granted) he can grow to be a really top player. As it stands, he's too desperate to impress and therefore constantly trying fancy stuff all the time that doesn't come off. He needs to calm down, keep it simple and not try so hard. But it's an issue because with him getting little game time, he presumably feels unless he sets the world alight when he plays, he's not getting picked next game. I feel a bit sorry for the lad, because it seems like his hearts in the right place. Maybe it's just not meant to be at City, but I sure as hell will be miffed if we sell him for buttons and he ends up being top star at another club - and I would not rule that out.

Like what? All I remember from last season was just after coming on a sub (returning from injury) he brillaintly dispossed Tottenham (1-5 last season) by sneaking up on the player receiving the throw in and it led to a goal. Then he scored the fourth. Thing is we were all over Tottenham before he came on anyway.

Other than that it was his goal against Chelsea in the FA Cup.

dobobobo said:
Chippy_boy said:

Like what? All I remember from last season was just after coming on a sub (returning from injury) he brillaintly dispossed Tottenham (1-5 last season) by sneaking up on the player receiving the throw in and it led to a goal. Then he scored the fourth. Thing is we were all over Tottenham before he came on anyway.

Other than that it was his goal against Chelsea in the FA Cup.
I think he remembers his cameo against Villa at 0-0 on May 7th. Jovetic came on and it provided space between the Villa lines for us to break-through. Not sure he was as brilliant as he was effective.

Matty said:
Jovetic is obviously, and understandibly, pissed off about being removed from the Champion's League squad for the remainder of this season. You wouldn't want him to be anything other than annoyed by this and, whilst it would have been better if he'd kept his council and said what needed to be said inhouse, you can understand why he has made his feelings public.

What Jovetic needs to understand is that, ultimately, this isn't City's fault, or City's doing. The blame for this whole sorry situation falls on the doorstep of UEFA. It's their, frankly corrupt, FFP regulations that lead to our punishment. It's their "reinterpretation" of those rules that caused us to fail them instead of pass them. If he wants to direct his ire in the correct direction then a strongly worded assault on UEFA, FFP and those who implimented those regulations, would be a wiser approach. A top European player drawing attention to how UEFA's FFP rules have impacted his career would make other top level players take note, and potentially put some pressure on the clubs.

What Jovetic also needs to accept is that he too contributed to his own downfall here. His injury record (not really his fault) and his struggles to score goals and make a big impact (his fault) lead to him being the "17th" foreign player. If he'd been in top form, and playing really well, then you suspect he'd have stayed in the squad and an underperforming Dzeko would have been more at risk.

Jovetic's argument that he didn't deserve to be removed from the squad is a fairly sound one, but it ignores the fact that no-one actually deserved to be removed from the squad, however (assuming Bony was always going to be added) someone HAD to be removed. If not Jovetic who else does he believe should have been removed? Who else "deserved" to be left out? It's an easy position and argument for him to take up, but it ignores the difficult decision that HAD to be made. Someone was always going to be left disappointed. Jovetic was left vulnerable because we had 4 foreign "strikers" to pick from, which he cant be blamed for. He was left vulnerable because his deeper role could also be covered by Silva and Nasri, which he can't be blamed for. He was left vulnerable because he hadn't been performing to his best this season, which he can be blamed for.

You'd hope this kick in the teeth would actually spur him on to prove Pellegrini wrong, that he would play to prove him wrong, however I get the impression he'll be lacking motivation, and that he'll be actively seeking a summer move away from City. A shame but, despite having promise when he arrived, it simply hasn't worked out for Jovetic at City and it's probably time to cut our losses and bring in some decent money for him, and a decent replacement.

He also has been played out of position. He is not a striker. Full Stop.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.