players too...........

moomba said:
mackenzie said:
He also had a clear agenda on where he was and what he had to do.

Does Hughes not have?

Not really no. He had an agenda pre September 1 and then it changed. The transitional period in this Club is something that no Manager has had.

mackenzie said:
Not really no. He had an agenda pre September 1 and then it changed. The transitional period in this Club is something that no Manager has had.

I don't think the short term agenda and expectations have changed at all.

Certainly the long term has, but that shouldn't have had any effect on the way he has gone about his business.

In some ways he's got the hardest job around, in others it's the easiest. But if he can't cope with this then god help us.

moomba said:
mackenzie said:

I don't think the short term agenda and expectations have changed at all.

Certainly the long term has, but that shouldn't have had any effect on the way he has gone about his business.

In some ways he's got the hardest job around, in others it's the easiest. But if he can't cope with this then god help us.

Am interested as to why you see it as the hardest job around Moomba.

I don't agree with it being the easiest. This has been a surreal time at City and I would defy any Manager to really get a grip with the goings on in such a short time.

moomba said:
Trevski said:
You can’t make a silk purse from a sow’s ear.

Sven made a 9th place purse from the same sows ear minus Robinho, SWP, Kompany, Jo etc.

This is as may be, but the fact is that we have half a team of good players, who will put in a shift and have the quality to produce an end product. Until we address this we will struggle as we lack quality in key areas -at centre back and at centre forward. It is at the two ends of the pitch that matches are won and lost.
Sven's success came about initially from not conceding many goals, which led to a number of fairly lucky home wins before Christmas (B'ham, Reading, spring to mind). Once the defence started to leak goals the deficiencies in the rest of the team were exposed in the second half of last season. These problems are still there today, are not of Hughes making and IMO can be resolved only by a change in personnel. To that end Upson would be a good start, along with an new midfielder which would then allow Kompany to drop back into centre half where he has looked impressive.

mackenzie said:

I don't think we can afford a slow climb to the top, while we have Robinho we have a great opportunity to be seen as a club that top players want to play for. Robinho isn't going to hang around forever so I think we really need to be pushing for champions league places in the next 2-3 seasons.

If we don't make Europe this year I will see it as a huge missed opportunity, and I suspect the owners will feel the same. We need to be at least in the UEFA cup next season to attract the type of players the owners will want, so the pressure on Hughes to perform from the outset is very high.

I don't agree with it being the easiest. This has been a surreal time at City and I would defy any Manager to really get a grip with the goings on in such a short time.

I bet Tony Mowbray would have liked £80m to spend in the summer.

moomba said:
mackenzie said:

I don't think we can afford a slow climb to the top, while we have Robinho we have a great opportunity to be seen as a club that top players want to play for. Robinho isn't going to hang around forever so I think we really need to be pushing for champions league places in the next 2-3 seasons.

If we don't make Europe this year I will see it as a huge missed opportunity, and I suspect the owners will feel the same. We need to be at least in the UEFA cup next season to attract the type of players the owners will want, so the pressure on Hughes to perform from the outset is very high.

I bet Tony Mowbray would have liked £80m to spend in the summer.

You didn't really address the thought that it could be the "hardest" job Moomba.

The reason I think it the hardest is that within weeks the Club went from nothing to Global Mega Spending Money Merchants. We had a Manager that was there before the money and suddenly found himself in charge of a whole different ball game.

Now, a few months on and he isn't doing a great job. I will admit that. But the truth is that he brought in some very good players and has had a hard time adjusting to some who were there before. Hughes never had a problem with players before, so who's fault that is I am not sure.

I still think that Hughes is the type of Manager who can be good. Maybe only one that can do it with HIS players.

I don't think that all this is his fault.

mackenzie said:
You didn't really address the thought that it could be the "hardest" job Moomba.

I thought I did. Basically becuase of our situation, becuase we have Robinho here and that gives a great platform to get other players we can't display the same patience that we otherwise might have. I think even if he keeps his job, and we finish just outside UEFA Cup place we'll need to make the change. Without the UEFA Cup attraction (OK it's only a mild attraction) we'll need to look for other reasons for top players to come to us. One of those reasons will be a well known, proven top quality manager.

In short, even if things get better I think he is always going to be under pressure to succeed. And if he passes that test, the pressure will be on to take us into top 4, and then top 2 and then champs league finals etc.

I still think that Hughes is the type of Manager who can be good. Maybe only one that can do it with HIS players.

In my book, that makes him unsuitable for the job long term.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.