players who city came close to signing

neil jung said:
Dyed Petya said:
There's a truth that we wanted Dalglish and ended up with Channon, I believe. However, I don't think it's quite as simple as that we simply thought Channon was better.

Liverpool - who'd just sold Keegan to Hamburg for a record GBP 500K - outbid us. They paid GBP 440K for Dalglish, when the previous record between two British clubs stood at GBP 350K. We couldn't or wouldn't spend that amount and so went for Channon instead, who cost 'only' GBP 300K (still a very big wedge by market standards in 1977).
Yet we happily paid £350,000 for Paul Futcher. The mind boggles with City sometimes.

That was a year later, and in mitigation the transfer market explosion of the late seventies had just started to get under way in that year. City also had enjoyed a second season of 40,000 plus average gates, also, proving that the increase in matchday support from 1976/7 wasn't just a flash in the pan, so Swales maybe0 felt more secure in being able to rely on income from big gates to pay big fees.

But whatever excuses you try and make, you're absolutely right. We got well and truly mugged by Luton over Paul Futcher!

El Boy Wonder said:
Nathan Tyson

When i think what could have been, halcyon days

I remember that, circa 2005, from Wycombe? Think he's at Forest now. I remember reading the transfer speculation on the MEN website, my how the quality of player we've been linked with has changed.

Still can't believe we bought Dickov twice!

i remember the sunday pink said we were in for mark hughes when he was leaving chelsea. Wasnt too keen on the idea...blackburn he went to?

Dyed Petya said:
mancunial said:
bookie tried to sign dalglish but swalsie said channon was a better option and he likes horse racing? another was ian wright but city wouldn,t up the fee by 100 thousand, geoff thomas (city fan by the way) said i would run all the way to maine road but must have stopped for a brew at wolves? not forgetting the big one the george best but city fans wouldn,t wear it.

To be fair (see my post above), Swales thought Channon was a better option because Liverpool, with the mopney banked from selling Keegan for a record fee, took the bidding for Dalglish a considerable distance beyond the then record fee between British clubs. I doubt even he thought Channon was a better option per se.

With regard to Best, maybe others know better, but the story I recall hearing was that Mal wanted to sign him in 1971/2, when George was starting to fall out with the United hierarchy in a big way. Allison was looking for a 'name' player to help boost City's appeal and close the gap between our crowds and United. The story was that Mal and Best were both keen, but United decided that they couldn't allow the deal to happen because they feared the backlash from their own fans, rather than it being anything to do with City and our supporters. So we ended up with Rodney Marsh as our crowd pleaser instead.

During his heyday, away from football... George Best spent a lot of time with City players. many will know that his greatest friend was Mike Summerbee.. and Buzzer liked to party!!!
So I think it was very likely that City would have signed him if united had agreed; and he would have had a new lease of life at maine Road.. one of the true greats

Didn't we almost come close to signing former Real Madrid and Liverpool midfield dynamo Steve McManaman, but instead end up getting some gobby streak of piss who did fook all for 2 seasons except stand around pointing at other players and generally barking orders around until he inevitably got subbed off, whilst accepting a handsome wage for his troubles at a time when the Club could ill afford to pay such wages.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.