Players who might improve us

Not sure Dias can push forward (Gvardiol?) and I’m not sure Frimpong currently has the physique to compete defensively in the way Walker can. If we did go for him, it might be an idea to play him for his attacking abilities and then see how he copes if we transition.
With his pace he just needs to disrupt the attacker until we can get bodies back, doesn’t need to be a huge defensive threat; Walker’s defensive numbers aren’t actually that great but you’d still say he’s a top RB, it’s just how our system works.

We have so much possession his strengths more than make up for his lack of physique. He’s so versatile on the right he could play winger, RWB, RB or tuck inside.

Plus if he’s got a release clause around 30mil like rumoured, it’s a no-brainer. I think Liverpool will snap him up if Alonso ends up going there.

Not many great RBs on the market at the moment, but Elias Jelert was brilliant last night. Only 20yo and did very well against Doku. Very quick, defensively solid and seems to have a bit of that Zaba gene
Highlighted him during the game on the match thread. He also played well against us in the 0-0 back in November 2022. Quite like him for his versatility (he played on the left last night, too), but I’m not sure he’s 1.78m as that would make his the same height as Walker.

What is increasingly apparent is that teams are quite content to leave Ake, Gvardiol, and Walker in possession, as they know they just don’t have the creative capabilities to open defences.

Highlighted him during the game on the match thread. He also played well against us in the 0-0 back in November 2022. Quite like him for his versatility (he played on the left last night, too), but I’m not sure he’s 1.78m as that would make his the same height as Walker.

What is increasingly apparent is that teams are quite content to leave Ake, Gvardiol, and Walker in possession, as they know they just don’t have the creative capabilities to open defences.
I reckon Josko has that capability, so our rivals should be careful with what they wish for. I have seen him do that for Croatia/Leipzig. Once he fully understands the City way and starts playing to his full potential, the sky is the limit. I reckon we will replace Kyle with a more technical ball-playing defender as well, so it will no issue in the future.

I reckon Josko has that capability, so our rivals should be careful with what they wish for. I have seen him do that for Croatia/Leipzig. Once he fully understands the City way and starts playing to his full potential, the sky is the limit. I reckon we will replace Kyle with a more technical ball-playing defender as well, so it will no issue in the future.
They've all proven capable of the occasional flash of attacking brilliance this season (e.g. Ake against Liverpool, Gvardiol against Leipzig, and Walker against Newcastle), yet in all of those examples, the defensive shape of the opposition had disintegrated. When faced with a cohesive shape, the fullbacks' job is reduced to one of recycling. Would love us to unearth two players with the attacking attributes of Marcelo, but finding such players is extremely difficult.

Shouldn’t you be worried when a player is meant to be one of the best in his position on the world from a young age but only shows form at 28 having been let go on a free

Terrible injuries all his career. He's only really been able to put a full season together the last few years. He tore his ACL at 17 and had loads of issues at Benfica.

We were very interested him when he was younger but he could never string 5 games together for a few years.

Shouldn’t you be worried when a player is meant to be one of the best in his position on the world from a young age but only shows form at 28 having been let go on a free
Leaving on a free no longer means being let go. Players are willing to gamble on not getting injured in their last season and then having the freedom to pick and choose where they want to go. These are true free agents.

Gundo left as a free agent. Mbappe is a pending free agent. PSG are certainly not letting him go...

Josko's ability to pass, meaning his ability to make every sort of pass with an unlimited range, is as good as any pure defender in football, and he just turned 22. If people are actually watching closely they'll see many examples of this ability whenever he plays...he's playing in an unfamiliar role in an unfamiliar league and personally I am ecstatic that we brought him in...People need to remember that over the first half of the season practically everyone he's been matched up against is someone he's seeing for the first time...Love having this player at City...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.