Players you wished had stayed longer

SWP, Michael Johnson and Sturridge - the three best players I’ve seen come through our academy (and three of the most talented players overall) who would all fit seamlessly into our team now.

Johnson was the best midfielder England have produced this century - he was fucking phenomenal for his age, and Gerrard would be 50 Caps lighter if MJ hadn’t been ravaged by mental health issues.

Sturridge at his peak at Liverpool was lethal; he ultimately left us because we were stockpiling expensive players in his position. Mancini openly rated him, and would have done more with him than Hughes.

When you factor in the likes of Ireland, Richards, Schmeichel etc also emerging within that period of about 3 years, we actually produced our own - I’d argue even more collectively talented - cLaSs oF 92. The only difference is we didn’t have a spine of experienced quality to supplement them and aid their integration/development.

Jim Cassell is a City legend - under him Platt Lane was a Premier League footballer factory; exiling him was one of the most moronic decisions the club has made.

Tommy Hutchison and Frank Lampard. What a player, Hutch turned out to be an inspired signing by Bond. In the Gerrard / Lampard debates I always fell on the Gerrard side until I saw Frank play for us. He was such an intelligent and sublime player to watch

Haven't read the previous 24 pages so it's probably the umpteenth time someone has said Edin Dzeko.

Was gutted when Trevor Francis left, replaced him with David Cross who tbf had a decent scoring record. We got relegated that season, but at least the main stand had a nice new roof. No criticism of Alex and I was only young but have wondered if we might have escaped relegation if Corrigan hadnt left during that season.
Fast forward a few years and I was disappointed when Moulden left, but he didnt do too much afterwards. Was also disappointed when Tommy Caton left.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.