Pointless Comparison no. 1 - City and Spurs last night

Nicholas van Whatsisface

I put a similar post in another thread earlier, but the thread had moved onto a different topic by the time I'd actually managed to finish the post, so apologies if it sounds familiar, but I wanted to make a point about last night's games.

Any road - I feel there seems to be lot of doom and gloom on here today, and much of it has come from comparing Spurs' game against Milan last night with ours against Aris, from which many Blues seem to have drawn the conclusion that Spurs are amazing and that we are pretty crap, as evidenced by our conflicting fortunes in Europe last night. But I just don't see this as a valid comparison.

We played a team who set up like they were scared to death of us - they had 10 men behind the ball for large parts of the game, and we struggled to break them down (as we often have this season when teams approach us in this way). Clearly this is a problem we need to rectify, but its a very different situation to that which faced Spurs last night.

Spurs played Milan - one of the giants of European football - at the San Siro. Milan were clearly not scared of Spurs (and perhaps they should have been), therefore they set up entirely differently to Aris. They were confident of being able to get a result, and their play was dictated accordingly. Spurs had far more space to put attacks together playing against a far more open and less defensive set-up than that which we were faced with last night.

Its hardly surprising that they looked better than us last night, as the way Milan set up meant Spurs had the space to play their game, to string passes together and to pose an attacking force. We had to break through a stubborn defence who stifled any creativity, which we were unable to do.

I believe we would have looked much better playing against Milan as they set up last night, and Spurs would have looked much worse playing against Aris, as one team set out to try and attack their opponent, whilst the other had no such game plan in mind.

A further point is motivation. Whilst all players should be motivated for all games, as this is what they are paid to do, I think even the most belligerent of fans would concede that certain games will capture the players' imagination and get them pumped up more than others.

We had Champion's League winners in Tevez, Yaya and Balo, a World Cup winner in Silva, League winners in Dzeko, Kolo and SWP all playing last night. Their motivation for an away fixture against Aris will have been less than if they were playing Milan at the San Siro - and I'm afriad anyone who claims otherwise is probably lying to themselves just a little bit. Its human nature, and we can't deny it, as much as it may frustrate us.

Spurs' team is made up of players who haven't won a huge amount, or played at the top level. Their line up last night was: Gomes; Corluka, Dawson, Gallas, Assou-Ekotto; Lennon, Palacios, Sandro, Pienaar; Van der Vaart; Crouch. Apart from Gallas, Van der Vaart and Crouch, there isn't anyone there who has even played in the Champion's League before (to my knowledge) - maybe Gomes and Pienaar, but not to a high level like the last 16 in a knockout against Milan.

A lot of those players have been plucked from small sides, and will have been playing in one of the biggest games in their careers last night. The same cannot be said for our players. For that reason, I think its impossible to rule out the motivation factor as being of importance in relation to the two results.

Sorry for the long post, but I've been frustrated by the persistent comparisons between the two games on here since last night, which I feel is disingenuous at best, and is completely pointless and unhelpful in terms of actually assessing the merits and limitations of our two teams.

The key thing is spurs goal was scored on the counter attack and wasnt a result of them outplaying milan with fancy football. I think city would have been able to open up milan yesterday as they were a lot more open than aris.

Cant wait to play spurs at home and dispell this myth that their miles better than us

The one main thing we can compare is Spuds are really good at home and away.

And we are good at home and fukin gash away from home.

Sleeping_Easy said:
The key thing is spurs goal was scored on the counter attack and wasnt a result of them outplaying milan with fancy football. I think city would have been able to open up milan yesterday as they were a lot more open than aris.

Cant wait to play spurs at home and dispell this myth that their miles better than us

Absolutely mate - I couldn't agree more.

We are an excellent side on the counter attack, and would have benefitted from the space Milan allowed Spurs last night.

Can't wait to play them at Eastlands - we're due a win against them at home, as they seem to have the Indian sign over us at our ground.

PaulPowre said:
The one main thing we can compare is Spuds are really good at home and away.

And we are good at home and fukin gash away from home.

You say that, but I remember more than a few times this season when Spurs have been criticised for simply failing to perform, especially away from home. They lost to Everton 2-0 and Bolton 4-2 particularly, and they were slated for essentially just letting the opposition team run all over them - in fact the comparisons weren't too dissimilar to criticisms of Hughes' City (good in attack, dire when they don't have possession). They can be very prone to simply failing to get the better of weaker teams, and their defence can just crumble when attacked. I seem to recall that their last three victories (1-0 v Blackburn, 2-1 v Bolton, 2-1 v Sunderland) were all games where they either scored the winner very, very late in the game or were literally hanging onto their points by the end, and in all of them they were being comprehensively outplayed by a weaker team in the second half. Not only that but if you look down their list of fixtures they've had a lot of games where they've scored the first goal and then proceeded to let in a goal themselves because they couldn't defend their lead.

I'm not convinced that Spurs are a better team than us. I think they can raise their game 100x better than we can, and I sorely wish we had that ability, but this season Spurs have had the kind of inability to look comfortable while ahead in a game which would make us City fans physically sick with worry. Also bear in mind that Spurs are the team which took until the 28th of December to record their second clean sheet of the season, and so far this season they've won a glorious three games by more than a two goal margin, and have so far not won a single game by a three goal margin.

Spurs at the current moment are much better than us and no amount of blue bias is gonna change my mind. If we all thought logically we'd all agree that we wouldn't beat AC Milan without Tevez and Silva.

sibierski express said:
Spurs at the current moment are much better than us and no amount of blue bias is gonna change my mind. If we all thought logically we'd all agree that we wouldn't beat AC Milan without Tevez and Silva.

I don't I agree with you about us not beating Milan, for the reasons in my post above, but anyway - why would we have to try and beat them without Tevez and Silva? Am I missing something?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.