Political relations between UK-EU

where have all the workers gone? Answer - back home never to return

Consequently people who are in work or looking for work can commend higher wages - much needed now because of the rise in inflation (which this will add fuel to I acknowledge that) due to Ukraine/Russia and the Corona thing. Yet whilst we were in the EU and subject to freedom of movement, wages were kept low. So Brexit was a good thing and when the Ukraine/Russia thing sorts itself out people might begin to see that, even if they didn't agree with it in 2016.

Consequently people who are in work or looking for work can commend higher wages - much needed now because of the rise in inflation (which this will add fuel to I acknowledge that) due to Ukraine/Russia and the Corona thing. Yet whilst we were in the EU and subject to freedom of movement, wages were kept low. So Brexit was a good thing and when the Ukraine/Russia thing sorts itself out people might begin to see that, even if they didn't agree with it in 2016.
Problem is, is that if wages go up, then so do prices.

Problem is, is that if wages go up, then so do prices.
Yes, I did put that in brackets as I'd heard it on the radio, but what is better or worse: high inflation and wages stagnant or high inflation and high wage inflation too? I would argue that the latter is better & is what is happening now. This cost of living crisis is mainly a result of the pandemic (thanks China) and the war in Eastern Europe (thanks Putin) so it can't be laid at the door of Dominic Cummings who masterminded the Brexit referendum shock result.

Last edited:
Yes, I did put that in brackets as I'd heard it on the radio, but what is better or worse: high inflation and wages stagnant or high inflation and high wage inflation too? I would argue that the latter better & is what is happening now. This cost of living crisis is mainly a result of the pandemic (thanks China) and the war in Eastern Europe (thanks Putin) so it can't be laid at the door of Dominic Cummings who masterminded the Brexit referendum shock result.
We went down this road quite a few years ago and it led to disaster. Wages always lead inflation. It took years of regulated wage regulation to get inflation down. Some of us well remember those awful days.

The BoE is happy for you to work longer and harder but not to request more money for it because its inflationary.

Pre-Brexit vote we had pretty much full employment with record numbers in work and record low unemployment rates. Post Brexit we now have more vacancies than we have unemployed - almost unique - but remember ever shift not worked every day with no employee is lost productivity to an economy with legendary low productivity rates and we cannot fill those vacancies because of Brexit - people left and now can't get back into the UK. You could argue that the unemployed should fill those spaces however it depends on where they are - the highest unemployment rate in the UK - the highest number of vacancies in the UK is in the City of Westminster. The second thing is qualifications - if you are a lad who just lost his job in a chicken processing plant in Sunderland you cannot apply for the job as a PA in the City of Westminster,

1652804443768.png

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.