Political relations between UK-EU

And for once a sensible Govt response to the vaccine row...

UK Govt spox on EU-AstraZeneca row latest. 'We remain confident the supply of vaccine to the UK will not be disrupted. This pandemic is a global challenge and international collaboration on vaccine development and production continues to be an integral part of our response.' @NGutteridge

I’m just saying there’s some valid reasoning and entitlement behind it. AstraZeneca have clearly screwed up, particularly in their contracts, and I can’t imagine Johnson will be very happy with some of the detail being shared last night by AZ either.
I don’t doubt that for a second and I think we both agree with what’s going on, where we slightly differ is I think the EU are acting more unethical than you do, even though you don’t necessarily agree with their threats yourself.

If this was a normal business transaction over footwear, for example, I wouldn’t give two shiny shits and would be criticising the supplier too, however this is literally a matter of life and death and their actions could result in the lives of innocent Brits, when the UK hasn’t actually done anything wrong here, we’ve just moved quicker.

I think as well it’s obvious the EU would have been in a better position if they’d have moved quicker and we would be in a slightly worse place, with them getting some of that initial supply that came to us, more evenly spread.

They need a distraction from the rotting fish and meat that can't be exported, and all the eBay and Amazon surcharges for stuff bought from EU countries.
Vaccines being potentially blocked from exporting to the UK isn’t a distraction, with all due respect, it’s a matter of life and death and more important than rotting fish.

Vaccines being potentially blocked from exporting to the UK isn’t a distraction, with all due respect, it’s a matter of life and death and more important than rotting fish.
It certainly has the potential to further sour relations between ourselves and the EU if both parties stop co-operating and it ends up with either us, the EU or both taking our ball home. It needs some adult discussions and compromise from all parties for an equitable solution. In 3 months this will be sorted but the rotting fish and pigs that can't travel are issues that are more relevant to this thread. The vaccine issues are fuck all to do with our relationship with the EU unless either party makes it so, and are more relevant to the Covid political thread.

I don’t doubt that for a second and I think we both agree with what’s going on, where we slightly differ is I think the EU are acting more unethical than you do, even though you don’t necessarily agree with their threats yourself.

If this was a normal business transaction over footwear, for example, I wouldn’t give two shiny shits and would be criticising the supplier too, however this is literally a matter of life and death and their actions could result in the lives of innocent Brits, when the UK hasn’t actually done anything wrong here, we’ve just moved quicker.

I think as well it’s obvious the EU would have been in a better position if they’d have moved quicker and we would be in a slightly worse place, with them getting some of that initial supply that came to us, more evenly spread.

No, I do think they’re acting unethically. I think AstraZeneca did too though if they signed the contract they did with the Uk and didn’t make others aware of some of it at the time they subsequently signed theirs.

It’s a matter of life and death for people in the EU too remember.

It certainly has the potential to further sour relations between ourselves and the EU if both parties stop co-operating and it ends up with either us, the EU or both taking our ball home. It needs some adult discussions and compromise from all parties for an equitable solution. In 3 months this will be sorted but the rotting fish and pigs that can't travel are issues that are more relevant to this thread. The vaccine issues are fuck all to do with our relationship with the EU unless either party makes it so, and are more relevant to the Covid political thread.
That’s just false, the UK government are staying out of it as much as possible, the war of words is between the CEO of AZ and the EU.

I am not saying vaccine issues are “fuck all” to do with our EU relationship, but the EU is engaging in a policy, off the back of their cock up, that could harm our citizens... I am saying it could potentially damage our relationship if they go through with it.

Also, it’s the first time I’ve been really disappointed in them, usually they’re much better than this.

The big bad EU bogeyman crap from leave has always been bollocks imo but this is actually the first time they’ve started to act like it towards us.

No, I do think they’re acting unethically. I think AstraZeneca did too though if they signed the contract they did with the Uk and didn’t make others aware of some of it at the time they subsequently signed theirs.

It’s a matter of life and death for people in the EU too remember.
Absolutely agree with this.

AZ do have a duty to supply them with what they have paid for and everyday they don’t someone else dies, the point for me is the EU shouldn’t take it out on the British population as they are partly to blame for being slow to approve.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.