Political relations between UK-EU

The level of jingoism is telling.

"British" Oxford vaccine team - 4 of the lead 6 are not British
  • Director of Jenner institute - IRISH
  • Research Scientist – Team Head FRENCH
  • Clinical scientist - AMERICAN (I think)
  • Associate professor - AUSTRALIA
Imagine disliking your own country that much you think being proud of world changing vaccine a British institution has developed ... and being pissed off another country (well trading bloc) is trying to stop people in your country benefiting, out of spite, is jingoistic.

Pathetic, Vic, but not unexpected.

As for your team there:

Project Leader Professor Sarah Gilbert - Kettering Born and very much English

Professor Adrian Hill - Irish and been in the UK since 1982

Professor Andrew Pollard who is Director of Oxford Vaccine Group and has hands on lead with Hill, under Gilbert’s project leadership - English

Dr Alexander Douglas - British (I think?)

Regardless. They’re all heroes and I don’t care where they came from, obviously you do, but it proves that we have world leading universities and research.

That’s something to be proud of, even if you hate your country of birth.

Did the UK pay Astrazeneca upfront for vaccines like the EU did?

Apart from paying for vaccines, I heard that the EU put in a billion euro for their research (and the USA a billion dollars) and the UK put in £65 million. Anyone got any more accurate figures?

Yes, the uk paid up front. All of them did as part of their contracts for future vaccines - they paid up front to assist with research and manufacture up scaling. In terms of figures, the 65m was additional funding on top of an initial 85m for the uk. The US was around a billion and the EU around 380m. They got more too from CEPI so those would have contributed more indirectly too.

Bear in mind they all ordered different amounts of doses with that though.

So that's the largest (single) national source of funding is from the UK, with 28 published calls. Europe collectively has published 127 calls. And no indication there of the value of any funding awarded.
Just admit you were wrong?

The UK, Canada and the US were in the top bracket, the rest of Europe the one below.

The level of jingoism is telling.

"British" Oxford vaccine team - 4 of the lead 6 are not British
  • Director of Jenner institute - IRISH
  • Research Scientist – Team Head FRENCH
  • Clinical scientist - AMERICAN (I think)
  • Associate professor - AUSTRALIA

Not sure what point you’re trying to make but the lead scientists for the Oxford COVID-19 vaccine team are :

Prof Sarah Gilbert, Prof Andrew Pollard, Prof Teresa Lambe, Dr Sandy Douglas, Prof Catherine Green and Prof Adrian Hill.

4 British / 2 Irish

Imagine disliking your own country that much you think being proud of world changing vaccine a British institution has developed ... and being pissed off another country (well trading bloc) is trying to stop people in your country benefiting, out of spite, is jingoistic.

Pathetic, Vic, but not unexpected.

As for your team there:

Project Leader Professor Sarah Gilbert - Kettering Born and very much English

Professor Adrian Hill - Irish and been in the UK since 1982

Professor Andrew Pollard who is Director of Oxford Vaccine Group and has hands on lead with Hill, under Gilbert’s project leadership - English

Dr Alexander Douglas - British (I think?)

Regardless. They’re all heroes and I don’t care where they came from, obviously you do, but it proves that we have world leading universities and research.

That’s something to be proud of, even if you hate your country of birth.
Pathetic isn’t it!

So let me get this right. A British university developed a vaccine, with the British contributing the most to its development. Said vaccine is being manufactured by a half British company with most of it coming from a British manufacturing site. The British government then agreed and paid for a certain amount of vaccine, before it had even been approved for use. Yet the EU wants to bully their way into the supply even though they put in an order 3 months after the British and have yet to approve its use.

I am pro EU but they can go fuck themselves in this instance.
Yes mate, absolutely well and truly spot on.

We should pin this post to the top of every page.

For the record I voted remain too and would do again but the EU can shove off this week.

Not sure what point you’re trying to make but the lead scientists for the Oxford COVID-19 vaccine team are :

Prof Sarah Gilbert, Prof Andrew Pollard, Prof Teresa Lambe, Dr Sandy Douglas, Prof Catherine Green and Prof Adrian Hill.

4 British / 2 Irish
It’s just Vic up to his usual bollocks.

He tried saying the UK was low down on the investment into research in the last thread.

He doesn’t like Britain.

Yes mate, absolutely well and truly spot on.

We should pin this post to the top of every page.

For the record I voted remain too and would do again but the EU can shove off this week.
The EU are basically seeing if there is anything they could ever do to make vic stop his EU obsession.
This proves Vic can’t actually come to criticise them over anything.
It’s as excruciating to see as a Matt Hancock interview.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.