Political relations between UK-EU

It’ll be springing it so late and also AZ saying about the agreement they signed with the Uk that prioritised the vaccines produced here to us - they should have told the EU that when they signed the contract with them if it was potentially going to cause this impact to some but not others.
They did the right thing - they gave the EU their commitment to 'best efforts/endeavours' - so they are likely in the right and the EU - not so

Nope - I am not doing anything of the sort......

I am pointing out that the pro-EU reporting 'triumphs' : "best efforts"

being secured in the contract = the EU are in a strong position;-)

Which is the journalistic assumption I was talking about, otherwise you’d be pointing out the other things they’re saying about wanting to publicise the contract for that very reason.

If you’re just arguing that journalists perception rather than the actual issue, fair enough.

They did the right thing - they gave the EU their commitment to 'best efforts/endeavours' - so they are likely in the right and the EU - not so

Ah so you are assuming that’s the actual position then?

I retract my previous post!

Which is the journalistic assumption I was talking about, otherwise you’d be pointing out the other things they’re saying about wanting to publicise the contract for that very reason.

If you’re just arguing that journalists perception rather than the actual issue, fair enough.
Nope - you just have this wrong I am afraid

I am simply stating clearly that the EU seems to be presenting that it is in the right because it has a contract committing the company to clauses of "best efforts/endeavours"

This is typical in major contracts and is more often a get-out for the supplier

I was pointing out that Bob's smugness because of this just demonstrates a lack of real world experience

This articles explains the reality - you are better off ignoring the distraction fluff

MAGGIE PAGANO: Shame of the Brussels bullies | This is Money

Ah so you are assuming that’s the actual position then?

I retract my previous post!

Both parties are being clear that the contract includes a best efforts/endeavour clause - so.......

Nope - just wrong again - I am not assuming anything - just being factual

Not understanding why you are confusing yourself

I have better things to do

Imagine disliking your own country that much you think being proud of world changing vaccine a British institution has developed ... and being pissed off another country (well trading bloc) is trying to stop people in your country benefiting, out of spite, is jingoistic.

Pathetic, Vic, but not unexpected.

As for your team there:

Project Leader Professor Sarah Gilbert - Kettering Born and very much English

Professor Adrian Hill - Irish and been in the UK since 1982

Professor Andrew Pollard who is Director of Oxford Vaccine Group and has hands on lead with Hill, under Gilbert’s project leadership - English

Dr Alexander Douglas - British (I think?)

Regardless. They’re all heroes and I don’t care where they came from, obviously you do, but it proves that we have world leading universities and research.

That’s something to be proud of, even if you hate your country of birth.
No I just hate jingoism.

Vs other countries the UK contributed more than most though, including EU nations.
Have you got figures for contributions, or just the number of offers of funding?

One offer of £1million would be better than 9 offers of £100,000.

So the same as the UK manufacturing firstly for the UK chain which as been stated both by AZ and the UK goverment. An agreement set up before the EU one.
Surely the EU does not have the right to demand the breaking of someone elses contract to resolve their own broken contract.
What if there is another production issue in 3 months.
Does the next country who were expecting their delivery to start then say production for the EU should go to them ?
Where does it end.
It's a bit like The Producers. Sell 10% of something to a hundred people. Why should a few of the people get all their 10% of what they contracted to buy? No excuse for anyone to go on a rant about pride in Britain. So far as I can see, long-term, if you're an overseas customer would you contract with a British firm to buy a scarce product if you thought they'd take your money then give preference to their British customers?

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.