Porto (A) - CL | Post-Match Thread

Keeper made an excellent save low to his near post from bernard...after being given the eyes...top reaction save

No team in the history of ever has solved the bus parking. There's too many players in the box to make it viable. Your best bets are to have a solid defence, play your normal game and then hope your attackers have a good day. Or get lucky.

The only two unique ways you can reasonably get at teams who sit ridiculously deep is to cram excess numbers in the box or sit deep and hope to draw them out. The problem is though the former leaves you vulnerable to counters which teams are better than ever at, and the latter doesn't work because teams don't take the bait anymore (eg FA Cup semi final).

Truth is, there are plenty of times where we play against packed defences and are only let down by bad finishing or sloppy play. Tactically it's less of an issue than people think. We keep teams pinned back, make high turnovers, and generally create chances.

Just tonight, Sterling and Torres could have scored from that one chance. Torres could have scored had he not been offside and finished better for that counter. Dias and Torres could have scored a chance had it not been for comedy goalscoring and great keeping. Sterling had one off the line. Garcia fluffed two chances. Jesus had a goal narrowly ruled out. He also missed a header. That's 8 great chances, enough to validate the tactics. I've probably missed some too.

Edit: Sterling was second to a great Fern pass just before he had one off of the line. That's 9.
Hard to argue with that.

I just feel it is getting to a point where we should not have to break down our opponents but I don’t think pep thinks like that. What we are doing is clearly not working, we cannot break down every opposition
We can get easier opportunities on transitions. If we try breaking down opposition for like 30 minutes and it is not working, feel like we should just give them the ball and wait for transitions. Opponents are not pressing us at the back at all, they just stay disciplined in their low block. We have to find a way to get transitions or quick attacks.
Pep is a stubborn man that believes in his way. I still trust him but our opponents are not changing anything so it is up to us to change something. Opponents are not trying to get the ball from us, they are waiting for their one opportunity that they would get.
Porto don’t have a good attack so they didn’t threaten us, but we would play other teams that we can’t break down and would have good counter.

Last edited:
No team in the history of ever has solved the bus parking. There's too many players in the box to make it viable. Your best bets are to have a solid defence, play your normal game and then hope your attackers have a good day. Or get lucky.......

I seem to remember a team with Dzeko, Aguero & Ballotelli did a decent job against QPR a few years ago?

I seem to remember a team with Dzeko, Aguero & Ballotelli did a decent job against QPR a few years ago?
Yes, many times that season in fact. We've broken down countless bus parking sides under Mancini, Pellegrini, and Guardiola.

We've also suffered from countless games against such sides over the years that parked the bus and we missed every chance and then they scored their one and only. That same side that beat QPR also famously lost to Sunderland 1-0, having had 20 shots, and did the exact same thing again under Pellegrini when we won the title, with 24 shots.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.