Post Match Thread: Barca vs City

We're not really here said:
You do know we played one of the top teams in the world don't you? We expect too much. We have been in this competition for a mere 4 years. They have reached the quarters for the past 8! Have some patience. We do need to rebuild but this club is still in it's infancy in regards to where it is going. We're not likely to win this competition for a number of years so stop with the doom.

Agreed, but it's the similarities to Burnely that bother me more

You do know we played one of the top teams in the world don't you? We expect too much. We have been in this competition for a mere 4 years. They have reached the quarters for the past 8! Have some patience. We do need to rebuild but this club is still in it's infancy in regards to where it is going. We're not likely to win this competition for a number of years so stop with the doom.
How many City fans expected anything tonight?

I didn't, and I don't see too much doom. Not as compared too normal

And PSG are close and have been for a couple of years. They got close in no time. We can do too.

We need 1-2 signings in the right places. We've already got 2-3 world class players and a couple who could be if they got their act together. Might be underestimating that.

It's the home leg I'm regretting. It was that fluke opener that Suarez got. We never seem to get much luck in this competiton

How many years are we going to say that before we figure out how to beat them? Or are we going to have to wait for them to go downhill? Not even beat them over two legs, just beat them in a game. We've figured out how to beat Bayern occasionally. And Chelsea always tend to give Barca a decent game (not to watch obviously), even when they're technically inferior. We have the same issues every time we play them, and we don't even seem to have figured out how to set up against them.

allan harper said:
Blue Haze said:
Glad I'm on a plane and couldn't see any of it. Terrible week.
My lass went into labour this afternoon, been in hospital all day, I've just got home and didn't see one minute of the match. I'm reading the threads to see how we did, who played well and who got sent off.

Congrats blue, if you have a lad you could do worse than call him Lionel. Absolutely imperious today, I'm pretty sure he nutmegged at least 3 of our lads (might be 4) while completely running the show. Amazing player.

ChicagoBlue said:
BigOscar said:
Proud of the effort from most of the lads, even if we are well short of Barca's quality. Best moments of the night other than Hart have to be Pellers showing Nasri and Yaya what he thought of them. He's finally had enough and I think most of us have as well. 3 or 4 aren't good enough, but those two lack something far more important than talent. Well done the others though, heads could have dropped but they didn't.

Both players are two peas in a pod.....arrogance beyond their current ability, and play if and when they feel like it. It is no wonder they are the best of friends in the squad.

City's team doesn't have enough guts, but then it also doesn't have the skill needed to compete at this level, either.

There are definitely players who would be in any squad in the world, but that small handful are not bring complemented by enough talent and graft around them.

Watching Rakitic run right past Yaya into 400m sq of open space on the right side of our box was absolutely infuriating. We get overloaded on the back post repeatedly by considerably lesser teams than Barca, but that is all about the midfielders (with the sole exception of Fernandinho) ALL thinking they are centre forwards!!

Our middle two, both at the back and in midfield get pulled in all directions by quality teams and players and we live by the skin of our teeth in almost every game. MDM has some tactical nous, but it isn't enough to cover up his weaknesses. VK plays like his marker has him magnetized....too tight or miles away from his, depending on the forward's choice of polarity at any particular time. He gets pulled so far out of position that he spends half the game scrambling.....but that is in no small part to the fact that he is overexposed by Yaya way too often.

We need to play 4-2-3-1, and the two need to be any two of Milner, Fernandinho, and Fernando...and it is clear that none of those three would get into ANY other top team's midfield. That says it all to me.

Without Hart, it would have been embarrassing. As it was, Agüero's penalty miss was the "Typical City" moment.....a chance to make something out of the game thrown away by a poor penalty, from a poor penalty taker, yet widely regarded as our best player....who hasn't shown up for 3/4 of the time since he came back from injury.

We are in need of help, and a deep overhaul is only a part of that help.
I'd say you're pretty much on the ball there.

Hart saved us from a hammering but Sergio's miss .............

We certainly showed some effort, and had we shown that effort in Prem games we wouldn't be looking over our shoulders at Arse, Dippers and rags.
And nobody can deny we were up against possibly the top club side in the world.
But we failed to score, and failed to make clear cut chances so the forwards couldn't have been great or weren't getting any service. And Joe was outstanding which sort of indicates the defence weren't up to much and weren't getting protection from midfield.
There was sufficient on show to indicate we have enough ability to finish second. But do we have the application?
I'd like to see us bust a gut and obliterate the Baggies on Saturday as we've got to show the rest we mean business. We don't want to go into an international break on a bad note.

With the exception of two or three,i was proud of the lads tonight.Sure we were outclassed for large periods but I thought,in the main,we showed character and effort - we certainly didn't embarrass ourselves.
Hart and Fernandinho were superb,Komps,other than the early cock up,was also much improved.I thought the 451 certainly served us better,maybe even more so if Fernando had started ahead of the invisible Yaya.

However,what is clear is our lack of overall quality against the elite sides,we need an injection of energy and creativity as this team has passed its peak - surgery is required.

If Messi was wearing a City shirt tonight instead of a Barca one i think we would have won.

Reading some of the so called "experts" opinions online tonight Barca are streets ahead of city. But I disagree - that one individual is so incredible he makes such a massive difference.

I think we had 13 attempts on goal. Imagine what we would have done with him.

I am not saying we need to buy a "Messi" - I'm just saying how much of a difference one player of his quality can make

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.