Pre-Match at the Co-op Live

Well the Arena is obviously new but the area has had the football stadium on its doorstep for 20 years now.

Off the top of my head I think there were about 8 or 9 pubs within a few minutes walk when it opened. Now there’s what, three?
Derby Arms( now a food takeaway) Grove Inn ( still open)
Victoria ( Now mini market/ tesco extra?)
Townley (Still open) Crossroads/Manchester Arms (demolished) Mary Ds (still open) , Cornershop (still open) Summerbees Bar (demolished) Bank of england
( been closed empty for years),
Mitchell Arms ( currently being refurbished, but not sure if a pub/bar) Bradford Inn (still.open). The Stadium/Cricketers ( converted to curry house ,then demolished)

Townley (Still open) Crossroads/Manchester Arms (demolished) Mary Ds (still open) , Cornershop (still open) Summerbees Bar (demolished) Bank of england
Mitchell Arms ( currently being refurbished, but not sure if a pub/bar) Bradford Inn (still.open). The Stadium/Cricketers ( converted to curry house ,then demolished)
The other Bradford too/Guvnors......demolished .....

not like Maine Road certainly so many boozers

It's just a change in society slightly off topic but from just before WW1 right up to the 70s they were building pubs at an unsustainable rate (they did the same with churches) prior to that sure they existed but not in that number, they were working under the assumption that a certain percentage of the population would visit pubs on a regular basis also people forget that the lunchtime trade used to be massive when lots of people had a couple of pints in their lunch break, then society changed, drink driving laws, workplaces unsurprisingly not happy with having halfcut workers, an expansion of the off trade etc
Yup, in the 70's 80's even 90's going to the pub at lunchtimes was common and almost universal on a Friday. I worked near the Shepherd's Boy in Oldham for a while and they used to do food on a Friday. The place was always busy. Sadly it closed in 2021, Covid finished it off.

Well the Arena is obviously new but the area has had the football stadium on its doorstep for 20 years now.

Off the top of my head I think there were about 8 or 9 pubs within a few minutes walk when it opened. Now there’s what, three?
Gone
The Gibraltar/The Kippax
Britannia Inn/Maine Road
The Queen Victoria/Eastlands Bar
The Church Inn/Blue Moon
The Crossroads/The Manchester
The Bradford/Guvnors/Champagne Charlie’s
Cricketers/The Stadium
Bank of England
The River
Seven Stars
The Mitchell Arms
The King’s Head
The Spanking Roger
The Legh Arms
The Birch
The Derby Arms
The Bridge Inn
The Grey Mare
Sir Humphrey Chetham

Still there
Hetheringtons
The Corner Shop
The Townley
Mary D’s
The Grove
The Bradford (previousky known as the Little Bradford when the proper Bradford was open)

The lack of pubs around the ground is the worst thing about the Etihad.

Last edited:
Lots of new bars in Ancoats, like Cask, have opened though. Also that one near New Islington tram stop. These are all easy access to the ground

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.