Pre season games compared to other clubs

We started a bit slow last year, peaked a wee bit early, and then pulled it in at the end. Such a tough thing to get right over 9 months, and this year all thrown up in the air by an Xmas world cup!
Folk say we peaked too early but the 2 games Liverpool had in hand made it look like we were running away with it as we were 14 clear. I always said at the time we were only 8 points clear and we dropped 7 (Spurs home, Palace and Saints away)
It was close after that as we know..... and thankfully were crowned champions

Anyone else concerned about our pre season schedule?
We have 3 games booked - two in the US (Green Bay and Houston) and the Community Shield v Liverpool.

Looking at this list here of other club's schedules, most have 5 and Liverpool and the rags have 6.
I'm hoping at least 2 more will be fitted along the way this month.
I’d imagine a game between the 25 players we have at our disposal, is harder than most of the games we could have as a friendly

Folk say we peaked too early but the 2 games Liverpool had in hand made it look like we were running away with it as we were 14 clear. I always said at the time we were only 8 points clear and we dropped 7 (Spurs home, Palace and Saints away)
Yeah all fair points.

I think generally the importance of pre season has changed. Players are athletes now with access to club sourced or personally sourced nutrition and fitness experts. Its not like the old days where you got bladdered in spain for a month and had to run up hills for 4 weeks to get the weight off.

Maybe 3 games is a bit light for us this year given the change in personnel, but largely our pattern of play is set and has been for several years

I think we were also very light in terms of numbers by the end of the season. We had one for CB and Walker was also out. We had to play a 38 year old DM at CB.

I agree about the 14 point lead. It was anything but. Liverpool had a stretch of easily winnable games and they did that. We were very unfortunate away at Palace and should have won comfortably and were much better than Liverpool too.

Hardly much time off this summer, after a grueling few years... ideal not to have too many friendlies. It's a shame there is no Oldham or Rochdale away etc. City could send an EDS team and just call it a senior squad. In the modern era, we lack connection to supporting local clubs who need gate money and big name draws

I have no issue with the players getting extra rest. They’ve hardly had a break for years and there’s a World Cup in the middle of the season they have to play as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.