Premier League clubs vote against 5 subs per match in 20/21

Gareth Barry Conlon

Next season will allow 5 Subs in the PL.

Good for fringe players but bad news for letting the game flow.

Edit: PL not confirmed yet but they can if they choose to. So no doubt they will.

Next season will allow 5 Subs in the PL.

Good for fringe players but bad news for letting the game flow.

Edit: PL not confirmed yet but they can if they choose to. So no doubt they will.

This is absolutely vital to clubs like us who compete on all fronts and have a squad that's almost 100% internationals.

Hopefully great for youth development too.

I think the 5 subs rule is good overall. There’s no denying the bigger squads gain an advantage and we stand to gain more than anybody but trying to put that natural bias for it aside for a second there’s some big advantages to this.

The season is going to be much more condensed than usual with hardly any let up in number of games to compensate and a rescheduled Euros at the end of it too. last Christmas every single manager was moaning about not enough rest for the players is resulting in more and more injuries, well this new rule helps in that regard, being able to give rest to more players is going to dramatically reduce the number of injuries, far more injuries occur in the last 30 minutes due to fatigue than the first 60.

Not only that, the number of youngsters we see coming through is going to be significantly higher, the squad limits are going to remain the same size so there’s more scope for academy players making the bench and in turn getting some game time. that’s also going to help combat this trend of foreign clubs looking to poach academy players from this country and offer them game time, far less likely to lose talent when they’re regularly making the bench and getting some playing time.

I’m of course assuming the 9 man bench will remain too, otherwise you lose one of the key positives from this. I’ve always thought it was stupid to limit the number of player on the bench anyway, what’s the point in a 25 man squad if you can only name 18 to potentially play every week? other leagues let you fill your bench with an entire team of players, that rule should be changed regardless of keeping the five subs or not.

The only potential negative is the disruption to the flow of the game but if they keep this 3 opportunities to make changes rule that’s completely negated

Think we could see multiple benefits come from this for the league as a whole if the premier league chooses to implement it.

I think the 5 subs rule is good overall. There’s no denying the bigger squads gain an advantage and we stand to gain more than anybody but trying to put that natural bias for it aside for a second there’s some big advantages to this.

The season is going to be much more condensed than usual with hardly any let up in number of games to compensate and a rescheduled Euros at the end of it too. last Christmas every single manager was moaning about not enough rest for the players is resulting in more and more injuries, well this new rule helps in that regard, being able to give rest to more players is going to dramatically reduce the number of injuries, far more injuries occur in the last 30 minutes due to fatigue than the first 60.

Not only that, the number of youngsters we see coming through is going to be significantly higher, the squad limits are going to remain the same size so there’s more scope for academy players making the bench and in turn getting some game time. that’s also going to help combat this trend of foreign clubs looking to poach academy players from this country and offer them game time, far less likely to lose talent when they’re regularly making the bench and getting some playing time.

I’m of course assuming the 9 man bench will remain too, otherwise you lose one of the key positives from this. I’ve always thought it was stupid to limit the number of player on the bench anyway, what’s the point in a 25 man squad if you can only name 18 to potentially play every week? other leagues let you fill your bench with an entire team of players, that rule should be changed regardless of keeping the five subs or not.

The only potential negative is the disruption to the flow of the game but if they keep this 3 opportunities to make changes rule that’s completely negated

Think we could see multiple benefits come from this for the league as a whole if the premier league chooses to implement it.

Agree - I think it helps the bigger (better strength in depth) squads. Over time it will put more financial pressure on the smaller clubs (more players needed). Not sure how it will go full time but in the short term youth players will benefit - they all become two players closer to game time.

5 substitute rule has been given the green light by the IFAB.

IFAB said:
'The impact on player welfare is likely to continue into 2021.'

This doesn't mean that the Premier League have to implement this rule, although I think they will.

I can see the reasoning for it:
- Pretty much no break between this season and next season.
- Internationals/Nations League still in place during domestic breaks next season.
- Euro 2021 follows next season immediately.
- Only a short break between Euro 2021 and 21/22 season.
- Mid-season World Cup will delay the finish 21/22 season.
- Not much break between 21/22 season and 22/23 season.
Safe to say it's going to be almost non-stop for 2-3 years.

I can see why clubs with small squads won't want it. A club like us will massively benefit from it, huge squad to make a difference and can keep top players happier.

I think they have to keep the rule of doing it over 3 substitute stoppages though or teams will time-waste and take the piss with it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.