Premier League Games 25/26/27 October 2024

I remember you know a bit about this sort of stuff, so if you find anything out, let me know. I just don't see how they can guarantee accuracy to 1mm, which is what they will be claiming and will base offsides on, when you have around 32 players during a game all obviously with different bodily dimensions unless you are using a large multiple of 29 data points. It seems to me, there will have to be a degree of estimation (for example the interpolation at 50 fps) which makes the claims of on/off accuracy complete bollocks. It will just look convincing ....

Will do, and I agree. I've always been of the mind that they need to build a reasonable margin of error into these systems (umpire's call in cricket is the oft cited example of this being "done well"). But PGMOL seem hell-bent on their binary interpretations - they hold positions like "offside is a statement of fact, it either is or it isn't offside" which is extremely reductionist and unhelpful.

If we had infinite precision, then you could make that argument. But we don't. It's some idealistic vision for football technology that lacks any kind of pragmatism. And this permeates the entire sorry deployment of VAR. A successful deployment of technology in any sport needs to be keenly guided by that technology's limitations.

Nunez looks like he works in one of those drug money washing car washes where you can get a valet from a team of illegal Immigrants who sell bags of sniff, carry swords and only have one set of clothes.
No chance he'd be allowed to carry a sword, he'd miss the sheathe and stab himself constantly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.