Premier League Games 30/Sept & 1/2/3 October '23

It seems that the two Var officials, along with Michael Oliver, officiated in a game in the UAE on Thursday evening and arrived back in England on Friday.

Not really sure what they were doing out there, or how common it is, but doesn’t seem ideal preparation for a game on Saturday.

I read a bit more about this yesterday.

Apparently the var officials thought ref had GIVEN the goal. They quickly reviewed and said “check complete” (which means they agree). Lines were not necessary because it was so obvious, so that isn’t the issue.

The error of course is the ref had DISALLOWED the goal so by saying check complete, they were inadvertently agreeing with THAT decision. It is clearly a comms error.

The big issue is the best league in the world is being run/ruined by absolute amateurs.

I’m staggered as to why clubs have not taken a stand on this, given the amount of collective power they have.
Good summary, that's exactly what happened. NBC sports in the US (that covered the game here) sent in questions and evidence to PGMOL on how could they have called that offside, and last night they got the answer on "welp, we screwed up".

NBC also reporting this AM before the NFO/BRE match that VAR England and Cook were part of a ref team that officiated in the UAE just 48 hours prior and flew in to be the VAR for this game. Not sure how SKY is covering this item, but opinions are split with one commentator recommending to remove it, and the other urging to improve it.

Clearly the technology is there for it to work, they just need to do a MUCH better job to take the human error factor out of it. Probably easier said than done as we're seeing.

It's certainly no Hawk-Eye as in tennis yet, which I much prefer over the human line callers at Wimbledon (missed enough to be a nuisance) and the French Open (oh really, that was the current ball mark on the clay?).

Last edited:
It seems that the two Var officials, along with Michael Oliver, officiated in a game in the UAE on Thursday evening and arrived back in England on Friday.

Not really sure what they were doing out there, or how common it is, but doesn’t seem ideal preparation for a game on Saturday.
It’d be common sense to stanardise the ruling for referees as players.

Must have 2 clear days off between games for mental and physical recovery.

Good summary, that's exactly what happened. NBC sports in the US (that covered the game here) sent in questions and evidence to PGMOL on how they could have called that offside, and last night they got the answer on "welp, we screwed up".

NBC also reporting this AM before the NFO/BRE match that VAR England and Cook were part of a ref team that officiated in the UAE just 48 hours prior and flew in to be the VAR for this game. Not sure how SKY is covering this item, but opinions are split with one commentator recommending to remove it, and the other urging to improve it.

Clearly the technology is there for it to work, they just need to do a MUCH better job to take the human error factor out of it. Probably easier said than done as we're seeing.

It's certainly no Hawk-Eye as in tennis yet, which I much prefer over the human line callers at Wimbledon (missed enough to be a nuisance) and the French Open (oh really, that was the current ball mark on the clay?).
Hawk eye calls in football should be 100% correct. Always. The technology is there.

Football has far more subjective calls than other sports, which will always create debate, whatever technology is in place. Ie How much of a push is a foul? How much holding is a foul? Etc.

I read a bit more about this yesterday.

Apparently the var officials thought ref had GIVEN the goal. They quickly reviewed and said “check complete” (which means they agree). Lines were not necessary because it was so obvious, so that isn’t the issue.

The error of course is the ref had DISALLOWED the goal so by saying check complete, they were inadvertently agreeing with THAT decision. It is clearly a comms error.

The big issue is the best league in the world is being run/ruined by absolute amateurs.

I’m staggered as to why clubs have not taken a stand on this, given the amount of collective power they have.
I mean it seems like that should be a pretty straightforward thing to solve. 'Check complete' is clearly way too vague. Just say that the fucking decision is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.