Premier League Games Played Overseas Back On The Agenda?

I'm not as inimical to change as most others who follow football. The game has always changed. Those that eulogise about the erstwhile format of the European Cup representing all that has heritage within the game, conspicuously ignore that it existed in that format for less than twice the time that the Champions League has been in situ. Change, in an even changing world, is inevitable. Those that cannot accept that are bound to live in constant disappointment.

I do feel, however, that the principle of teams playing each other in a league system: once at home and once away, should be preserved in aspic. It has a simplistic beauty.

Look at playing the Community Shield, or other one off fixtures on this basis, but don't undermine the integrity of something that has delivered such imperious growth to the English game.

Change is inevitable, but it should never be embraced unreservedly.

de niro said:
Blue2112 said:
I think it might signify the end of football for me if it came in. Just cannot see how fair it would be too any of the teams involved.

we'll find out soon enough. a european league is not that far away.

There've been saying that for nearly 20 years, and they'll still be talking about it in another 20

Such a stupid idea, just want a slice of the emerging American market. It will be us fans that suffer of course because do you really think it will be us vs Hull which will be the game taken abroad? Nope it will be the derby meaning we either pay a fortune to fly over to watch the derby or we miss out.

Blue Hefner said:
de niro said:
Blue2112 said:
I think it might signify the end of football for me if it came in. Just cannot see how fair it would be too any of the teams involved.

There've been saying that for nearly 20 years, and they'll still be talking about it in another 20
A European Super League quite simply would not work, commercially.

This will really benefit clubs with a huge global fan base such as the rags, dippers and the arse.
Wouldn't surprise me if these three clubs are pushing this idea.

Although our fan base is growing we are light years behind these fcukers.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Blue Hefner said:
de niro said:

A European Super League quite simply would not work, commercially.

It would if it was the only way to watch football on TV.

Shirley said:
This will really benefit clubs with a huge global fan base such as the rags, dippers and the arse.
Wouldn't surprise me if these three clubs are pushing this idea.

Although our fan base is growing we are light years behind these fcukers.

That's true enough, but consider this. Two of the worst teams in the NFL played a game at Wembley the other week in front of 85,000 people.

There is not much interest in the NFL in the UK, but the game sold out.

There is huge interest in the Premier League all over the world, and the appetite of those fans to watch a game in their own country must surely mean that attending a live game, be it Stoke v Hull, is an attractive proposition, like the NFL game in London. The games would sell out,

Nobody cared at Wembley the other week the teams they were watching were not very good. They went to watch gridiron from the USA.

Football fans in the USA, Thailand, Japan, India, wherever, will similarly want to go to watch and experience a Premier League game from England.

The Italian Cup Final this year is being played outside of Italy. La Liga is also considering games being played outside Spain.

It's not a 39th game being added, but a regular, mid season game, which would add to the attractiveness of the fixtures.

Given the avarice of the Premier League these days, I can see it happening, sadly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.