Premier League ( midweek ) Games 2/3/4 March

Something interesting I've noticed, and its a change Pep has made that others have seemingly followed is the lack of a very high press from the top teams compared to the last few seasons.

Definitely see that the schedule has made managing fatigue a priority for sure, but I also think that teams have also developed better to handle the high press and that the risk-reward isn't as good as it use to be.

Teams are using their GK alot more, and using 5 players to connect with the GK from deep (CBs are also allowed in the box with the GK) means they can numerically beat any press if drilled properly. If the opposition then pushes numbers up with a stronger press, then you can just have your GK kick it long in the vacant spaces behind for your wingers, which is a big risk for the pressing team.

We were conceding alot to this from our high press, teams were either numerically beating our press or finding space behind and Pep logically changed us to instead counter press if the ball is lost or just sit deep if we don't get it back.

For this game, notice how useless Liverpool's press is against Chelsea, Chelsea are evading it like nothing, and now Liverpool have stopped trying.

Offensively absolutely. I was a little concerned that going with a back three against a front three might leave their centre backs one-on-one with a forward too often but to be fair Kanté and Chilwell have both been extremely diligent in plugging those gaps
Yes he put kante and jorginho in front of them For protection. Like i said almost like liverpools MO the last seasom or two.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.